Where Can I Buy LEDs For Inside Of Car

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
Where can i buy some LED bulbs for my car. Mostly I would like to replace all the inside bulbs of my car with LEDs. I saw something terralux made that fits BA15 bases, but I doubt that is a bulb that would be on the inside of my car. Are there any good websites that sell these? Thanks

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
last ones i tried were from Velocityleds
http://stores.ebay.com/Velocity-LEDs
they were Just barely adequite, and still not "DOT" approved.
umm DOT approved, means if sombody crashes into the back of your car because they were illegally following to close, then they try to tack blame on you by saying you were using brake lights or running lights that were inadequite , unaproved by the goverment, and therfore are the cause of the accident.
(aka, they sue your arse off)

the 32 led ones, for 1157 2057 and 3057 replacements were not overall as bright as what they replaced.
the "markers" like the 194 and 164, were adequite light IF you replaced a 9 bulb 164 with a 194.

that is my basic review of em. i DO use them, but take a risk.

when i did some of my own stuff, i used 1W type RED leds, a bit of resistance, and got a fully adequitly bright light from that.
also some mods i did on the internal lights using 1 and 3W luxeons.

again i was still not bulletproof with any of that, as its not "DOT" approved. at least it was bright enough.

bobski

Newly Enlightened
SuperBrightLEDs.com has a pretty good selection of automotive bulb replacements. I've ordered some stuff from them in the past, mostly to retrofit a few gauge clusters. No complaints here.
Like VidPro was saying, the brightness of LED exterior bulb replacements still seems to be lacking. But if you're only after interior bulbs, LEDs should be workable. Just look for the brightest, widest beam pattern part you can fit in the desired location. Automotive lighting often uses light guides to evenly illuminate multiple controls with a single bulb. Such guides generally draw light from the side of the bulb, so it's often necessary to use an LED with a very wide beam pattern to get acceptable results... Thus the bulbs with side-firing LEDs and inverted lenses.

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.autolumination.com has a great selection and great products. They have high flux, 1 & 2 led "festoon' type bulbs for the interior that I havent been able to find elsewhere. The 2 led festoon bulbs i got were almost as bright as the filiment bulbs they replaced! The only exterior bulbs that are practical are the 168/194 high-flux for corner markers and for what I use them for, license plate illumination. The other exterior bulbs(1157, etc.) for brakes and signals work but the chances that your tail light reflectors are designed to put them to use is slim.

riffraff

Enlightened
bobski said:
SuperBrightLEDs.com has a pretty good selection of automotive bulb replacements. I've ordered some stuff from them in the past, mostly to retrofit a few gauge clusters. No complaints here.
[...]
+1 for superbrightleds.com. I've ordered from them numerous times; never a problem.