Milky M273 - the L4/L5 eater

JanCPF

Enlightened
M273.jpg

I have been using my L5 and L4 for a couple of years now for my night hikes and found their big hotspot and smooth blend into sidespill especially useful for trail following. But I've always wished I could have the relatively good throw of the L5 and the very wide spill of the L4 in one light, and that is exactly what I got now and more to boot. Throw is actually better than on my L5 (I measured 2300 Lux@1m vs. L5's 1600 Lux@1m) and of course it pumps out a huge amount of lumens in the wide spill which is brighter than both the L4 and L5. On top of it all it runs for 110 minutes in complete flat regulation on one 18650 (2200 mAH) as opposed to 80 minutes for my L5. It's quite awesome really.

So for you L4/L5 lovers: This is what you want. Thanks Milky for this great light. :twothumbs: :goodjob:

EDIT: Sorry for the Pelican lanyard. This really deserves better, but thats what I got right now. :D

Jan

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
I'm due to get one of those very same beauties in a week or so, very nice, I'm quite excited :D, nice light!

Ian :)

JanCPF

Enlightened
You wont regret it Ian. It's amasing that such a small light can produce this kind of output. Actually you shuold bring it with you to Thailand for some awesome night walks in the jungle. :)

Jan

JanCPF

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Where did you get that black M-series head?
KDOG, It may look black, but it actually is HA-NAT. I think it's the exposure of the photo that makes it look black, and also the Leef body which is a very light shade of grey.

Jan

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seijin said:
How does one go about acquiring one of these gems? :)
Contact CPF member 'milkyspit' - just one of our members here with a funny name - a name I'm guessing was acquired by having babies and little kids around.

ianb

Enlightened
JanCPF said:
You wont regret it Ian. It's amasing that such a small light can produce this kind of output. Actually you shuold bring it with you to Thailand for some awesome night walks in the jungle. :)

Jan
yes, I just upgraded to EMS shipping to make sure I get it in time :) . I'm glad I chose M273 instead of 375 as I think the increased output would be of little use(IMHO) compared to the 40 minutes of extra runtime. Oooh I'm quite excited now, thanks Jan :D

Ian :)

jtice

Flashaholic
Well that depends, can you carry an L5 as your EDC?
I personally dont mind large lights like the U2 and L5 as EDC, so for me it would be fine.

I do however like bezel down clips much better than bezel up.
Due to the fact that is leaves the pocket opening larger, letting the larger head sit down in the pocket.

You could place the M275, M375, M180,, etc, on a C2 body with a Leff C2M adater, but that would be bezel up carry.

So it does seem to be a L4 killer in every aspect except size.

I have a M375 on order with Scott, cant frickin wait !!!! :rock:

~John

Robban

Enlightened
If I may ask, around what price do these customs end up? I could ask Milky but I imagine he gets enough PMs without someone like me bothering him about price for something I haven't even decided upon yet :p

JanCPF

Enlightened
270winchester said:
snip
L4-eater? a little unfair don't you think?
Okay that may be a little unfair, and don't get me wrong - I love the pocketability of the L4 (especially as a TW4 config), but I was refering to the beam only.

jtice,
What runtime are you expecting on yours?

Robban,
You are looking at about $250 for the KL2 head alone (depending on the LEDs), and then you can either buy a Leef C-M body for about $60 or put it on a M body or a C body with Leefdapter (from Lighthound) and then round everything of by a Surefire C/M tailcap of your choice.

Jan

Last edited:

Robban

Enlightened
JanCPF said:
Robban,
You are looking at about $250 for the KL2 head alone (depending on the LEDs), and then you can either buy a Leef C-M body for about $60 or put it on a M body or a C body with Leefdapter (from Lighthound) and then round everything of by a Surefire C/M tailcap of your choice.

Jan
Thanks :) I have a nice little chunk of cash sitting in my PayPal account that I "need" to get rid of :p

jtice

Flashaholic
Jan,

Not totally sure yet, but I am thinking about 1 hour on an 18650.
I am sacrificing some runtime for the output, but I think I will like it :D
Later on if the multi-stage boards get worked out, that will be an unbeatable light.

~John

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
FASTCAR said:
Seems similar to my ASP TRIAD 3x cree

Yup... they must have been hanging around CPF for a while while designing that light! ;)

Actually, I saw the ASP Triad 3x Cree lights at SHOT show in January... they were pretty nice. Out of curiosity just looked-up that light's specs (didn't want to rely on what their rep said a couple months ago) and compared to Jan's light... here's the comparison...

ASP Triad 3x Cree

Length 5.5"
Diameter 1.4"
Weight 5.3 ounces (without batteries)
Output 120 lumens
Runtime 2 hours (claimed, untested) on 2x123 (8.4 watt-hours)

M273-KL2 on LeefBody 2X

Length 5.75"
Diameter 1.6"
Weight 5.8 ounces (without batteries)
Output 273 lumens
Runtime 2 hours (tested) on AW 1x18650 protected (7.92 watt-hours)

BTW, where'd you get your ASP? I haven't seen it for sale yet.
:thinking:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
Jan,

Not totally sure yet, but I am thinking about 1 hour on an 18650.
I am sacrificing some runtime for the output, but I think I will like it :D
Later on if the multi-stage boards get worked out, that will be an unbeatable light.

~John

Dont worry, I run my M375 on 3x CR123A's. I should get about 1.5 Hours.

Milky M-line Rocks!

Nice light!