Going to Thailand, advice?

ianb

Enlightened
I'm off to Thailand in a couple of weeks and have to get:-

-Mosquito nets for sleeping

-Insect/Mosquitoe repellent

-Malaria tablets(these should be sorted, but what are your experiences taking them?)

anybody have any recommendations, particularly nets as I don't know how to choose them and what size to get?

Your help and advice would be appreciated,

thanks, Ian :)

JanCPF

Enlightened
ianb,
I assume you are going to rural parts of north Thailand right? Because if you are going to stay in south Thailand, malaria tablets are not needed IMO.

Jan

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
yes JanCPF, about a week up in the north up around Chiang Mai to start, then down to the south later.

Ian :)

JanCPF

Enlightened
Sounds like a good plan Ian :)

Malarone has the weakest side effects (AFAIK) but are also the most expensive. Another good thing about Malarone is (as I understand it), that you can start malaria treatment yourself (by increasing the dosage) if you should be so unfortunate to get infected and can't get to a doctor.

I haven't tried any malaria prophylaxis myself.

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
I think my prescription I have is for Malarone and yes they are expensive :ohgeez: , here I've found them ~£2.50 per tablet! With my family needing (3 x (2+8+7))=51 x 2.5 so ~ £127.50/$240! :huh:

...still what price for your health? :D

Have you used mosquito nets Jan? any recommendations?

B@rt

Flashaholic
There are only very few regions near Chiang Mai where you are at risk, you can even go to Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle on a tour.

I would advise against malaria pills unless you are sure you are going to stay in such an area, there can be side effects.

Regardless of malaria, stocking up on Deet is advisable, the local insects seem to like western cuisine... :ohgeez: :rant:

cy

Flashaholic
take along tetracycline for anti malaria meds

look on CDC website for more info...

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Mosquito nets:

The mesh size should be large enough for air circulation but as small as possible to keep out the mosquitoes. A mesh size of 1.2 mm x 1.2 mm is the most common and recommended. For effective malaria protection, the mesh size that is recommended is 120-200 holes per square per inch.

Mosquito nets of polyester or polyamide are usually lightweight, long-lasting nets, and are available in different mesh sizes and thread thickness. On the other hand, cotton is susceptible to dampness, and weighs more when wet.

As for the shape of the net, it should obviously be wide enough to cover the person sleeping, without touching them. Rectangular nets offer more room around the person as opposed to the slanted sides of a tent or pyramid shaped net. Either way, the net should be tucked under the mattress. You can use screws, tacks, pins, or hooks to attach the upper point of the net above the bed. Pillows or blankets can be used to build a makeshift wall around the body to avoid touching the net. It is much more efficient to purchase a net that has already been dipped or sprayed with a high quality insecticide such as permethrin. The nets are pre-treated at the netting manufacturing plant and can last up to a year depending on the amount of exposure to sun and rain.

ianb

Enlightened
Bart, yes thats the advice I got from who I'm going to stay/travel with, that they ae not as effective as good DEET repellant.

Cy is that the 'centre for disease control'? I'll have a search...

ianb

Enlightened
Thanks nobody, thats excellent :thumbsup:

I was looking at some nets all treated with EX8 permethrin, they all seem to say 196 holes/sq"

I didn't know you shouldn't touch them, of course I guess you could be bitten through them?

nobody

Newly Enlightened
ianb,

Do you have any accomodations in the Chiang Mai area set up yet? A good friend and his wife run a bed and breakfast in Soppong in Mae Hong Son province. If you'd like, I could PM you some contact info...:)

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
Nobody, I am staying with a friend so have no idea where we're going :D, I am flying into Bankok then flying straight up to Chiang Mai, from there? Never-the-less that would be great I'd appreciate if you'd PM me, just in case,

ianb

Enlightened
oooh, I just has 888 post! of course this one ruins the symetry :ohgeez:

CY thanks for the links :thumbsup:

ianb

Enlightened
...oh yes...

...also, drinking water, would you take a filter or will bottled be readily available?

Ian

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
My grandparents were from Chiang Mai, :laughing: ...nice place. I didn't seem to worry too much about malaria, just needed the shot beforehand and a couple other vaccinations. Hope you have a good trip!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
STAY AWAY FROM THE LADY BOYS!!!!!!!!

!!!SURPISE!!!

They have man parts......IF you know what I mean.

ianb

Enlightened
B@rt said:
Do yourself a favour and get a Lonely Planet. ;)
...actually its on order at my local book shop, I'll shut up when I get it :D

Thanks Dark Messenger, I'm really looking forward to seeing it all. I've had a few shots already so am sorted on that front(Tetanus/Diptheria/Thyhoid/Polio etc etc :D)

seem to have itchy keyboard fingers tonight, too quick to fire off the replies , sorry :whistle:

Lonely planet, rather good Travel Guides...
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

also like Rough Guides myself...
http://www.roughguides.com/

**Nobody, thanks for the PM :thumbsup:**

Last edited: