changes at work / reporting structure -- advice needed

Somy Nex

Enlightened
So after the 2nd change in management of my section in less than a year, the new boss now wants me to report to her through "Person X".

My problem is that Person X "talks a good walk," with tactics like "And i'm just thinking out loud here" in meetings, but always finds a way to "delegate" and go on "emergency leave" whenever the actual work needs to be done. This person is also an expert at claiming credit for others' ideas, and blaming others when their own ideas go wrong. The trouble is, all the bosses can't seem to see through this, and think this person is the best thing since sliced bread (god knows this person is just about as hard working as a piece of sliced bread).

luckily the new boss has called individual meetings with each of us, and there is still hope that i can avoid this fate. however tact is not my strongest skill. I am painfully blunt and prefer sweat (work) over hot air (talking--what that person does best).

i don't like to say bad things about my colleagues to the boss unless directly asked, and i don't intend to start making this something i do. but at the same time, i don't know what to do in this situation. i know that eventually these people will be found out, but it's easier said when i'm not the one suffering, and i really can't afford to waste away in such a situation. does anyone have any advice for me on how to approach this subject with the boss? :confused: :(

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Wow! Tough situation to be stuck in somy.

I would suggest that you do a background check on X before deciding. X might be what they call "relative" of the boss or someone close.

Just be careful or you could be looking for a new job.

Norm

Retired Administrator
One thing I learnt very quickly at work was to always CC all ideas and memos to my bosses boss to prevent my ideas being claimed by him.
All the best hope it works out.
Norm

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Thanks Kevin & Norm =)

I'm pretty sure that this person is no relative of any of the bosses, as the bosses are all expats and this person is a local. but this person talks very well... "tongue of gold" and they all seem to like this person even though that person is on some sort of leave half the time, and never actually follows through on any work. :(

The suggestion to cc mails to the overall boss to keep them in the loop is a good one and one i will start adopting from now on.

what really rankles me though, is that we are all hired at the same level, and in fact i am probably above this person as i am more senior (by a little bit, in terms of experience but not age) and probably make more than that person. but somehow, because i choose to focus on work and don't like to "talk", i am being overlooked now as management changes. i thought it was supposed to be the other way round! :ohgeez:

anyway i've been trying to think about it, and perhaps one way to go about this is to try and focus on what i want to do and try and emphasize how it is in a different direction/area that she wants me and this person to focus on... failing that though, does anyone know any constructive ways of how to get out of such a situation? =P

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestions pretty much assume that you use email/reports pretty much daily in your job. First, try to get everything in writing from your new boss (of course, being reasonable).

Failing that, write down everything that the (new) boss says/wants, and mail it back to them to in the form of a question "...This is what I proposed, how you responded, and did I get it all right?..."

Generally, at some point, the new boss is going to write/say something that was better not said--and you are going to be covered because you where simply documenting and asking questions/clarifications.

You can also do variants by emailing the upper level boss along the lines "...something came up and we could not find XXX--here is the problem and a suggested solution--is this OK with you--how would you like us to proceed?..."

Note that having a solution for a problem that a manager may not even be aware of yet is a very important point. Anyone can find problems--good folks already have, at least one, solution already to implement.

All of this has to be overlaid with the culture that you live/work with. What works well in the US would go over like a "lead ballon" in many Asian cultures. If you can make the "expats" feel confortable in their dealings with you--and you show good leadership with your local co-workers--you will have won 80% of the battles.

In the end, you may not be able change the short term course of the re-org... But, if you quietly work towards your long term goals--next time you may prevail.

-Bill

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of those manglers, don't sweat about it though if your work is anything like mine in 6 months you will work for someone else.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Thanks for the additional advice and kind words of support =)

Bill, thanks especially for a lot of good advice and actions to take. I'm realizing that i probably can't do much for the short term, and will have to focus on the long term instead.

The individual meeting with the new section head will still go through today, and I will try and clarify my role, and how she sees me fitting into the new section. As this is the first meeting, i think there should be a bit more latitude both to ask wider questions about how i fit in and contribute best to the section, in relation to the others in the section, as well as to express my own long term goals and how i can achieve those.

What do folks think about this? Is it a good course of action? Are there any particular things I should do or should avoid?

Thanks everyone again for the advice, i truly appreciate it as i'm pretty 'green' in these situations :) meeting with the new head is in approx 7 hours and counting... :p