Dream Light

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
Looks nice, but tough to determine the details. Head looks a bit bigger than I usually like, but probably makes for a nice pattern.

Sean

PoliceScannerMan said:
A real dreamlight, pic courtesy of WAVE_PARTICLE. :D

s27pdkd1.jpg

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinitely small, infinitely bright, infinitely long running and infinitely variable output in both color and brightness.

What more do you need?

U2Lover

Newly Enlightened
A light that can be implanted into my eyeballs, with the brightness of the Big Bang. hehee :D :D

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
I started thinking how cool it would be to have a EDC light that looked as good as it performed. Something really high end looking, kind of like the Mont Blanc or Rolex of EDC lights. I thought "man I would really like a light with burlwood accents". Those thoughts got me thinking about what such a light would look like, so I decided to mock one up to get an idea. Thus the DNx was born, (DNx = Does Not eXist). Once I had the design finished, I realized that I had a light that I would really like to own.

ndxartlight.jpg

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those tritiums need to be spaced further apart...and there should be three of 'em at least (ok, I know it's not my dream light, but I had to point this out).
smile.gif

CFU

Gryloc

Enlightened
I currently have two dream lights with me, but one isn't entirely mine and the other I do not have the money to make it my true dream light. The first is actually two Luxeon K2 headlight clusters, composed of 18 emitters each; using the Fraen narrow optics. These are hella bright (they bring a tear to your eye), but they are paid for by a friend to use in his truck when I am completely finished with them. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem recently and I did not prepare the thermal epoxy right and I have to replace some of the emitters (aye-carumba!). When I am not busy with class work (and now finals and final projects this time of the year), I would love to finish them so they can be mounted and done with. I love them and hate them at the same time! I want them done and gone, but I wouldnt mind owning them, either.

Anyway, my second light is my big old 2D Maglite that uses the older PQS heatsink for quad emitters. Right now, I have four old but nicely binned TWOH emitters in there and I am using the IMS SO20XA reflectors. Someday, when I have the money, I would love to buy 4 U-binned Seoul Semiconductor P4s with SWO color and low Vf to go in there as replacements. I can mod the IMS reflectors to focus then. It would be freak'in awesome (to me atleast). To top this all off for this light, I have the Fatman set to dim with a potentiometer wired up. The thing is, I invented a way to hook this pot to the head of the Maglite so when you twist the head while it is on, it will effectively change the output current to the emitters from like 50mA to 1000mA. It will do this in a 315 degree turn (the same as the pot that I used). It has waterproof dimming, without the pre-set, step-like digital levels that most light have these days. Why mess with modes and menus when you could just "dial down" the brightness?

It just tickles me that I can have ~800lm in my hand; fully dimmable! Efficiency is awesome, too. Imagine 350lm at only 4.7W (350mA an emitter), and a usable 100lm at only 1W (80mA an emitter). I understand that there are significant losses, but can a man wish? The only thing holding me back is time and money. The cost of the SSC P4 is still pretty high for my tastes, and I am still unsure of color binning with some online stores, as the seller never seems to post this information. I have a dirt-cheap Tri-LuxI 2D Mag that my parents use that I would also like to "upgrade" cheaply, but I would have to beg them for money to do that for their light.

Sigh... I cannot wait untill the next release of some LED that is just a little more brighter so the XR-Es and SSC P4s have the same costs as the Lumileds K2 and other Luxeons. Again, I am dreaming! :grin2:

-Tony

DM51

Flashaholic
I don't want to be too rude about this, but it looks rather like a table leg. Or maybe one of those pedestal-type ashtrays they had in public areas when people were allowed to smoke.
racerx2oo3 said:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop dreaming about my light, but my light is a 2C M@G Tri Cree xre, Q3 reflector, Fatman, twist the Maghead to control the brightness.

Gryloc said:
To top this all off for this light, I have the Fatman set to dim with a potentiometer wired up. The thing is, I invented a way to hook this pot to the head of the Maglite so when you twist the head while it is on, it will effectively change the output current to the emitters from like 50mA to 1000mA. It will do this in a 315 degree turn (the same as the pot that I used). It has waterproof dimming, without the pre-set, step-like digital levels that most light have these days. Why mess with modes and menus when you could just "dial down" the brightness?

iceman

Newly Enlightened
DM51 said:
I don't want to be too rude about this, but it looks rather like a table leg. Or maybe one of those pedestal-type ashtrays they had in public areas when people were allowed to smoke.

:awman::lolsign:

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
A real dreamlight, pic courtesy of WAVE_PARTICLE. :D

s27pdkd1.jpg

OK, what is this light and really, how cool is it? I like the look of it, but does it use the new CREE LEDs and have good throw? Is it just a mockup?

Looks good, what ever it is.

Thanks,

Rob