Eliminate, or at least seriously reduce, the rings in your LxD CE!

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize if this has been discussed before. I know that at least one CPF'er has replaced the reflector in his L1D CE. I have an easier and cheaper solution to eliminate the ring in the beam.

For $2.50 you can buy a mild diffuser at Lighthound. Here's the link:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2212

It's slightly larger than the lens for the Fenix, but since it's plastic it can easily be trimmed. I used the lens as a template and used the very sharp scissors on my leatherman to do the trimming. This would be hard to do with household scissors as they may be too large.

Anyway, the reflector on mine came out quite easily, just use a small pair of needlenose. I put the diffuser under my lens, between the lens and the reflector. Reassemble and you're in business. I'm so excited to finally be happy with the beam in this light! :)

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
One big problem for many folks here; you reduce the throw.

I like diffuser film, but, like I said...:dedhorse:

I may do that since that is what has kept me fome getting an L1D-CE.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are some people getting more pronounced rings than others? The ring on my L1D is hard to see unless your shining on a white wall, and even then you have to be looking for it to notice.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
either that or some ppl are more sensitive to the ring than others

LowBat, is your L1D cree reasonably centered on the reflector?

I dont mind a little bit ring, but ring coupled with non-center emitter will drive me crazy

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my second L1D CE. The ring is pretty noticeable on either. However, I am sensitive to these types of things. I noticed it just shining the light at the sidewalk or a fence. Drove me nuts! Fortunately, the tint on this one (I sold the last one) is perfect. But I'm a sucker for a floody, artifact-free beam. That's what I get with the diffuser. Yes, it does cut throw. While walking the dog tonight I noticed I couldn't illuminate a dark spot in between the fences (about 15 yards away) as well as I could before. However, not a biggy to me.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
shiftd said:
either that or some ppl are more sensitive to the ring than others

LowBat, is your L1D cree reasonably centered on the reflector?

I dont mind a little bit ring, but ring coupled with non-center emitter will drive me crazy
Yes the cree in my L1D is well centered.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been recenltly trying diffusers on my lights. I got some WriteRite type plastic film used for PDA's and I find that I am really liking the floody beam. I do like throw but I am finding the the flood very useful in everyday tasks. With the diffusers on, my lights light up an entire room and I do not have to move the light around as much. I also like how the diffuser eliminates rings and artifacts (like in my SMJLED minimag).

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any comparison beamshots with the mild diffuser on? I'd gladly give up some throw for more flood, but I still want a little bit of spot.

I tried using a bit of Scotch tape for a diffuser. It worked too well. The beam was so soft, and it put too much light off to the side. When the light was tail standing, you couldn't get too close to the light without getting a lot of it in your eye. I want to soften the beam somewhat, but I don't really want to significantly increase the overall beam angle.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used Write-Rite on my L1D-CE. It eliminates the ringy artifacts and doesn't appear to affect the throw much. On another light, Write-Rite reduced peak lux readings by about 25%, but much of that light is now appearing elsewhere in the beam, so the total lumen reduction is probably significantly less than that.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a light diffusion lens in my FLuPIC Cree Elly because the beam was really crappy with the Cree and the stock plastic reflector. It spread the hot spot out throughout the entire beam, not totally but a lot of it. Like Oddjob said, the flashlight didn't have to be aimed to where you were looking.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
No too long ago, a member posted THE way to get rid of the rings, and totally free (dont remember the title).

--> turn the head parts of the Fenixes (D-CE models) till the rings are gone.

As nomerous ppl, I have done this also, but do not really notice a decease in throw. Maybe just a bit.

Latest posts