Cree/Seoul drop-ins for MiniMag

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search, but search isn't my friend, too much info to be able to figure this out. I managed to find SF drop-ins but not MiniMag. What are my best options for high-power drop-ins for my Mini-Mags? Frankly, I shouldn't even limit it to just Cree and Seoul, if Lux III is all that's out there I'd consider that too. I'm looking for at least decent throw (I can't use a flood), and I need at least an hour of runtime (probably try to find a two-stage switch at some point). I have a specific use in mind for these.

Thanks!

racer7

Newly Enlightened
battery junction or terralux for reasonably modern but not Cree or SSC, yet

cutlerylover

Banned
I agree with racer7...there are a few different terralux drop ins that are 25 lumens and a bit more...but no cree yet...there is a hotwire setup that out outs 85 lumens I believe, but its more expensive to buy the parts, plus its not an LED upgrade but rather a more powerfull incandescent upgrade...Here is a link anyway in case you are interested...that kit is just the ceramic bulb holder the reflector and the glass lens though...the rechargeable 14500 batteries, charger, charghing spacers, and bulb are sold seperate, so like I said it can be expensive, but thats the most powerfull minimag upgrade that I know of...Kind of like the mini mag85 only with a minimag...and of course not as much light...

https://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2011

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input so far.

Let me tell you my use here. Next month I'm taking the family to Hawaii, where we'll be doing some "caving" in the lava tubes. Last time I did that, I discovered that the black porous rock "eats light" so much that even my 6P shone right in front of me didn't seem that bright! Also, flood just doesn't work, it gets eaten. You need lots of lumens (I'd want 50 mininimum) and high enough candlepower in the hot spot. I was hoping I could outfit my kids "on the cheap" with two <$40 high-lumen drop-ins for MiniMags, rather than having to pick up a couple of more-expensive entire lights.

Doesn't look like I'll have this option, although still interested in seeing a canonical list of drop-ins.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
For just a bit more money, you could get one or two Fenix L2D CE lights. Pretty darned bright on high or max and outstanding runtime with good brightness on medium and low. I think with the CPF discout, they are about $55 or a bit less.

I'd like to think Terra or one of the other Minimag drop in manufacturers will have a cree or SSC based unit out shortly. But unless a different reflector is supplied, it will be very bright, but maybe not quite as throwy as the current Lux I or K2 based units.

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
FWIW, i've made a Madmax+ sammie with a SSC-P4. Total cost with IMS reflector is just under $40. You would have to invest the time to source the parts (the Shoppe and PhotonFanatic) and build it though.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
How about picking up a minimag led 3AAA, which can be had at Home Depot (or used to be there) for about $20. From the Flashlight Reviews (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled3aa.htm) It has a runtime to 50% of light of about 2 1/2 hrs. According to this review the Lumens (with 1.39 X overall output) is about 56. It's a little longer than the 2AA lights since it has 3 batteries, but wouldn't this work well for caving? The 2AA minmag LED has about 38 lumens too, according to their review.

Personally, I have both and I like the extra throw of the 3AAA version. If you're looking for good light output and throw for very low cash input, the 3AAA version can't be beat if you don't mind the length. Get a clickie from Terralux (pull out the spring to make it work on the led version) and you won't have to turn it on from the head each time.

Also, if you can afford it, the Fenix L2D-CE is one hell of a light and much better than either--it's only about $53 from Fenix store with discount. It has multiple output levels and high is somewhere around 122 lumens on turbo, according to Flashlight Reviews (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm). Runtime on medium with Duracell 2650 NiMH is about 11 hour, with about 2 on turbo. I've verified this with my own Duracells.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge, Terralux will have an SSCP4 drop in for the MiniMag coming out in the next month or so. I would sit tight for one of those simply because you'll get the best performance out of a standard smaller sized 2AA MiniMag. The MagLED versions, while technologically a step forward for Mag, are just mediocre in performance and not to mention that they're physically bigger than the original 2AA Mini. To me, a standard 2AA MiniMag is at the edge of what many would consider a "pocket-sized" flashlight.

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
Deal extreme - Elly + Cree = 15.00 each I love mine and am buying more for the cars.

mpk

Newly Enlightened
Joe Talmadge said:
Next month I'm taking the family to Hawaii, where we'll be doing some "caving" in the lava tubes. Last time I did that, I discovered that the black porous rock "eats light" so much that even my 6P shone right in front of me didn't seem that bright! Also, flood just doesn't work, it gets eaten. You need lots of lumens (I'd want 50 mininimum) and high enough candlepower in the hot spot. I was hoping I could outfit my kids "on the cheap" with two <$40 high-lumen drop-ins for MiniMags, rather than having to pick up a couple of more-expensive entire lights.

I noticed the same thing.

My 1 watt terralux minimag was barely adequate, as you say the lava tubes eat photons. The clone 3 watts fared a little better. I had an incandescent light as a spare- it was woefully lacking. Good enough to not trip on stuff if everything else croaked, but bad for seeing the cave.

If I ever go back, I think I'd need two lights per person, maybe a 3 watt with a good hotspot for seeing down the tube, and the minimag for spill.

Last edited:

Skibane

Enlightened
Joe Talmadge said:
I was hoping I could outfit my kids "on the cheap" with two <$40 high-lumen drop-ins for MiniMags, rather than having to pick up a couple of more-expensive entire lights.

When you can buy a Fenix L2D-CE for just 15 bucks more (and get a brand-new flashlight that is superior in every conceivable way), why bother?

gunga

Flashaholic
I agree. I wanted to "pimp out" my minimag, perhaps find another one somewhere so I could have some fun upgrading it.

The only problem was all the wonderful crees available around $30-50 (Fenix, Jetbeam, Rexlight), I decided not to bother. $25+ for a great drop in, $5 for a clicky, plus the minimag? Didn't see the point. I settled with a $10 SMJ LED drop in and a clicky. Now the minimag lives on the nightstand for night wandering...

Just trying to decide if it's worth it to keep the IQ switch. Funky modes (should start on low), but wow, really kills the output (about %30 drop in output).

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Agreed, I already had a sammie so it was a simple matter of swapping the led to almost double the lumens, plus I just like fiddling with things sometimes. If you have some leeway in your budget the L2D-CE is a good buy and the multiple levels adds to its versatility.

Skibane said:
When you can buy a Fenix L2D-CE for just 15 bucks more (and get a brand-new flashlight that is superior in every conceivable way), why bother?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TerraLux TLE-5K2 Extreme is the top dog drop-in right now and well over 50 lumens but in about 4-6 weeks TerraLUX will release an SSC P4 version. Price on both versions is mid $20's

The run time is considerably in excess of an hour with both the current and future units.

$40 will also buy you a Free.Light Spartanian.

gunga

Flashaholic
Is there any multi-level switch for the minimag that doesn't kill output? The IQ is cool but the %30+ loss of output is a bit much. I'm also not a big fan of the 14.5 minute timer on the light.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Because I can't wait, I'm taking the advice to pick up a Fenix. I'll keep my eyes open for Terralux's SSC drop-in when it comes out. I just like the idea of re-using those mini-mags, especially for use by my kids. They can destroy everything but the LED module, and I can replace the body and other parts for cheap.