How to find out if you're owed money by the government?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, you've seen the ads, supposedly thousands to tens of thousands of people here in Massachusetts alone, are owed money from the government and don't even know it, from things like overpayment of taxes, interest, etc. Here in Mass, there was an ad in the radio that gave the web site to where you could check to see if you were one of the people but I can't remember it. Something like checkmassmoney.com or something like this. Do any Mass residents know what that web site is, or websites where you can find out? I did a google search and got one hit where I input my name and it said I may be owed $700 and change but I would have to pay this site to find out.

Anybody ever find out they were owed money by their state or federal government and collected?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, actually I did get a $150 or so back (were rebate checks from Ford and another place that got lost--at our home) from the State of California where all unclaimed funds are supposed to go (for Californians).

California State Controller Unclaimed Property Search:

Was not hard--printed out the results and filled out the paperwork and got a check a month later. Mine was easy since the names and address were all still current.

No charges and you can check for any of your family and friends too (just need a name and city to get a listing--click on each link to see the details).

If you look around, you should find something similar for most states.

-Bill