Output L1P Vs L1D-CE

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the original Fenix L1P's from the first Group Buy. Can anyone tell me how the output of the L1D-CE compares to the output of my L1P????

I really don't NEED a new EDC light, but if the output is dramatically different, I could be tempted...

Sean

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Like night and day.

L1P = night.

L1D-CE = day. :)

Both great lights, but the L1D-CE REALLY blows the L1P away in terms of output, features, runtime, pretty much everything. But to it's credit, I really like my L1P and it's one of only three Luxeon lights that I kept after replacing/modifying the rest to Crees and Seouls.

Last edited:

arty

Enlightened
Sometimes you can have too much light.
An excessively bright light can ruin your night vision, and make it hard to see.
Enough light depends on what you want the light for.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Yep! Another significant point for the L1D-CE - variable output.
arty said:
Sometimes you can have too much light.
An excessively bright light can ruin your night vision, and make it hard to see.
Enough light depends on what you want the light for.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt, the L1D-CE is brighter than the L1P.

BUT, the L1P has a nice smooth beam, with an even transition from spot to spill. The L1D-CE has circles and rings, with a slight blotchiness to the center spot.

I like my L2D-CE (which has the same head as the L1D), but I wish it had a smooth beam like the L1P.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
racerx2oo3 said:
Rather than numbers, etc. I'm more interested in how users percieve the difference.

Sean
Having had both lights and testing them side by side in a canyon on a dark night, I concluded that the L1D-CE set on medium looks to have the same output as the L1P. With the output looking equal, the L1P on NIMH will last about 2hr 15min while the L1D will reportedly last 5hr 24min.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Per my numbers from my home built integrating sphere.

Fenix L1P V2.5 - Duracell 2650mAh Ni-MH: 403 - (est 28.79 lumens)
Fenix L1D CE - medium - Duracell 2650mAh Ni-MH: 434 (est 31 lumens)

Fenix%20L1D%20CE%20-%20medium%20vs%20L1P%20V2.5.png

The difference is that the L1D CE stays close to that brightness for the entire run, while the L1P is constantly dimming.