Wiseled Tactical review!!

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Wiseled Tactical review!

As I wrote in an earlier thread, I received a Wiseled Tactical from www.wiseled.com, and I promised you guys to make a review of it. And here it is! To have something to compare the Wiseled Tactical with, I made some beam shots of the same scenes (i.e. the beam shots below) with a MagLite 4 D, normal incandescant bulb. And yes, I do know that I am comparing apples to oranges, but maybe you can still get an idea of the light capacity of the Wiseled when seing it held against a well-known flashlight.

First I would like you to know that I am a total newbee into the fascinating world of flashlights, and even though the candlepowerforum server now states that I am "enlightened", don't be fooled, since I neither have all the equipment nor knowledge enough about flashlights to make a very "scientific" review. So please read this review as what it is: Just my impression of the light. But I did make quite a few beam shots for you which you will be able to see by clicking on the links below.

Secondly I must add that there was some problems with the first light I got from Wiseled. I charged it fully, and expected a run time of about 140 minutes (as stated on Wiseled's website) on FULL boost (approx. 1,000 lumens), but got a mere 53 minutes run time. So I returned the light to Wiseled, and they sent me a new immediately.

The strange thing is that the flashlight is expected to have better run times in cold environment since this would cool it down. And the initial LOW run time of 53 minutes was in fact made in quite a cold environment, namely outside at 2 degress Celsius.

But here is the strange thing: Later I charged it again, and after that I let the light just simply stand on my desk inside at 22 degrees and even though I did not touch the light (your hands blood circulation helps it cool down, Wiseled says), the light ran 1 hour and 17 minutes (and well, correction, I DID touch it, since I boosted it up every time it throttled down to 70 % of its full light capacity). The light did get very warm as expected (but not too warm to hold), but I was thrilled to see that it could deliver such a nice run time in a warm environment.

Also, I noted that the charger made an annoying high frequency sound during charging, so I had the charger returned as well, but the second charger made the sound, too. I then got the explanation that this kind of charger, which has a switch built in, simply DOES make that sound, and nothing can be done about it. Your wife may also make some high frequency sounds from time to time, and nothing can be done about that either. So there you have it J

A piece of information I missed from Wiseled is the fact that the charger needs FOUR pieces of equipment to charge the light properly (so for fairness' sake I must admit that maybe I simply did not charge the first light correctly to start with). So what you need is (1) the rectangular transformer, (2) the cable to put into one (the left) end of it and therefrom directly into the mains, (3) a short MIDDLE piece of extension cable put into the other, right, end of the transformer making this part the piece of information I missed information about, and finally (4): the longer charging cable which goes into the other end of the middle piece of cable and then into the light itself. All pieces are included in the package and also a car charger.

Wiseled has also made a wall charger which I ordered (making it an optional FIVE-piece equipment needed to charge the flashlight), since I thought it would be nice to have the light hanging on the wall. BUT: The wall charger was not made that ingeniously, I am afraid. Because when you screw it onto the wall and put the flashlight into it, the flashlight's surface scrapes against the wall. The problem is simply that the back side of the charger is not made thick enough to make enough distance from the wall. But I phoned Wiseled about it, and they are currently making a new and improved wall charger. I corrected the fault by using some rubber pieces between the wall charger and the wall to create the needed distance.

I would like to add that Wiseled has been VERY patient with my perfectionism (which lead me to buy their light in the first place!), and I can only but recommend their products and professional service.

By the way: I kept looking after some sort of serial number on my Wiseled Tactical but couldn't just find any. I phoned Wiseled again, and they told me that if you unscrew the piece just behind the lanyard ring, the serial number is right under it (phote attached). This is the ONLY part you can unscrew, and I would like to add the the threadding is perfect! It is made like a precision made tool, e.g. a weapon!

Now for the beam shots taken in the surroundigs where I live, Denmark. There will be an explanation before every link.

The following link presents a picture of the serial number. Please note that the lanyard ring can actually be taken off if you want to, but then you have to use a ballpoint pen to press down the small spring loaded steel button while pulling off the lanyard ring across the threading (again something I had to figure out myself, since there was no information about it):

DSC00552.jpg

Here are some beam shots. The first shots in the living room are without the MagLite 4D, by the way.

