Recommendation For A One AAA, Single Led Flashlight?

Spin

Enlightened
I'm looking for suggestions for a single led, one aaa flashlight. Here is my criteria;
1. Under $30.
2. Prefere longevity of battery over led brightness but willing to compromise.
3. Will be using this as my edc.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
The two most popular AAA keyring lights are the Arc AAA and the Fenix E0

I have the Fenix, and it's a very solid light, not up to the fit-and-finish of the Arc, but pretty close

all AAA based 5mm LED lights that use the white Nichia led generally have an "angry blue" color, and a typically blotchy hotspot, that's just par for the course with a 5mm LED, from what i've read the Fenix slightly underdrives it's LED, wheras the Arc slightly overdrives it's LED

the Arc will be marginally brighter, but the Fenix has longer runtime

the Fenix has around a 20 hour runtime on a 1.5 volt Energizer Lithium AAA

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your price range:

Arc AAA ($30)
Fenix E0 ($20)

Both 5mm Nichia LEDs, pretty bluish, the Fenix has better regulation (Arc is initially brighter, but Fenix brightness curve is flatter and runtime is better).

Fenix E1 ($25)

Nichia Rigel LED, still pretty blue, but whiter than the others. Good regulation, too. Relatively short runtime (~70min), but way brighter than the others. It's on my keychain and replaced the Arc.

Last edited:

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Another choice would be the Peak Matterhorn Type III HA 1 LED (see Peak Matterhorn), which lists for $29.95. The Peak Matterhorn is available in different metals (stainless steel and brass, as well as aluminum), different LED colors and different power levels -- lots of choices.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll also suggest the Fenix E0 for the reasons already given. If you think you can spend a bit more ($35), then consider the Fenix L0Pse for a solid light with three levels.

Geoff

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle said:
I'll also suggest the Fenix E0 for the reasons already given. If you think you can spend a bit more ($35), then consider the Fenix L0Pse for a solid light with three levels.

Geoff

+1... to the letter. The LOP SE is about 4 lumens on low, but is still nice and white compared to any 5mm LED.

paulr

Flashaholic
Basic choices:

1. Arc AAA, Peak Matterhorn: high quality 5mm lights, no nonsense, long runtime, moderate brightness.

2. Fenix E0, River Rock, etc.: similar to above but lower cost and lower quality

3. Fenix L0D CE: computerized, multiple brightnesses including a high level tremendously bright for such a tiny light. Runtime is somewhat unpredictable because of the varying current drains depending on brightness level. Build quaity decent, not great. Basically this is a miniaturized version of the 1x123 lights of a year or so ago, made possible by the Cree led. Fantastic little light but by your description, maybe not really what you're looking for.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Fenix E0 will suit you fine, then. It's as bright as a CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra (if not a bit brighter) and will run for 10 hours on a single AAA, 8 of those regulated.