High power colored led, what is best option for upgrade?

tkflash1

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. i am looking to upgrade some of my lights and i wanted to know what is the best colored high power led's? I now have a few Dorcy 1 watt 3D flashlights with colored Luxeon 3 watt led's (green and red/orange) in them but there seem to be some higher lumen options now. Seoul makes some 5 watt led's model # 11490. There is also CML, and Ledengin that offer higher powered colored Led's. Being a dorcy upgrade, having a star option would be the easiest to do. Has anyone installed some of the multi die led's in a dorcy 3D reflector yet? It has a large hole in bottom so should fit over most led's out there but i don't know how the beam would look. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

tkflash1

Newly Enlightened
:bumpit:

Gee, no one else interested in colored power LED's? Those Seoul 5 watt ones are lower voltage than the luxeon 5 watt led but i have no experience with them. Anyone else use them? part # 10490 or 11490?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post links to suppliers and tech info? Have you done your own mods, if so pointer to those?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, what exactly do you do with these crazy bright colored lights? I have three QIIIs with R/O, green and RB Lux IIIs, but they are just play toys other than the green.

I'm going to try a USW0H SSC in my Dorcy 3D when I get some. I'd imagine it would be a bit better of a beam than in the stock Mag reflector as the Dorcy is deeper.

tkflash1

Newly Enlightened
One place i was looking was Mouser electronics at:
http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine...0+4294809840&Ns=P_SField&Msb=0&RefType=Header
and:
http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine...0+4294779627&Ns=P_SField&Msb=0&RefType=Header
I also have seen them advertised at Arrow electronics:
http://lighting.arrow.com/
I am not sure if you can buy right from them though.

As to why i want them, number one cause they are neat! :grin2: But i also have used them for spotting deer close to houses or in fields and if I can get a bright enough red or red/orange i want to use it in coyote hunting.
The Dorcy's are great for throw and the lux 3's i put in are very bright (simple star swap) but lux 3's have been out for a while now and I was trying to find something newer/brighter. I plan on getting a SSC P4 U bin soon for my white one but they don't make them in colored LED's. The lux 5's are too high a voltage and the seoul 5 watt ones are between 3 and 4 Volts which would be easier to use but i don't know if they come on stars or how they work. You can't always believe the stats.

I don't have any photos but other people have shown ones on here of their mods. It is pretty much the samething, just different color light output.

jjyoung

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for some red seoul p4 led's too. I want to make a fixture to mount 5 of them on my gun scope for hunting coyotes at night. Guess I could just use a red filter, but red led's would be easier.

SemiMan

Banned
The technology for AlInGaP leds, i.e. Red, Orange, Amber has not progressed very much so even though the LuxIII is old, anything new is not much better. I think the OSRAM LEDS may be a bit better than LuxIII at least at lower currents, however, the LUXIII has much better thermal resistance so it may be a wash.

How long do you typically leave your flashlight on? I find my LuxIII RED mod works good for about 5 minutes and then the light drops off a lot as it gets warm. I have played around with the current. I can reduce the current and get it brighter after 5 minutes, but without as much light to start.

Semiman

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one I really use is the Green. It's pretty bright. It's in a QIII which I run with an R123 so it's basically direct drive. It's a T-bin, so as I said, it's pretty bright. For pure brightness, I can't really imagine needing anything significantly brighter. If it was in a light with a variable current driver, I could see getting something brighter and sending less current for longer runtimes, but I only really have a need of about 30 minutes or so.

I use the green one for spotting deer and the occasional fox outside my father in laws cabin. He has about 270 degrees of woods so there is plenty of ground to cover so to speak. The green absolutely does not spook deer at all where I've found that with white light, if I sweep it back and forth, eventually the deer will look my direction, then when I move the light again, they will take off. This just does not happen with the green.

To be honest, I've never tried it with an R/O light. Does it equally not spook game? The first R/O light I did was a three of them direct drive in parallel in a 3D Mag.

It was... bright.
icon10.gif

But I took it apart, put one in an Element, one in the QIII and have one star as a spare.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the S1J CYAN Lux III ~495nm. It is crazy bright at 3.6V. I wish there was a one die emitter in the same color that was even brighter. :sigh:

tkflash1

Newly Enlightened
Those 5 watt seoul are only 3 to 4 volt and they are rated pretty bright. The green is 189 Lumen, the cyan is 150 lumen, white is 178 lumen and red is only 114 lumen but that is at 2 to 3 volts. They arent as efficient as the P4 but with the lower voltage than the lux 5 they would be easier to drive in a flashlight. The only problem would be getting them on stars. Also, i don't know how accurate those ratings are, but most of those are way brighter than the lux 3. I was hoping someone had tried them out and knew how they worked.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some green 3 watt luxeons. Of course a GREEN CREE?!, would be a great idea!:sold:

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm --- these look like they'd drop right in, to replace a white LED in the cheap Chinese 3xAAA lights. can that make sense? They have a link supposed to be for a resistor calculator for other voltages for these LEDs but it's broken.

ProLight 5 Watts Amber LED with Star PCB
DC Forward Voltage (VF): Min 3.75V, Typ 4.40V, Max 6.20V
DC Forward Current (IF): Typ 700mA