not to open a can of worms but...[UV for self defense]

Illum

Flashaholic
MODERATORS, IF YOU FIND THIS THREAD INAPPROPRIATE OR MAY CAUSE ANY UNDESIRED EFFECTS THAT MAY VIOLATE THE FORUM'S CODE OF CONDUCT.... PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD, THANKS

I've heard of members EDCing guns, knives, etc for defense...
of course, theres the flashlights:grin2:

Could a UV flashlight be used for self defense when it is neccessary or are they useless in that manner?
UV, unlike xenon where your opponents eyes is likely to recover, does it after prolonged direct exposure.
The possibility of a situation where such force is necessary is very slim, but it is possible.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd need it super concentrated like a laser to cause damage right away. Otherwise the damage would take much much longer than a traditional light.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reminded of the South Park episode where Cartman tries to kill either Kyle or Stan. When aksed what he was doing he says something to the effect of, 'Hold on I'm killing you. I couldn't afford a real baseball bat, so I have to use this plastic bat. Don't worry, it should be over in a few hours.'

So the warning to the attacker would be something like, 'Stay back our continued and prolonged exposure to this UV light source will cause steady debiliation of your vision starting with low-light vision and eventually causing more serious damage.' That'd stop me in my tracks! :D

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
tebore said:
You'd need it super concentrated like a laser to cause damage right away. Otherwise the damage would take much much longer than a traditional light.
+1 for that. UV causes a sunburn like injury to the eye. The pain is generally not felt at an intollerable level until a few hours later and thats only with a significant exposure, more than 5-10 seconds. I would also think that using a UV light for defense would land you in some sort of legal trouble under an "attampt to maim" statue. Just my 2 cents...:)

Dave

aml

Newly Enlightened
stop or ill give you skin cancer.

ridiculous.;)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
For temporary blindness, any 2 cell-sized incandescent with standard bulb (like SF E2 or SL Strion) will probably do better than any UV flashlight available. Temporary night-blindess is caused by destroying the rhodopsin build-up in the rods in your eyes, and color isn't nearly as relevant as intensity since rods only detect the amount of light in black and white, not colors.

There was an episode of Future Weapons (on Discovery) that featured a green laser (weapon mounted, I think) that had a wide beam divergence (a few inches across in close quarters), big enough to hit somebody in the eyes easily to blind them temporarily (but not concentrated enough to do permanent damage with brief exposure). If all you wanted to do was to temporarily blind somebody, something like that would be a better choice. I tried looking up info on it, but discovery.com didn't have anything, and I have no idea how to search for it since I can't remember the company.

Having a flashlight for self defense isn't just about blinding/disorienting a bad guy, it's just as much about target identification.

Illum

Flashaholic
well I had the thought after my accident

at night when your pupils are enlarged you dont need as much light to blind you....well I woke up around 3AM and headed for the toylet...I picked up a small flashlight...of all the stash thats beside the bed I picked up a UV light: single led, coldsolderjoint mod...well, after a good shine in the mirror I had trouble seeing....not that was temperary and I recovered by morning.

my original thought was based on the inova X5-UV, but nevermind

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Planterz said:
There was an episode of Future Weapons (on Discovery) that featured a green laser (weapon mounted, I think) that had a wide beam divergence (a few inches across in close quarters), big enough to hit somebody in the eyes easily to blind them temporarily (but not concentrated enough to do permanent damage with brief exposure). If all you wanted to do was to temporarily blind somebody, something like that would be a better choice. I tried looking up info on it, but discovery.com didn't have anything, and I have no idea how to search for it since I can't remember the company.

Here you go - laser dazzler weapons

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Short answer would be "no," long answer would be also essentially be a "no" ... just like it is to the question we see seemingly every other week asking if a "tactical" flashlight is a useful primary defense tool.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Make sure you put your victim in one of these first:

clockworkbigwi7.jpg

orionlion82

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
well I had the thought after my accident

at night when your pupils are enlarged you dont need as much light to blind you....well I woke up around 3AM and headed for the toilet...I picked up a small flashlight...of all the stash thats beside the bed I picked up a UV light: single led, coldsolderjoint mod...well, after a good shine in the mirror I had trouble seeing....not that was temperary and I recovered by morning.

my original thought was based on the inova X5-UV, but nevermind

you should get that checked out... (har har har....)

i find that the Blacklight tubes i had in college severly messed with my vision after only a few minuets. could have been... other things though....

mpc

Newly Enlightened
Depends which country you live in. In the UK, carrying a purpose built weapon - or in the case where it is fairly obvious that you are carrying a object in order to use as a weapon would cause serious problems for you in court. For example, carrying a large hunting knife in the high street - or carrying a screwdriver where you cannot show reasonable cause for carrying (say into a nightclub). I suspect that if you carried a non standard weapon (high powered laser) in the US, other than a gun for example it could be argued that you had the intention of causing "cruel and unusual punishment" ie: blinding someone.

billw

Enlightened
I think the "danger" of typical UV LEDs is terribly overrated. I doubt that they'll do significantly more damage to your eyes than any other bright light; the wavelength
just isn't short enough...