How does Deal Extreme work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willrx

Enlightened
I placed an order with Deal Extreme on 3/6/07. As of today, the tracking info says "Collecting from suppliers step 1/4". Does this mean they have no products and have to call the order in to someone? Just wanting to know FYI.
Thanks.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX use J.I.T.

http://www.dealextreme.com/help/

Step 1 (1-3 days): Products are collected from our suppliers.

Step 2 (<1 day): Order waits to get packaged.

Step 3 (1 day): Order is packaged.

Step 4 (10-13 days): Order is enroute via Hong Kong Post.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an open order with DX for about a month now and one of my products still shows "ordering" for status. Another one shipped out, but I never got it, so I think they're shipping me a replacement. I received all my other things (I ordered a lot at once) already tho. The sucky part is the thing that still shows "ordering" is a light that I already ordered a charger and battery specifically for, so if that doesn't ever come in, I have a charger and battery that's for nothing else.

cutlerylover

Banned
I have not order from dealxtreme yet but when they were fifthunit the operated the same...the prices were GREAT but from the time you order and pay it take sabout a month for you to get your stuff...yeah it stinks especially if your impatient, but its definatly worth the wait in my opinion...from what I udnerstand they places your order with other companies that get your stuff together and ship to them, then they ship it to you...or somethgin like that, all I know is that dealxtreme does not have a warehouse with inventory to send you, thats why it takes so long because the items bounce around from place to place before they are on their way to your home...

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
All my orders take about 3 weeks to arrive (west coast) from the time ordered. I have never had a problem with items not arriving, it just takes some time.

I usually try to order and then forget about once it shows it shipped so when it does arrive, it will be a nice surprise.

Eric_M

Enlightened
About 2 + weeks for my order to arrive. Have not had a problem.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a payment on 2/22 for a 3 items, 2 of them being "shipped after Chinese New Years" (3/25). They shipped on 2/28, the confimation # they give you on the DE site takes you to the Hong Kong postal page and it showed my package left HK on 3/2.
It arrived at my post office on the morning of 3/2.
So from day of payment to day of arrival to east coast was 2 weeks. I can totally deal with that, considering how cheap everything was, and most my items had free shipping.
Now, one item is defective, and I'm sending it back to their US addy today, to get it replaced (they'll reimburse you for return shipping charges). We'll see how long it takes for all that to happen.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
8 days usually to UK, only occasionally 14 days, never longer.

Perhaps the delays US are Customs, as mentioned before.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yeah, step 1 is the most variable step. They need to collect items from their suppliers (Justin Thyme - aka just-in-time, J.I.T.). If their suppliers have them in stock, this may just take a day or two. If not, it could potentially be days or even weeks (unusual, but has happened to me a couple of times). Steps 2 & 3 are pretty fast, usually just a day or so. Step 4 usually takes 2-3 weeks to Canada.

The real problem comes from not knowing how long step 1 will take. Once you are on to step 2, you can then fairly accurately estimate arrival.

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
Justin Thyme, their supplier.
LOL. J.I.T. Is a business term. Just in time inventory is used by many businesses to control storage expenses.

Inventory is ordered as needed.

willrx

Enlightened
Thanks to all who responded. Very complete rundown as usual. If I get really impatient and want to cancel the order, what step is that and how are you refunded?-I paid thru paypal.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be patient...These guys go the extra mile to get us great discounts-good lights - and even some great lights . Hong Kong is a bit far away...you won't get cheated...hang in there! Lots of CPF members have bought from them.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you see all the MP3 players DE and Kaidoman have now? Pretty sweet, a SD card reader/mp3 player for $8.00.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
2-3 weeks has been typical with my orders from them, depending on how long it takes for things to be in stock. Usually if one item is holding up an entire order, they will split it and ship it separately so as not to delay the rest of the items. Other than that, I believe the Hong Kong Parcel post is slow -- about 9-10 business days is what I've usually seen once my order is shipped -- if DX gets it in the mail almost immediately, that translates to a two week total shipping time.

Status
Not open for further replies.