Should I keep Surefire L4 or sell?

JasonK

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Hoping someone can help with some plain and simple advice, as i've been reading articles on this forum for a few days now and am more confused than ever.

I've bought a new Surefire L4. Now i'm thinking I have rushed into it.

I thought (based on the price) it would be able to adjust the intensity of the output. Not so. I have seen mention of a way to replace a part, making it low / high, but I couldn't work out the thread references. Also, I am a newbie and not making much sense of abbreviations. eg Joe - forum member?

Additionally, I assumed I could use rechargeable CR123a's. Not so, apparantly. And I still don't understand the difference between protected and unprotected.

I have looked at www.lighthound.com and contacted AW, but get differing answers. So am still puzzled.

I am genuinely concerned that it isn't safe to use rechargeable CR123a's. Can I leave the batteries & charger unsupervised for example?

I would really appreciate some simple, clear advice, aimed at a newbie.

If I can't run the L4 on rechargeables, then it's too expensive for me to keep & use, as I intend using it for at least an hour a day. Also, there is conflicting advice about the led. If it only lasts 500 hours, how easy is it to buy and fit a replacement, else again, this might not be the torch for me.

Please can someone explain, as right now, I am really regretting buying this torch. I thought originally, spend as much as you can afford, as an investment. Now I am seeing quite a few flaws in this logic.

Advice really appreciated.

Thankyou,
Jason

luigi

Enlightened
Rechargeable batteries usually have a higher voltage than the primary normal cells.
A 123 battery is 3.0v but a rechargeable 123 usually goes up to 3.7v
The LED in the L4 can't take the extra voltage and might be damaged if you use 2 rechargeable 123 cells.

BUT you can use a 17670 rechargeable cell. (link: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1685)
What kind of charger do you have? In a DSD charger the 17670 can be charged properly without any problems.

About protected vs unprotected:
Making it short: unprotected cells can be damaged if you let them run out to exhaustion, protected cells can be used until you have no light at all without risks.
My recommendation would be a couple of 17670 batteries and a DSDS charger for the L4.

Luigi

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF.

You cannot run the L4 with two 3.7v RCR123 Li-ion rechargeables (this will overload the internal circuit), but you can run it on a single 3.7v 17650 Li-ion battery (the L4 will boost the voltage internally so that it will run normally). This is a solution that has been used by a lot of CPFers over the years so it is as safe as Li-ion use gets and a perfectly viable option for rechargeables. You should get two or three of these 17650's along with a charger (DSD should work fine) so you can swap them out right away when you need the light.

It has been determined that Li-ions (and even normal lithium primary cells) are potentially dangerous when used in series with other Li-ions, and a problem (read: venting, catastrophic thermal runaway, fire/explosion) can occur when a cell does not have the same amount of charge as its siblings in the series. Using a single protected 17650 Li-ion in the L4 will avoid this problem altogether, so it should be plenty safe. Make sure to inspect your Li-ions for possible denting, punctures or other damage before using or charging, too. Such safety measures will make a dangerous accident with Li-ions highly unlikely.

There used to be a 3rd party replacement tailcap made by McGizmo called the McE2S. He has since discontinued the manufacturing of the tailcap, but it used to fit all E-series Surefires including the L4 (though its primary usage seems to be pretty much for the L4). It gave users a way to convert their L4 into a two-stage light, at the expense of having an (ever so slightly) "harder" to use twisty tailcap (as opposed to the clicky tailcap that is now included with the L4). You can sometimes find one on sale here on the forums, but it is increasingly difficult to find.

Edit: Sorry, I mixed up the numbers of the Li-ion cells for use in the L4. Luigi is right-- check out this thread for more info about rechargeables in the L4: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146375

Last edited:

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
JasonK said:
I thought (based on the price) it would be able to adjust the intensity of the output. Not so.
The L2 is very similar to the L4, but it has 2 levels of output. That would have been a better choice.

