Any more lower price? $9.99 shipped CREE P4 AA @ Kaidomain

ledflasher79

Newly Enlightened
new: Looks like Kai provides glass lens now.

After talking to Kai about price matching DX, he did it! $9.99 shipped each. Howerver, looks like no glass lens anymore, but 25% brighter than DX one with alkine or NIMH.

The link for $9.99 shipped each. link

**Hotlinked image removed**

- Equipped with CREE P4 XR-E LED Bulb
- Takes one 1.2V or 1.5V AA battery only
- Voltage step-up circurity
- Adjustable light focusing (focused or flood)
- Single mode reverse clicky
- Beefed-up o-rings
- Pre-greased thread
- Super compact design and travling weight
- Constant high power light output
- 3360 center lux, 3760 overall lux, 53 lumens

How to use?

Insert one 1.2V or 1.5V AA battery to use. Press the rear switch to turn it on/off.

Product description measurements
- Aluminum built with protective coating
- Switch Type: Reverse single mode clicky
- Uses CREE P4 XR-E LED Bulb
- Power consumption estimation: 2W to 2.5W
- Ultra-low battery estimation with long runtime duration

Dimensions:

Review:

(Update: I will be visiting the manufacturer at least once every two days, to make sure they are doing everything right as promised, and the light is as good as the production samples. (I included the 10 flashlight pack deal, just in case if you have a big family.). I will be personally testing this flashlight one by one, to make sure they are good enough for all of you.)

**Hotlinked image removed**

Finally there is an afforable and trusty CREE based mini flashlight available for everyone! At this unbelievable price, everyone included you and me, your parents, sons, daughters, or friends, can be CREE'ed up! This flashlight is intended to introduce everyone to the club of CREE, with wonderful usage and handling experience at minimal cost.

This performance review is based on the six production samples that I have received from the manufacturer. If you wish not to read further, I can conclude that this flashlight worth every penny, including the time that you spent thinking about it when it's being delivered by USPS airmail.

I used one SANYO 2700mAh AA battery here. When fully charged, it reads 2610mAh on my charger. I let the cells sit for awhile before popping it in into the flashlight. This flashlight shines very bright, considering it only uses one AA cell. Lux meter reads 2700lux center spot and 3760lux overall (about 52.3 lumens with multiplier 1.39). Using a new Energizer Alkine cell gives 3900lux overal (about 54.2 lumens) If a marketing company is advertising it, they would probably write 100 lumens on the packaging. Compareable the best performance CREE that uses bulky 3.7V 18650 or 3.7V multiple RCR123A cells, this pocket light performs very well with just one tiny 1.2V or 1.5V cell. It runtime performance is excellent, giving 4 hours to 20% or 3 hours to 50% of light output.

This flashlight has adjustable focusing flashlight head that gives you anything from tight focusing to flooded/unfocused light. There are a lot of thread inside the flashlight head, so don't worry about the head falling out when it's turned too far to the flooded focusing. When the head is screwed all the way in, you will see a very tight center spot, good for mid range use. When you lose the head slightly, you will see the light beam changing from super tight focusing to flooded light, good for a walking around light. There is a noticeable yellow ring when doing beam shot, but it's typical for smooth highly reflective reflector like this, and it's not noticeable during everyday usage. Operational temperature is just like room temperature, it runs very cool with constant high output.

There are two pre-oiled o-rings located at the both end of the battery barrel, to seal from the environment, but I wouldn't use this light when you go diving. The production flashlight available in a week will come with slightly beefed-up o-rings, for better water resistance. The flashlight head and the lens are in one piece and are sealed. This light has a huge and trusty rear reverse clicky switch that work very well. This flashlight does not sit on its rear cap to act as a candle light, but you can take the flashlight head off to use it as a holding candle.

Downside: One single light mode, but acceptable at this price and performance runtime. The protective coating on this light is not the best against scratch, but the built and design is outstanding. I wish it takes 14500 Li-ion 3.6V battery to boosted output, but the circuity won't stand the extra voltage. The opening of the reflector is slightly bigger than the outer ring of CREE LED bulb, I will see if I can do anything about it to make it look better.

Let me know what else I am missing.

**If you're NOT the author of the review posted at kaidomain.com, please remove the text that was copy/pasted from the Kaidomain website and posted in this post, as it's a violation of CPF rule #5. Also, hotlinked images are not allowed.**

Last edited by a moderator:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review ledflasher, it looks like you covered every important point. Let me know when something similar using one AAA battery comes along.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
This appears to be the exact same light offered by DX but they claim the light is made of steel. On Kaidomain it says the light is aluminum. I'm guessing that it is the same light and someone has guessed wrong on the material?

Zerius

Newly Enlightened
will the people who ordered before get glass? because i wouldn't mind paying a little extra for glass

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
Zerius said:
will the people who ordered before get glass? because i wouldn't mind paying a little extra for glass

I hope to get the glass but im not going to hold my breath :laughing:

xiaowenzu

Banned
The reason they changed from glass to plastic is to compensate for the low cost of the light. Any lower, and they'd start to lose profit... there's some seriously low profit margin going on here, and the only one who's benefiting is Cree U.S inc and their American Shareholders, who's laughing all the way to the bank. The bulk of this light's pricing ($9.99) is going straight to Cree company.

