TIR + xenon?

Illum

Flashaholic
before its evolution to the reflectors, Inova used TIR optics as an increase in throw...okay, but since LEDs are weaker the incandescents...what might happen if a TIR is added to a xenon light?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIR-optics are especially designed for use with front-emitting sources, they also cannot cope with the heat that comes with Xenon.

But don't worry: Led's are beginning to surpass incans on surface brightness, and will produce lights with better throw soon!

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine the TIR lens would make the light bulkier at the head in order to project the light from an incan source.

Illum

Flashaholic
well, come to think of it....other than the "creativity" theres not really an advantage of using it is there?

Ra, I know LEDs are developing rapidly...soon incandescent bulbs will be as rare as vacuum tubes....okay will not that soon but you get the point:grin2:

LED61, Perhaps I used the wrong example....Inovas TIR system is essentially overkill IMO. something compact like the Surefire KL head, i was just wondering what might that look like on a xenon light

Thanks....:wave:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, not exactly aspherical, but something like it. Hella and Bosch pioneered the first DE elliptical projector lens for halogens in 1990's BMW's. They became the foundation for the brighter HID capsules. The old halogen projectors with their lens had too many hotspots and had to be redesigned so the HID's extra lumens were thrown more evenly and more to the sides. My understanding is aspherical lens can be designed for any particular beam pattern that includes spill, whereas the car projector lens do not allow for any spill which on the road would equate to glare.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when it comes to car projector headlights (BMW used the system with normal Halogens be4 HID became "common"), anyone can very easy touch the system:
Get some of these cheap "projecting beam" additional fog lights and dismantle them.

Inside there is the bulb, housed very deep inside a very deep reflector that focuses into a very short focal point. At this distance there is some kind of "light blocker", usually a metal sheet with a small hole (located at focal point), that blocks ANY light not at the FC. After that there is again some space to have the beam widen and finally a large aspheric lense to align the light.

There are also some flashlights that use this system (Docter Aspherilux) (I have one)

Beam of all of these is only a light tunnel, absolutely no spill (because that is wasted away thanks to the light blocking "sheet").

This is by far my most hated and worst light, its totally useless in my opinion not to use about 50 % of the light emitted from the source.
As a pro, one could mention, that the system can be made with less diameter than traditional headlights. Very good for the designers of modern cars, and the spill from the bulb is also not used very good in normal lights (reflectored back)

By changing the hole You can make different outcomes. f.e. widening the hole and also direct spill comes to the lense and thus leaves the light as spill

PS: back on topic: an optic wont work with any bulb source ;)