The first one is in the living room, just slightly lit from the light from the adjacent room (base photo sort of speak):

PICT0121.jpg

Here is the same room lit up at a 10 metre distance with the Wiseled Tactical on FULL boost:

PICT0122.jpg

And here at the other end of the living room, again FULL boost:

PICT0123.jpg

Here is a picture of a white 10 feet boat in the harbour at about 50 metres distance. Please note that is was very foggy weather that night. The first beam shot is from the MagLite 4D:

PICT0143.jpg

Same photo and distance taken with the Wiseled Tactical on full boost:

PICT0144.jpg

Now it is getting SPOOKY! 'Cause THIS photo, taken with my MagLite 4D, is from a churchyard aiming at the chapel, 15 metres away:

PICT0159.jpg

Yes, you are right. Not much to see on that photo!

But please compare it to the very same chapel in the Wiseled light, full boost:

PICT0160.jpg

SOME difference, huh?!

Same thing applies to a tree top, about 10 metres away (here with the MagLite 4D):

PICT0155.jpg

And the same tree top with the Wiseled Tactical, full boost:

PICT0156.jpg

Here is a shrubbery with a white garten gate to the left of it, taken with the MagLite 4D:

PICT0157.jpg

The same shrubbery taken with the Wiseled Tactical, full boost:

PICT0158.jpg

My stroll then went down memory lane to my old school in Faaborg. Here is a shot a the school windows at an approx. 25 metre distance with the MagLite 4D:

PICT0163.jpg

And with the Wiseled Tactical on full boost (please note how the ceiling is illuminated, too. :wow: :

PICT0164.jpg

Now for some inside shots again. This time in the attick which is completely dark and exactly 20 metres long.

With the MagLite 4D:

PICT0170.jpg

And with the Wiseled Tactical, FULL boost:

PICT0174.jpg

Here the same view, but with the Wiseled Tactical on MEDIUM boost:

PICT0172.jpg

And on LOW boost:

PICT0173.jpg

And the grand finale is a demonstration of the STROBE function (please allow some time to see it, since I chose to let the flashlight light a bit before activating the strobe:

I hope you enjoyed reading this review as much as I did playing with my Wiseled Tactical :wave:

Last edited:

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
nice review and beam shots. I really like how you compared it with a 4d mag and made outside shots. glad to see it's not the same old white wall shots that don't do much justice. :lolsign::goodjob:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Really great review and pics Stella_Polaris :goodjob:

I guess that I don't understand the run-time situation with this light, very well.
You seem to be getting much longer run times than in the Flashlight Reviews test.

I realize that at first output it produces 1000 lumens, but according to Flashlight Reviews, it lost 78% of its ouput after 8 minutes. Is this also what you've experienced Stella?

JanCPF

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Bo. Good work :thumbsup: You need a tripod for your camera though :laughing: but the point is getting through.

What is it with the throttling down by it self business. Quickbeams review also revealed this. I'm thinking this light cannot handle the internal heat buildup, and some protection circuit intervenes. But if that is the case, why is it then possible to just click it up to boost level right away? Bo, how long does it take before it throttles down by it self?

Jan
Greetings from another Dane BTW :wave:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
JanCPF said:
Thanks for the review Bo. Good work :thumbsup: You need a tripod for your camera though :laughing: but the point is getting through.

What is it with the throttling down by it self business. Quickbeams review also reveiled this. I'm thinking this light cannot handle the internal heat buildup, and some protection circuit intervenes. But if that is the case, why is it then possible to just click it up to boost level right away? Bo, how long does it take before it throttles down by it self?

Jan

What JanCPF said. This looks like a nice light, but some of it's functionality is baffling to me.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
"I realize that at first output it produces 1000 lumens, but according to Flashlight Reviews, it lost 78% of its ouput after 8 minutes. Is this also what you've experienced Stella?"

>> The Wiseled that was reviewed back then i October 06 had a fault. My Wiseled throttles down to about 70 % of FULL boost after about 8 minutes depending on the environment. But you can boost if up again immediately if wanted. But I can guarantee that it did NOT "lose" 78 % of its output. This would be equivalent to being in the lowest mode, and obviously my eyes would have noticed such a drastic drop in effect. No: I would say that is loses about 30 % after the initial 8 minutes.

