Aviator series lights that should have been.....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
As is well known, i *love* my A2 Aviator (white LED), it's my main EDC, it's an extremely versatile, well made light, quite possibly the *best* general use light on the market

that said, it'd be nice if there were more models in the Aviator series.....

the A3 Aviator, a 3 cell version, optomized for sheer incan power, with regulated 5MM LED's *AND* Incan, more powerful incan beam than the A2, maybe around 120-150 lumens

the A1 Aviator, a one cell light, optomized for runtime, reduce the lumen rating on the LED ring (unregulated) to 1 lumen, and have the regulated incan beam put out around 25-35 lumens

keep the floody LED / throwy incan setup unchanged

this way, you'd have a compact, long runtime A1, a nice balanced general use A2, and a power-optomized A3

hey, a guy can dream, can't he? ;)

cslinger

Enlightened
Personally I would really like to see a Kroma light so to speak. One set of LEDs on the outside in a color (Red/Blue/Green/White whatever) and a next gen LED as the main bulb, same switching mechanism as the A2, same size etc. I wouldn't want this to replace the A2 but would make a nice all LED option of it. The A2L and A1L would be fabulous. Basically an E1L with a Cree and three 3-5mm LEDs similar to the Streamlight TL1 and a two cell version.

Figure the 1 cell version should have a runtime on high of about 1.5 hours at 65ish lumens and 10-15 hours on the small flood LEDs running at about 1-3 lumens.

Larger version should run at about 80ish lumen for about 1-1.5 hours for the main bulb and 20-30 hours at 1-3 lumen soft flood of the smaller LEDs. Same spectacular switching.

Cost should be around $140ish for the small one, $160ish for the large one.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the point, some of the other manufacturers will just put some LEDs in their reflectors, and not use regulation circuit, and try to under cut Surefire's price for a properly engineered unit. Meanwhile 400 threads will be started on SF A3T Vs ______, a bitter war will ensue and people will be called stupid for paying for the price of a technological marvel.

We already have enough Spec-Commandoes roaming CPF, they will descend on the price of the proposed product armed with dollar-per-lumen ratio, why they think incans suck, what you can get for x dollars, etc. judging from the skepticism that A2 faces on CPF, I would stay away from such a product if I were the R&D guy for SF. Looks like that's precisely what they did.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
carrot said:
And how about an A3T?
There's a pic of a turbo A2 somewhere in PK's webpage. I posted it here a while back, but I forget which thread it was. I'll have to look for it...

HA! It only took me a month to find it last time, but here it is. That post has a link to the pic I'm talking about, and if you read the posts following that, you'll learn more about the A2 protos.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
benchmade_boy said:
you know there is the A2T:naughty:, that is if you can find one:nana:
I do know it exists in prototype form. But I don't see the point of a turbohead on a 2-cell light. If I'm gonna have the bulk of a turbohead, I might as well add another cell for more output.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I though the aviator was a specific light, crafted for aviator tasks, which leads me to believe there will not be a series under that name.

I like the ideas though!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
There's a pic of a turbo A2 somewhere in PK's webpage. I posted it here a while back, but I forget which thread it was. I'll have to look for it...

HA! It only took me a month to find it last time, but here it is. That post has a link to the pic I'm talking about, and if you read the posts following that, you'll learn more about the A2 protos.

WOW I NEED THAT!:drool: I wish PK can give me one...

Illum

Flashaholic
benchmade_boy said:
you know there is the A2T:naughty:, that is if you can find one:nana:

carrot said:
I do know it exists in prototype form. But I don't see the point of a turbohead on a 2-cell light. If I'm gonna have the bulk of a turbohead, I might as well add another cell for more output.

he was referring to the A2-PP-_ _ ;)