10 D maglite??

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I am looking for a 10 D cell maglite. I have heard that there exists such a thing. From what I have read, they were produced in the mid 1980's. Does anyone know where one would go or look to acquire one of these rare giants?
Thanks!!
Dave

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard a verified report. If they did make them, it was a totally custom order and never sold to the public. Largest standard model was 7D.

If you find two I want one for the museum. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to save yourself some looking around time, you might want to give Mag a call to see if such a product ever actually existed.

FireFighter05 said:
Hello all,
I am looking for a 10 D cell maglite. I have heard that there exists such a thing.

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
FireFighter05 said:
Hello all,
I am looking for a 10 D cell maglite. I have heard that there exists such a thing. From what I have read, they were produced in the mid 1980's. Does anyone know where one would go or look to acquire one of these rare giants?
Thanks!!
Dave

How are you planning to use such "thing" ? :huh2:

paulr

Flashaholic
I think 7D was the largest one made in one piece, but modders have made some longer ones in multiple sections, including maybe a 10 cell. I remember seeing something like that on BST recently.

Cydonia

Enlightened
How about taking three 3D Mag's and strapping them together with some nice machined mechanism? Or even stainless hose clamps from Home Depot and pieces of rubber hose or tire in-between the Mag's as spacers. You'd get triple the light, a convenient short package that's easy to carry etc., And if you want less light, just turn one or two off! Too bulky? Just use C cell Mag's!!

Drop in 3 of the new TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrades and blaze out 300 Lumens. Use 4D Mag's and get 150 Lumens each = 450!
I think I'm going to try this idea one day…

:xyxgun: Light cannon!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Welch Alynn WA01166 could be installed to get several hours of 800-900 lumens.

Here's some info from member lithium as best he could recall:

lithium said:
The first 'official' Mag-lite(tm) (latter labeled with a (c)and then an (r))was made in 1979. A number of lights were made before this starting in the early 1970's. These lights were not standardized retail products and had various labels that did or did not include Mag-lite, Mag Instrument, Los Angeles and others. There is debate as to what inscription was used first on true production models. What is known is that by around late 1981, the company moved to Ontario, Ca and began to use this location in the label (in place of L. A. or no location). Non 'Ontario' lights are rather rare. Perhaps this info will help with the time frame.

As for sizes, Mag did make both C and D in seven cell. I don't recall the exact date, but by about the mid 1980's the 7D was dropped. The 7C went on into the early 1990's. By special order, up to a 10D and 12C could be had until around 1984. There are rumors of 14C, but I have never seen one (good throw, but outstanding swing!!!). These special order lights came with an adapter (a big 'dummy cell' made of an aluminum rod and two 'washers') to run on four, five or six cells as requested. As Threepio pointed out, the seven cell argon bulbs were about as bright as the five and not desired. (The after market krypton bulbs were brighter but cost a whopping $10 in the early 1980's.)

Today, the six cell is the largest made and, unfortunately, the company has firmly implanted an (*) into M*g /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

As for head sizes, the 'large' head was the extra-large size and rather rare. The large is the standard (and only) size of today. The small head is the rarest worldwide, while the extra-large is rarest in the USA. Btw, I will pay top $ for a good condition small head (flashlight, that is).

I am not an expert on the history of Mag-lite, but feel free to ask questions. I hope this helps.

I couldn't find the 10 D Mag. I vaguely remember someone saying they saw one on eBay a couple of years ago.

Here's member Larry1582's
12 D L.A. Screw Products, 12 C Kel-lite, 5 D Mag-lite, 4 D Mag-lite, Unknown 5 D, 5 D Kel-lite, RayOVac Police, 5 D Streamlight, 5 D Streamlight, 3 D Streamlight, 2 C Bianchi B-lite and 2 C Streamlight:

mvc-021f.jpg

More of Larry's collection

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to get in touch with Lithium a while back, never head anything. I'd love to get photos of those custom Mag-Lites.

Larry's 12D light is a segmented model, with 3D tubes. Brinkmann and Nordic will also do this if you're feeling like experimenting.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too!

I like Larry's 12 C Kel-lite.

BTW, if I ever see a big Kel-lite or another CS Brute in BST I'll PM you immediately. If it's a Brute I'll just buy it right away and sell it back to you at cost if the price is reasonable.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a 6D I extended it to 11D with extensions. Sold it just recently.
I still have a 6D with 3D and 1D extensions.
Want it?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
GeorgePaul said:
Hmmm...a D cell is about 60 mm long. 10 would be 600 mm. 600 mm/(25.4 mm/in)=23.6" or about 2 feet.

You know, I originally posted that I knew a guy that had a 10 or 20 D Mag, because I actually seem to remember it being 20 D's, but I looked at my 3 D, which to my eye appears to over a foot, so I just thought, "well, maybe it wasn't 20 D," so, that's why, in parentheses, I put "(at least 10 D.)"

Since you've pointed out that 10 would only be about 2 feet, I am now inclined to think that it was actually a 20 D Mag. It was *at least* 4 feet. The guy actually used to collect Maglites and had lots of them of all sizes, maybe 30 or 40 in all.

I just saw the guy last night. I gave him some WA1160 bulbs and a couple of mica heat shields for his Magcharger. He still has to pay me for them, so I'll be seeing him again. I'll ask him about his 20 D (?) Maglite and get specific details and also ask him what ever happened to it. Who knows, maybe I can track it down and get it from whoever owns it now.

Last edited: