Ordered Dorcy 123's for hospital

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I decided that we should replace the cheapy 2D lights on our crash/code carts in the hospital (we have 13 units). I always liked (and EDC) my Dorcy 123 1W, so I ordered 16 of them, although which vendor they use is not up to me (suggested BrightGuy).

They were impressed about the shelf life of lithium cells.

I'll let people know how it works out.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Always nice to hear when a CPFr manages to upgrade the gear at some bigger place. Keep us updated how it works out!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTG! May even cause a few more cases of flashaholism. Don't be suprised if a few get "lost". To go from a ultra crappy incan 2D to that 1 watt CR123 powered LED may be too much for some of the unenlightened:laughing:

Illum

Flashaholic
mmm, thats good idea!
sigle celled lights wont :poof:
ease of use [unless theres users that twists the bezel:ohgeez:]

tasak said:
May even cause a few more cases of flashaholism.
that might...be a concern:grin2:

make sure you make it clear to them the dorcy is not meant for retinal checkups:ohgeez:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you mention that, I was just at the Doctor and while waiting in the exam room I noticed a POS plastic 2 D flashlight on the counter so naturally I picked it up and was playing with it when she walked in and said "are you planning on taking that" jokingly of course and I laughed and said "this thing, no way" So I pulled out my current EDC and said "this is a real flash light" and she was amazed and said that "they need to modernize their current pieces of junk".:)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Beamhead said:
"they need to modernize their current pieces of junk".:)

Hospitals have better stuff to do than updating their stash of lights....
I havent met a doctor thats a flashaholic yet...

Hospitals, aside from the clutter of equipment, you can pook your hand around , and know a 2D flashlight when you touch it. I dont know about the dorcy...:candle:

lightinsky

Enlightened
That's because Doctor's buy more expensive stuff like nice cars and nice homes or mansions. Flashlights are not in that category for Doctor's it seems imo unless they buy HID stuff.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:

Hospitals, aside from the clutter of equipment, you can pook your hand around , and know a 2D flashlight when you touch it. I dont know about the dorcy...:candle:

I actually think there are a couple of members here at CPF that are doctors. But I agree, it's quite understandable that hospitals dont put their money on flashlights(especially if too bright lights have no use in certain examinations) when there are tons of other stuff they have to get that's more important. But never the less, good job by kc2ouf!

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:

It was a Doctors office........and SHE said they needed to modernize their current lights. :touche:

Illum

Flashaholic
Lobo said:
when there are tons of other stuff they have to get that's more important.
:sigh:

Im not saying this may happen, but hospitals are considered as public areas...the hospitals going to have to find a way to keep track of their lights from being "carried out" if your going to leave them around an easily accessable area :ohgeez:

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
:sigh:

Im not saying this may happen, but hospitals are considered as public areas...the hospitals going to have to find a way to keep track of their lights from being "carried out" if your going to leave them around an easily accessable area :ohgeez:

We keep the carts locked and contents are signed for by staff. The hospital is open-minded to my flashaholism since our generator failed in 2003 and 400+ patients were in the dark (some of which you don't want wandering your neighborhood- if you've been reading about state hospitals in NY). They were also cool and let me install a ham station here (being 8 feet below sea level on the beach is a good motivator:whistle: ).

Last edited:

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Has anyone else had a problem with the switch on their Dorcy? I loved my light untill I pulled it out to check something at work and it wouldn't turn on. I had to unscrew the tailcap and screw it back down to get the light to come on. It seems to do this every time I don't use it for a little while.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Try cleaning the contacts and replacing the battery.

The Dorcys are great, relatively cheap and with the long battery life, work as great back up lights.

Illum

Flashaholic
Gunner12 said:
Try cleaning the contacts and replacing the battery.

The Dorcys are great, relatively cheap and with the long battery life, work as great back up lights.

the regulator has an contact issue, I found this on both of my dorcy123s, if you accidently unscrewed the bezel then screw it back on the light quits working, you have to uncrew the tailcap and dump the batteries out, then replace it for the light to function....this lead me to believe the regulator systems possess an manually reseting open circuit protection:ohgeez:

long battery life yes...oh yes:grin2:

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
the regulator has an contact issue, I found this on both of my dorcy123s, if you accidently unscrewed the bezel then screw it back on the light quits working, you have to uncrew the tailcap and dump the batteries out, then replace it for the light to function....this lead me to believe the regulator systems possess an manually reseting open circuit protection:ohgeez:

long battery life yes...oh yes:grin2:
This happened after the light had been in the holster on my duty belt for about a week. I pulled it out to check something and it wouldn't turn on no matter how many times I pushed the button. I finally took off the tailcap (to make sure pieces hadn't fallen out or something) and when I put the tailcap back on it worked fine. It seems to do this every time I leave it alone for any length of time.
In fact it did it just now when I pulled it out of the container it's been sitting in. But when I slammed it down on the desk it flashed. And after I tapped it on the desk a couple of times it went back to working normally.

Illum

Flashaholic
bullinchinashop said:
But when I slammed it down on the desk it flashed. And after I tapped it on the desk a couple of times it went back to working normally.

i forgot to mention the light doesnt fare too well to jarring....but the amount of force necessary to put it into early retirement is more than enough to eradicate the stock 2D kryptons to crumbs:grin2:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Illum_the_nation said:
...I havent met a doctor thats a flashaholic yet...
You do realize we have "several" doctors on board here, don't you?

As a matter of fact - we have our own CPF Staff Doctors (there must be a reason for that!! :ohgeez: )