Brum

Newly Enlightened
xiaowenzu said:
The reason they changed from glass to plastic is to compensate for the low cost of the light. Any lower, and they'd start to lose profit... there's some seriously low profit margin going on here, and the only one who's benefiting is Cree U.S inc and their American Shareholders, who's laughing all the way to the bank. The bulk of this light's pricing ($9.99) is going straight to Cree company.
And how is that? That the emitters are reselling for $7 doesnt mean there not $1 gross. Still an amazing deal, really amazing.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Excuse my ignorance here, but I don't understand this statement from Kai (similar to some of his about other lights as well). He says: "Lux meter reads 2700lux center spot and 3760lux overall." I thought lux was a measure of one lumen per square meter. Lux meters give spot measures of lux, which is why the lux varies quite a bit as one mores the meter around the hot spot. Lumens are a measure of of overall light output from a light, which is why one needs an integrating sphere to accurately measure lumens, or overall output. So, I understand the concept of lux at the center spot, but not that of lux overall. Is lux overall some attempt to get at overall light output? If so, what does it mean?

Also, another question: I assume that if output at one meter by two flashlights is compared in lux, that gives only the output at the center and not overall light output in lumens. So, flashlight "1" description can read 2100 lux at one meter and 108 lumens while flashlight "2" can read 5600 lux at one meter and 106 lumens. This, I'm assuming, means that flashlight "1" has more light output but it is spread around much more while flashlight "2" has a much brighter hotspot, but is concentrated mostly in the hotspot. Is this correct?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse my ignorance here, but I don't understand this statement from Kai (similar to some of his about other lights as well). He says: "Lux meter reads 2700lux center spot and 3760lux overall." I thought lux was a measure of one lumen per square meter. Lux meters give spot measures of lux, which is why the lux varies quite a bit as one mores the meter around the hot spot. Lumens are a measure of of overall light output from a light, which is why one needs an integrating sphere to accurately measure lumens, or overall output. So, I understand the concept of lux at the center spot, but not that of lux overall. Is lux overall some attempt to get at overall light output? If so, what does it mean?
I believe that Kaidomain is doing a crude estimate of the Lumens by bouncing the light inside a reflective box and taking a reading with a luxmeter, then multiplying by a constant to convert that to an estimate of Lumens. This is the same methodology that flashlightreviews.com uses. I believe that "hotspot" lux is the highest lux reading at 1 meter distance from the light (center of the hotspot) and is a rough indicator of how far the light will throw. I find their lumens numbers are very conservative compared to most vendors who tend to inflate numbers.

Also, Kai seems to have changed back to glass window, and now is offering the light for $9.49! This is utterly ridiculous, between DX and Kai, that's something like 8 price changes in the last few hours -- thoug it's hard to complain as things keep getting better and cheaper :D

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
I believe that Kaidomain is doing a crude estimate of the Lumens by bouncing the light inside a reflective box and taking a reading with a luxmeter, then multiplying by a constant to convert that to an estimate of Lumens. This is the same methodology that flashlightreviews.com uses. I believe that "hotspot" lux is the highest lux reading at 1 meter distance from the light (center of the hotspot) and is a rough indicator of how far the light will throw. I find their lumens numbers are very conservative compared to most vendors who tend to inflate numbers. . .
The lux (main beam brightness) Kai quotes is about the same as I measured for my P1D CE on its high setting. The total lumen value is about the same as my measurement of the P1D CE at its medium (primary) output level. This is very believable since the light has a bigger reflector than the P1D CE, which would result in a brighter main beam for the same total lumen output. So the light should have about as bright a main spot as a P1D CE but a narrower main beam and/or less or dimmer spill. I'll definitely be ordering a couple as soon as the situation stabilizes a bit.

c_c

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody able to order this thing? Whenever I click to checkout, it sends me to a paypal page saying this transaction is invalid.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
B@rt said:
I just ordered. :shrug:

Seriously? I've tried checking out about 8 or 9 times and it always sends me to a "this transaction is invalid" page. Forgive me, but you ordered the one from Kaidomain, right? Not the similar one from Dealextreme? I know what thread this is, but it just doesn't make sense why you can order it and I cannot.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
B@rt said:
Yup, from Kaidomain. Is your PP adress verified? Maybe try to use the alternative adress option?

Yup, it's verified. The alternative address option gets me the same page. Oh well, I'll try to figure it out tomorrow. It's gettin' late, now--4:14am, now that DST is in effect.

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
Trashman said:
Anybody able to order this thing? Whenever I click to checkout, it sends me to a paypal page saying this transaction is invalid.

I get the same thing in firefox and the cart gets cleared when continuing shopping. Seems to work ok in IE though.

I think I'm going to wait, since I ordered the elly and cree star Friday. Maybe by the end of the week they will have one with the glass window and Al reflector.

lexina

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Seriously? I've tried checking out about 8 or 9 times and it always sends me to a "this transaction is invalid" page. Forgive me, but you ordered the one from Kaidomain, right? Not the similar one from Dealextreme? I know what thread this is, but it just doesn't make sense why you can order it and I cannot.

I had the same problem initially too - see my post on the parallel thread on this light.

I finally managed to order after i opened an account with kaidomain (just need to supply an email and a password). Maybe that will work for you too.

Last edited: