New surefire Knife!

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

i thought i would be the first (i think) to tell you that Surefire has a new knife called the ECHO. it is a sheath blade, the sheath color is desert tan in kydex. the steel is CPM 3V, i have never heard of that before. the over all length is 8.75in. the blade length is 4.25in. and finally the handles are made of Black Micarta. you can see the new knife at www.tadgear.com

enjoy the new knife!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Nice looking fixed edged tool from SureFire I see. I've got a couple of MT's Currahee plain edge in Desert and Jungle Camo constructed of D2 that's similar in class. Hmmm. . .

Enjoy!

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
This one is kinda brain dead. The tan sheath is an obvious attempt at marketing to active duty soldiers, but they screw it up with the black handle. Hell, fracking GERBER got that one right, so why can't Surefire? Pfft.

batman

Enlightened
would this knife be up to a 2 hour dive in cold sea water on a routine basis? Would it damage the blade to use it against stainless steel?

goldenlight

Enlightened
Way overpriced. Surefire is banking on their name recognition. It's nothing special, not at that price!!!

You can do better with other, well known knife brands....

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
goldenlight said:
Way overpriced. Surefire is banking on their name recognition. It's nothing special, not at that price!!!

You can do better with other, well known knife brands....

Yep, I've never been impressed with surefire's knife offerings. Surefire needs to stick to flashlights, or hire someone who knows what they are doing with knifes.

Its the wrong size for just about anything (to small for a large utility blade, to big for a fixed everyday carry), half straight edge and half serrated, which I dislike because its the best of neither worlds, and has a odd colored sheath for a plain color knife.

In its defense it looks kinda cool, and uses a good steel. I might buy this knife if it was 100 dollars rather then 300, but if I'm paying 300 clams for something, it better be something I can, and want to, use.

iamerror

Enlightened
I don't see why Surefire would want to make knives. They are probably not bad knives, but it just doesn't seem right.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck they may start making guns, flashlights are mildly hard to produce, knives can be made pretty fast in a large shop. It's not too surprising SF would throw out a few knifes.

ghostrider

Enlightened
I'm guessing that Steve Ryan designed this knife as he did the other Surefire offerings. I've handled the Delta and it is a very good knife. Surefire's knives may be expensive but, they are only a fraction of what an actual Ryan knife would cost. I do understand that they are also NOT a Ryan knife, but they should be a less inhibitive alternative.

Still, for the price of a Delta I could get a couple Emersons. But then I could say the same about a Strider. To each his own.

Danbo

Enlightened
Looks like a pretty cool knife to me. They sure picked a great steel for it, IMHO. CPM3V is one of the best steels, IMO. A couple of things I am not keen on though. The price is too much, and the chisel grind. If they only ground one side of the blade, I'm not buying one at any price.

lukus

Enlightened
Danbo already pointed it out, but my biggest gripe is the chisel grind. I HATE chisel grinds. Chisel grinds are kind of left or right handed and make it a booger to use with the other. And to get straight cuts through anything, you have to angle the blade out of alignment with the cut. Not intuitive at all.

jlowe2

Newly Enlightened
i don't care for the chisel grind either. i think most of the surefire knives are in numbered groups which accounts for why they ask so much for them. i have one of the Alpha folders, and it's a very good knife,but i didn't pay 300 for it.

CLHC

Flashaholic
As what fellow member ghostrider mentioned regarding these SureFire knives being designed (SpearHeaded) by Steve Ryan. CRKT's collaboration produced the Ryan Model Seven Black 6813K. That can't be too seriously bad.

In addition to knives that SureFire is producing, as ya'll knows, they're producing suppressors and rails for weapons. . .I don't think these are "hokey" pieces of accessories. That'll be un-SureFire like. :huh:

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
That can't be too seriously bad.

I'm not trying to say it isn't a good product compared to 50 dollar knifes, I'm just saying for the price I expect much more.