Cree emitter removal?

kevinm

Enlightened
Hey guys,

How do I get a Cree off of a star? Is it like pulling a Luxeon emitter or no? I was thinking just solder wick out the solder and slide it off, but I thought I'd ask before destroying one.

Thanks,
Kevin

aml

Newly Enlightened
desolder, but then the emitter itself may be thermal epoxied onto the star.

Nothing that a pneumatic chisel cant take care of.;)

nightrider

Enlightened
CPF member Julian Holtz posted this cool video a while back of removing a Cree from a star and reflow soldering it onto some copper. Turn up the volume and hear how cool he is while doing this.

I would have burned myself for sure. :)

Julian's my hero everytime I watch this video!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes it look easy. Preparation is key.
That now unpopulated star sizzles and smokes nicely when it finally gets pulled off the stovetop burner.

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
nightrider said:
CPF member Julian Holtz posted this cool video a while back of removing a Cree from a star and reflow soldering it onto some copper. Turn up the volume and hear how cool he is while doing this.

I would have burned myself for sure. :)

Julian's my hero everytime I watch this video!

That video is awesome. I just picked up some stars for cheap (really wanted emitters) and I didn't know how to remove them easily.

kevinm

Enlightened
Hey, wait, I'm being dumb! Why remove the emitter fro a star, make a heatsink, and then reattach when I can just grind the star?

Thanks guys.

Kevin

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Just heat the star with a heat gun or hair dryer until the Cree just pops off. Since the contacts are on the bottom of the Cree you will have to do some masking to keep from shorting out the emitter if when you attach it to your own heat sink.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
kevinm said:
Hey, wait, I'm being dumb! Why remove the emitter fro a star, make a heatsink, and then reattach when I can just grind the star?

Thanks guys.

Kevin
Grinding a star will generate a boatload of heat if done too fast and the emitter may be damaged if it is overheated for a prolonged period of time.

Grind slowly and check for excessive heat often.

TMorita

Enlightened
stoven said:
Just heat the star with a heat gun or hair dryer until the Cree just pops off. Since the contacts are on the bottom of the Cree you will have to do some masking to keep from shorting out the emitter if when you attach it to your own heat sink.

If I'm not mistaken, solder melts around 700 degrees F.

Have you actually tried removing a Cree emitter with a hair dryer?

Toshi

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMorita said:
If I'm not mistaken, solder melts around 700 degrees F.

Toshi

I think you are referring to soldering iron tip temperature and not solder melting point? :confused:

The common 63/37 electronic solder (63% tin, 37% lead) melts at only 361 F/183 C.

Latest posts