SSC PR base drop in?

big beam

Enlightened
Has anyone come out with one of these.With less heat it should be a natural.

DON

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a PR base what goes in a mini Mag, or is it what goes in the bigger Mag? I was just going to ask about newfangled-LED drop-ins for the MiniMag.

cutlerylover

Banned
What does SSC mean? I just bought this PR base adapter to use bi-pin bulbs in my bigger mags...but I have not gotten it yet, I am pretty sure if I keep the hotwire mags (ROP, and Mag85) on too long even a few minutes the plastic piece within the base will melt...but Im sure it would be just fine with lower voltage bulbs? I am sure I will post my results here on CPF when I get around to doing some tests...

https://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1408

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC = Seoul Semiconductor (P4 U bin :) )

Doubtful these will be any good if someone were to make them due to heatsinking issues though.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhantomPhoton said:
SSC = Seoul Semiconductor (P4 U bin :) )

Doubtful these will be any good if someone were to make them due to heatsinking issues though.

But... but... The SSCs and Crees seem to put out less heat than Luxes. MUCH less than the K2s. And if a manufacturer would drop the current down to a reasonable level to get usable brightness and great runtime, then that will help with the heat issue even more.

Personally, I think a Mag 2C with an SSC or Cree emitter putting out about 20 lumens would be pretty darned handy. A bit brighter than the SMJLED PR, but with less heat and more neutral color.

Bearcat

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
But... but... The SSCs and Crees seem to put out less heat than Luxes. MUCH less than the K2s. And if a manufacturer would drop the current down to a reasonable level to get usable brightness and great runtime, then that will help with the heat issue even more.

Personally, I think a Mag 2C with an SSC or Cree emitter putting out about 20 lumens would be pretty darned handy. A bit brighter than the SMJLED PR, but with less heat and more neutral color.

I have a bunch of old 2 cell flashlights that could use something like that. The run-time would be fantastic!! I am ready to push the "pay now" button on PayPal.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inherently the difference in heat isn't going to be much at the same power -- the Seouls convert about ~75-80% of the electricity to heat, as opposed to 85-90% like in the older LEDs. On the other hand, with incandescent almost all of the energy is radiated, but only a small portion of it is visible.

The way that the Seoul woudl be able to produce less heat though woudl be if it were driven at ~40% capacity -- there it can produce as much light as the older Luxeon drop-in modules do at full power, yet produce less than half the total amount of heat.

The way that the Mag LED bubls work now is that there is a feedback circuit that reduces the current to the LED as the tempreature increases -- this causes a dramatic decrease in brightness unless the LED is only used for short duty-cycle bursts. Simply replacing the LED on one of these moduels, which already has the thermal protection, gives the same brightness in the "dimmest" mode, as the old bulb does right out of the box.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ya, 2X. Most of my cheesy modding is of the QIII because they are so quick and easy to mod, they are cheap plus it's a carryable form factor. If you put a K2 in a QIII and run it direct on an R123, it gets pretty darn warm. With an SSC, it just doesn't get near that hot. I haven't done current measurements, but still, within reason, the Crees will essentially run cooler at a given lumen setting because it is more effecient. Unfortunately, with most companies going with the bigger/better/faster/brighter mentality, most products are likely to be brighter than the Lux III/K2 product they replace than putting out a reasonable amount of light at a lower current level for longer runtime and less heat.

Burgess

Flashaholic
MattK of Battery Junction mentioned that TerraLux
will soon have one . . . .

see post #82 in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154679

Like you, i would really love to see a LOW-POWER version,
which would provide about 20 Lumens with a LONG-RUNTIME.

This would be JUST what you are describing, cratz2.

I myself would quickly purchase a bunch of 'em,
before they're all sold out (like the original SMJLED-PR2's).

Just hafta' wait and see . . . .

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pumaman put an SSC on a Diamond 3W for me and it is very bright, though I have not run it for an extended time to see if it drops off. The Diamond has an extra Aluminum jacket for a small heat sink instead of the cheezy Mag screw sleeve, so it should handle more heat then the Mag ones.

One possible strategy to run a low power LED in a Mag is to buy a Mag 4 or 6 cell PR drop-in and put it in a 2 or 3 cell light. It should run much lower voltage than intended and be very dim. Mod it with an SSC and it will be brighter, but still way under-driven. Just a thought.

big beam

Enlightened
I have a small I think E gear light that I just put a P4 in.It runs at .380A.This is a very useable amont of light and I can run it foever.The heatsink or the led doesn't even get warm.That's why I asked about the drop in.

BTW it's been runing for 5.25 hrs and still looks as bright as when I started.
It uses 4AA's
DON

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TerraLUX PR drop ins for 3-6 cell lights have begun shipping. Burgess posted the link above to the annoucnement thread. We overnighted some in and filled our first 50 orders today. We have hundreds more coming in next week and will ship all remaining backorders then. They are regulated and heat with the SSC doesn't seem to be any issues as they're running them at a reasonable current level (3.3V 360ma at the emitter with 3 D cells and 3.5V 620ma at the emitter with 4 D cells; as measured)

A boost version that will work in 2-3 cell lights will be available 4-6 weeks. Some folks are going to use the 3-6 cell version now with AA>D converters and various lithium solutions.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
have they told you anything about the 2-3 like spec wise and module type...im worried they will just use that new tle1f and switch emitters...hoping they use the "can" module like the maxstar or maybe do both can & pr and have a new reg/boost that will have current higher and reasonable like the maxstar rather than the tle-1f which puts out 50 lumens meaning its probably drawing very low current

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's going to use the same 'can' as the MiniStar3 and 5 - not the one used for the TLE-1F and 1S. The TLE-6EX has a silver can, the 'red' can in my pic of from the TLE-6K2 based protoype. The 2-3 cell version will have the same can but I think the anodizing finish color is gold for the 2-3 cell version.

The TLE-1F is only a 1W so 50 lumens is likely 350mah. I don't have a final current spec for the TLE-6EXB (which is the future 2 cell SSC P4 drop in we're discussing).

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
goody..and 1w i thought they used a k2 my bad

Skibane

Enlightened
Burgess said:
Like you, i would really love to see a LOW-POWER version,
which would provide about 20 Lumens with a LONG-RUNTIME.

Or (dare I dream!), a version that offers high AND low brightness settings! :D

It could be implemented like Fenix does with the LxD-CE: A momentary interruption of power toggles between the two brightness settings.