Question on Surefire 6PN

firefly99

Enlightened
I saw a SF 6PN at my local Surefire dealer shop. I was allow to examine the 6PN and compare it with a 6P.

Physically, both light are identical. Even the wording on the body said "Surefire 6P". There is totally no indication that it is a "6PN"

I remember in another CPF thread someone had mention that the 6PN had 2 O ring on the tailcap end. But I see only 1 O ring on the tailcap end.

Does this mean that this 6PN is actually a "normal 6P with 1 O ring at tailcap end", that had been tested to a depth of 33m.

Can someone please confirm if 6PN actually come with 1 or 2 Oring at the tailcap end.

There are 2 difference,
a) the price
b) 6PN was pack in a box with a sticker "tested to 33m"
while the 6P was in blister pack.

Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 6PN will only have one single o-ring.
The increased price is due to it having been individually tested.
Note that by taking the TailCap off it is no longer rated waterproof.
(just like with wrist watches etc)
It is highly likely that a well looked after SureFire will be 'waterproof' to 33m. The difference is that SureFire have individually tested the N-certified products to ensure they are.

firefly99

Enlightened
Size15's said:
The 6PN will only have one single o-ring.
If a normal 6P is prepared and tested to 33m successfully, then rename as 6PN. Then it will only has 1 O ring.

In the following thread, someone quoted SF CS as saying that the only dive light sold to public is 6PN and the difference between 6P & 6PN is a 2nd O ring on the tailcap of a 6PN.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82336
Size15's said:
Note that by taking the TailCap off it is no longer rated waterproof.
You mean the moment I remove the tailcap to put in fresh battery, the waterproof rating will be void ? Even if I relube the O ring and screw in the tailcap.

Does replacing batteries in dive light, void the waterproof rating ?

Size15's

Flashaholic
firefly99 said:
Does replacing batteries in dive light, void the waterproof rating ?
I understand it does.

Note that the 2nd o-ring is intended to allow a component to be rotated underwater. This is not usually required.

What the user does with his SureFire (regardless of whether it has been N-Certified or not) is far more important than whether SureFire has N-Certified it with regards to it's ability to resist water ingress.

It's not a divelight. If you want to use it as one then you are accepting the risk. You should never dive with only one light anyway.
To reduce the risk you have have SureFire test it, or you can test it yourself by actually taking it underwater yourself.

Al

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
With all due respect, I am not doubting you. Just find the concept of "certification valid till next battery change" strange.

It is fair to pay for someone time and effort to do the certification.

For the price of a 6PN, I can get 2 piece of 6P. But if waterproof rating is void when battery is change, then I will not be so keen on buying a 6PN. After all there is no marking on the body to indicate it is a 6PN.

What happen to those N certified lights issued to Navy ? Does a Navy Seal dispose of the light when battery has no juice ? If he change the battery and continue with a light that has lost its rating, would that endanger him ?

Adding a Z21 closed end tailcap to a 6P or Z2, guess that would make it more waterproof.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't think that the 6PN would be the light of choice for diving anyway. I also doubt that any military operation is using the 6PN as a primary dive light, although I wouldn't doubt that the military would shrug twice about tossing a light like that when its batteries died ;)

Size15's

Flashaholic
They'd either be returned to SureFire for battery replacement & re-testing, re-tested by the support staff back at base, or more-likely, well-cared for so that quality seals are ensured.

You are welcome to call SureFire [Tech Support] and talk to them about what the "N" means...

Al

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, can't you replace the batteries from the head-end and not take off the tailcap?? Or am I too tired thinking about this right now??..

Size15's

Flashaholic
ACMarina said:
Wait, can't you replace the batteries from the head-end and not take off the tailcap?? Or am I too tired thinking about this right now??..
You can do whatever you like, but if you open the flashlight my understanding is that the N-Certification is no longer strictly speaking valid since SureFire tested the seals in place at the time of testing, and have no way of knowing the condition of the seals flowing submersion in salt water or whatever conditions of use the flashlight was subjected to following the testing they performed.

Al

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, gotcha :) Now that I'm awake it makes a lot more sense..

I don't dive Surefire anyway, but I thought I'd just clarify that :)

firefly99

Enlightened
I just spoke to a Surefire tech support guy. He said once a 6P is tested at a depth of 33metres and pass. It will be given the 6PN certification.

This N certification is permanent, it will not be void when user remove either bezel or tailcap for batteries or lamp assembly replacement.

firefly99

Enlightened
My understanding is the "bezel and tailcap connecting to body and O ring sealed at both end" is tested to a depth of 33metres and pass. Will be considered waterproof to 33metres and earn the N certification. Removing either bezel or tailcap has no impact on the seal, since reattaching would reestablised the seal again. So lamp assembly and battery replacement will not void the waterproof rating.

I did not ask about O ring changes. But since O ring is one of the components being tested and responsible for the sealing. Any such changes using incorrectly size O ring may affect the seal and void the N certification.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I guess this is one of those times when tech support says different things at different times.

The important thing to remember is that care of o-ring seals is vital when taking things underwater regardless of whether the device has been depth-tested or not. The depth-testing serves as an additional indicator of product performance.

Al

firefly99

Enlightened
Size15's said:
The important thing to remember is that care of o-ring seals is vital when taking things underwater regardless of whether the device has been depth-tested or not. The depth-testing serves as an additional indicator of product performance.Al

I agreed. Many thanks, Al.

Latest posts