Can I leave the batteries & charger unsupervised for example?
Yes, if you get a "smart" charger that detects when the batteries are fully charged and stops charging.

carrot

Flashaholic
The L2 is longer, though, and has poor runtime on high in comparison to the L4. Its high mode doesn't put out *that* much more than the L4, making it not worth it if you think you'll need a lot of light for most of the time.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe he wanted a Fenix L2D-CE? It's cheaper than the Surefire L4, it's very bright, it offers multiple output levels, and it runs on AA rechargeable NiMH cells.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the L5 (same LED like the L4), and it's already last more than 2000 hours on it.
JasonK said:
Also, there is conflicting advice about the led. If it only lasts 500 hours, Jason

VWTim

Enlightened
I just recently purchased an L4 and love it. I have mine setup with a McE2S 2 stage tail switch and a 17670 Li Ion rechargable cell as mentioned above. One thing to keep in mind is some the latest runs of L4's are too tight to fit a 17670 cell, so I'm using my E2E body. Although older lights aren't an issue. Perhaps there's someone on here local to you with a 17670 cell you can try for fittament?

The McE2S switches are currently available.
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=398
hth,

Dustin Liu

Banned
VWTim said:
I just recently purchased an L4 and love it. I have mine setup with a McE2S 2 stage tail switch and a 17670 Li Ion rechargable cell as mentioned above. One thing to keep in mind is some the latest runs of L4's are too tight to fit a 17670 cell, so I'm using my E2E body. Although older lights aren't an issue. Perhaps there's someone on here local to you with a 17670 cell you can try for fittament?

The McE2S switches are currently available.
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=398
hth,

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have a l4, but based on all the raves it has gotten on cpf, I would think hard before I sold it if you like the beam. It will have a better flood than any cree light I know of and should be very reliable. I believe you would find it hard to match all of its charecteristics with any other light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford to keep the L4 you would find that it is versatile, plenty of usable flood. You could always purchase something else later,

turbodog

Flashaholic
It should be noted that the L2 does NOT accept the 17670 cells. The inner diameter is too tight.

Also, I have killed the led in my L4. Surefire replaced the head assembly, no questions asked. I split it in half from some EXTREME high heat.

It's one of the best general purpose lights. I'd buy one tomorrow if mine failed tonight.

kubolaw

Enlightened
I still haven't found anything to replace my L4. For me it is the best balance of size and overall useful output. Tried most of the Fenix line, the L2, U2, Inovas, and I always end up reverting back to the nice punchy flood of my L4 (well, actually the L4 head running on a single cell body).

With respect to the rechargeables, every system is going to present some risks. Then again, even storing primaries has risks. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to quantify those risks, except through anecdotal experiences. However, many people (including myself) have used 17670s with the L4 without any issue. But the final decision has to be yours alone. Spend some time reading relevant topics here and you should be able to arrive at a decision with which you are comfortable.

Good luck!

Russianesq

Enlightened
Is there any other major difference between the L2 vs L4?
It seems that the new crop of EDC flashlights has at least 2 levels.
Do owners of L4 who used them for a while feel that they need a 2nd level.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A second level does come in handy. I've got a 1 cell "L4" (KL4 + E1L Body) with a McE2S two stage switch, and the two stage switch is nice, but, I've also got a complete L4, and it's the single stage L4 that I use most. There's no way I'm sellin' my L4, it's an awesome light and I know there are many, many people that will agree that it is still a keeper (and for many, will never be out-dated). I don't see it ever becoming a dinosaur. I run mine off of a single Pila 168s, which is the equivalent of a 17670. I've actually seen somebody post that their brand new L4 wouldn't fit a 17670, which sounds strange, but if it is the same case with yours, you'll need the 14670. If the 17670 does fit, by all means, go with it, as it will have a greater capacity and thus, more run time.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Russianesq said:
Is there any other major difference between the L2 vs L4?
...Do owners of L4 who used them for a while feel that they need a 2nd level.
The L2 does not run as long on high as the L4 runs -- that's a major difference. For me, the L4 is too bright for close work, so, if I didn't have other, not-as-bright, lights (such as my E1L), I would rather have an L2.

VWTim

Enlightened
I don't want to sounds like a broken record. But a McE2S on an L4, gives you a L2 type light that's smaller and until the most recent run can use a 17670 cell.