A tripod?? Well, yes, I admit the pics are a bit shaky, but I am no pro at making photos.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
To be absolutely clear about this: The flashlight has 70 % percent of its FULL 1,000 lumen capacity when the flashlight has been on for say 8 minutes. NOT 30 percent, meaning that it lost 70 %.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Stella Polaris,
Do you know if it will also do the throttling down when submerged in water. I would find it unacceptable if my primary dive light suddenly decides to go dimmer on me.

Jan
Sorry about the tripod remark - no offence meant. I know how much hard work it is to take beamshots.

Last edited:

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
I do not know if the light would throttle down under water since I am no diver. But I would suspect that IF it throttles down, it would take considerably more time before it does so due to cold water that would cool it down.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Stella_Polaris said:
To be absolutely clear about this: The flashlight has 70 % percent of its FULL 1,000 lumen capacity when the flashlight has been on for say 8 minutes. NOT 30 percent, meaning that it lost 70 %.

So I'm understanding that your light is producing aproximately 1000 lumens, drops to about 700 after 8 minutes. You can immediately press the boost button and it goes back up to 1000 lumens, and you can repeat this cycle continuously for about 140 minutes, at which time any additional applications of the boost button do nothing?

Was it verified that the Wiseled in the October Flashlight Review test was defective or are you speculating based on how yours is operating?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really not trying to badger you either, :) promiss. I'm just trying to understand this light a little better.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Quoting:

"So I'm understanding that your light is producing aproximately 1000 lumens, drops to about 700 after 8 minutes. You can immediately press the boost button and it goes back up to 1000 lumens, and you can repeat this cycle continuously for about 140 minutes, at which time any additional applications of the boost button do nothing?

Was it verified that the Wiseled in the October Flashlight Review test was defective or are you speculating based on how yours is operating?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really not trying to badger you either,
smile.gif
promiss. I'm just trying to understand this light a little better.
Thanks
smile.gif
"

Answer: Apparantly YES to the question about getting a defective light if you look at the following link:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/printthread.php?t=135633&page=3&pp=30

And you can see more beam shots from the Wiseled Tactical plus of the flashlight's design. Better quality photos altogether than mine, I must admit)under this link:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/printthread.php?t=135633&page=1&pp=30

(scroll down to see some very convincing beam shots at trees).

And to answer your other question: Yes, you can boost the light up every time you want to, but of course you would then only be able to count on maximum 140 minutes run time, depending on outside temperature.

DM51

Flashaholic
SP, thanks for the review - very interesting.

If it's not a complete PITA to do, could you edit it and put the
handles each side of the photo URLs? The the photos would be loaded without having to click on them.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Quote:

"SP, thanks for the review - very interesting.

handles each side of the photo URLs? The the photos would be loaded without having to click on them."

>>> Well, I could do that, but I chose not to in order to save some space.

But I did correct some typos and some grammar and spelling (I hope). I am Danish, you know, and I tend not to use a dictionary when I am writing English, but then I stumbled over some obvious faults, and being a perfectionist, I simply HAD to correct them at 1.15 A.M. :laughing:

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Quote:

"SP, thanks for the review - very interesting.

handles each side of the photo URLs? The the photos would be loaded without having to click on them."

>>> Okay. DONE!

roadie

Enlightened
i still can't seem to know why this light is so expensive, it is jus a array of 7 x K2 Luxeon on a Li rechargeable.

Yes, i know it can "sink" to a couple of hundred metres but ...i dont think divers will get this type of LEDs light to go diving with ..... Or be able to dive that deep .. :)
If to that depth, a HID is usually prefer as i heard its sometimes milky and long stretches of darkness .....

if i not wrong, its 10 inches long right , which a 2 D maglite length is .... i jus measure my mag, :)

to me personnally, its a inflated selling price piece of 'old' technology light ( compare to cree) ...... came too late, too expensive,

jus my 2 cents thoughts

:)

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Looks like you have to check your photobucket files.

DOH! :banghead:

I am an IDIOT! I deleted most of the photos from Photobucket to save some space there, and I only kept the beam shots from my living room.

That is the reason :banghead: :banghead:

But don't cry, guys!

I will make a new review IF Wiseled comes up with an updated Tactical. :twothumbs