Help me pick a new light for Dad

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Hi fellas,

Dad's currently using a Civictor 1W Led torch. He uses it heaps around the house and backyard for odd things. He's just finding it a little weak in the brightness department. I'd like to get him a new torch with a Cree or SSC for better brightness and/or runtime. However everything on here with a Cree or SSC has way too many modes and levels etc. Just gets him confused.

Any recomendations? Something that takes NIMH AA's is best!

Cheers all!

dirobesh

Enlightened
A steamlight propoly runs on 4 NiMh batts, is very bright and has excellent regulation and just the one brightness level. The only problem is that the beam is too narrow and bright for close up work. It is fine though for shining round the garden and for mid-distance in general.

lukestephens777

Enlightened
I think he'd much prefer something with more flood. I know about the propolymer light, theyre very popular. The other factor is he wants a Cree light! :laughing:

I was telling him about the new Cree led, as i do being addicted to lights for some bizarre reason, and he's set his mind that he must have a Cree LED (i may substitute for an SSC as he'll never know the difference)

So yeah, i think there is a lot of Demand for a Single or maybe Two level about 60-70 lumen long running light in AA or 2AA formfactor. Nice and simple

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
lukestephens777 said:
So yeah, i think there is a lot of Demand for a Single or maybe Two level about 60-70 lumen long running light in AA or 2AA formfactor. Nice and simple
Well, the L2DCE is nice and simple if you don't want to bother with the intermediate modes: single click for on, tighten bezel for turbo, loosen for low. Once your dad gets used to it, he can try soft-pressing for the other modes - but this isn't necessary to just get the basic hi and low (i.e. can be run no more complicated than a LxT or LxS series Fenix light).

It's a good all-around light with decent throw and output.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Ultrafire C2 from Battery Junction for $40.00. It is brighter than my Surefire gpz w/ the p61 lamp. It has a nice tight spot with a VERRY bright flood (reminds me of my old 10 watt hid in the flood area)

Best of all, it is small, light weight, and you can buy tenergy batts from them for less than a $1 each. I know global priority is not that much for shipping now. The light also has a nice single level clicky switch in the back. I will buy one for my 65 year old dad soon.

Bood luck!

Latest posts