I'm so torn! (a rant)

Verve

Newly Enlightened
Newb here... First, let me say you all are awesome about providing helpful info and it is much appreciated. CFP is a first class community!
buttrock.gif

On to my rant...I'm so confused as to which light to purchase next. I feel like things are moving so fast anything I get will be outdated in two months time.

Specifically looking to permanently (ha, yeah right) replace my LOP-SE that currently resides on my keychain.

Do I go for the LF2, LOD-CE, or is the ORB RAW small enough for the keychain (so hard to tell from pictures available)? Or are there other options anyone would recommend looking into? (Basically looking for the absolute smallest & brightest light under $70ish.)

Secondly, as much as I try to keep up to date I'm still confused on which is brighter - the CREE or Seoul?

Thanks!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are afraid that anything you buy will be outdated in a couple of months, WHY BUY ANYTHING right now? Wait a bit and see what all shakes out of it all. The L0P is a good light it will do fine until things settle a bit. Why be impatient and regret it later?

Patience is a virtue.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
Orb Raw is a most fantastic light, EXCEPT for the super short runtime.

Verve

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
If you are afraid that anything you buy will be outdated in a couple of months, WHY BUY ANYTHING right now? Wait a bit and see what all shakes out of it all. The L0P is a good light it will do fine until things settle a bit. Why be impatient and regret it later?

Patience is a virtue.

This is very sound advice, I just have so little patience. :grin2: And truth be told, I'm actually willing to replace it down the road a ways. It's just one of those stupid things where if I know I could have a much brighter light now, it's hard to resist. And I have been waiting (fairly) patiently and checking out all the options since the CREES came out...I'm just ready to pull the trigger on something!

Thanks for the advice, Lee!

Verve

Newly Enlightened
thehappyman said:

Happyman, do you think it would make a good keychain light, as far as size goes? Thanks!

chocho

Newly Enlightened
thehappyman said:

Except if you ask Rob to set one up with the "not-so-low" low power.
(different resistor)

On the new RAW-XRE (cree powered) that's 60 lumens out the front end for about an hour and a half. You still have the 120 lumen high power for show if desired. Personally, I never use the high power.

Added bonus: if you lube with Nyogel, you can easily get lower levels of power (for extended runtime) by fiddling with it at the point where it just turns on. Nyogel is non-conductive, so it basically acts like a variable resistor just when the RAW engages.

-C

mayo

Newly Enlightened
I love my LOD-CE. Don't think I could get used to anything bigger. I really like my Jetbeam CLE, but for me its too big for EDC. The difference between my LOP-SE and the LOD-CE is like daylight and dark.

ScooterBug

Enlightened
i would not replace your LOP. i still carry my old LOD. i have newer lights some with the CREE LED. I will say that 99% of my lights are NOT needed. i buy them cause i WANT them. i play with them like a little kid. i will continue to buy new lights as i can afford them. i suggest you do the same. :)

U2Lover

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, only the orb raw is small enough to classify as a "keychain light", ALL the fenixs are wayyyyy too big - you will end up regretting the heavy weight dragging on the pocket. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I sorta disagree with U2Lover that "all the Fenixs are too big" The L0D is a Fenix and I don't think anyone would agree that it's big.

IMO, the Orb is almost too nice for the keychain. I have and Orb Ns XR-E and the thought of putting that little jewel on a keychain to get mangled makes me cringe. I have an old L0D 3W on my keychain and I keep and L0D-CE in my front pocket.

As far as size goes, the RAW isn't too big for a keychain if you don't mind it getting chewed to hell after a week in service.

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOP SE is still a very valid, very useful light. You should work on updating your family and friends lights with the newest and greatest lights and not worry so much about staying on the cutting edge with what you posess, just with what you know. You could always update the emitter with a soeul on your LOPSE, or run 14400 lithium Ions through it for increased brightness.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
... You should work on updating your family and friends lights with the newest and greatest lights and not worry so much about staying on the cutting edge with what you posess, just with what you know...

Very Well Said !

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I find myself in the same boat as you, Verve. Felt that I wanted to wait for a L0Dce in natural finish. Then decided to wait for actual owners reports on the LF2, too. But, it's getting tough to wait much longer. Hardly ever use the L0Pse on highest level anyway, but I still want more. Sad.

Geoff

Supernam

Enlightened
The Orb Raw is so damn sexy! It's also very expensive. One of those lights that you save for.

I recommend a Fenix. It's not a keychain light obviously, but at the same time, it's very reasonably price. In fact, it's quite inexpensive at $55 for what you get. Another thing is that, you KNOW what you get in terms of craftsmanship, quality, and customer support (fenixstore).

Verve

Newly Enlightened
carbine15 said:
LOP SE is still a very valid, very useful light. You should work on updating your family and friends lights with the newest and greatest lights and not worry so much about staying on the cutting edge with what you posess, just with what you know. You could always update the emitter with a soeul on your LOPSE, or run 14400 lithium Ions through it for increased brightness.

I agree the LOP SE really is still a great light, and I definitely still use it & love it. Got my Dad a P1D-CE, brothers/grandfather LOP-SEs, and the girlfriend one of those Garrity keychain lights (which I think are great, plus b/c she's not going to carry anything bigger) so I'm pretty much covered on that front.

I'll have to pick up some 14400s in the meantime - thanks for the tip!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Verve said:
I'll have to pick up some 14400s in the meantime - thanks for the tip!

Do that and they won't fit. You need a 10440 ( AAA size ) for a L0P.

Lighthound.com does them along with a really nice little Nano AAA charger for these 3.7v cells.

Verve

Newly Enlightened
Jay R said:
Do that and they won't fit. You need a 10440 ( AAA size ) for a L0P.

Lighthound.com does them along with a really nice little Nano AAA charger for these 3.7v cells.

Gotcha, thanks. I know this is strongly advised against for the LOD-CE, but it is ok with the LOP? How long is it safe to run on high?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Verve said:
Gotcha, thanks. I know this is strongly advised against for the LOD-CE, but it is ok with the LOP? How long is it safe to run on high?

I have run a 10440 from full to flat on my L0P SE, L0Ti, L0D and L0D-CE with no problems. Also on My L0P for about 10 mins ( Got a bit warm so I turned it off )

From my experience and others here, the runtime on high is about 20-30 mins.