L2P V2 versus L2T

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

There has been a lot of talk about the new L2D CE lately and little or no mention is made about the new L2P V2.
Flashlightreviews does not show runtimes and I haven't found any from Chevrofreak thusfar :mecry:

Last week I got my L2P V2 and started comparing it to my L2T. As my L2T is "on permanent high" I can't compare the low settings but when it comes to the high settings, there is little or no difference in output. The only thing is that the L2P seems less blue.
Another thing is that the clickie works unreliable and sometimes the L2P does not light up with the first click.

While the old/original L2P was known for it's flat regulation, better than the L2T, I wonder if this is still valid for the new version.

Or is the new version simply an L2T with the better looking body of the L2P ?

Anyhow I still consider the Fenix 2AA lights pretty much the best in their class. (my Peak Mediterranean with a 2AA body really is too long in most cases)

Thanks for clarifying,
Joris

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also noticed the lack of blue in the output of the L2Pv2 compared to the L2T (and the L2P and L1P, for what it's worth). However, even the L2Pv2 appears slightly blue compared to the P1.

There's at least a slight difference between the L2T and L2Pv2 heads. Using one of the CR123 bodies that 4sevens used to sell, the low output mode of the L2T does not work, but both output modes work fine when using the same body with the L2Pv2.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
22hornet said:
There has been a lot of talk about the new L2D CE lately and little or no mention is made about the new L2P V2.
Flashlightreviews does not show runtimes and I haven't found any from Chevrofreak thusfar :mecry:

I'm doing them right now ;) They should be done in 4-5 days.

The low mode is much dimmer than the L2T or L2S and has much much longer runtime as a result, but, as usual, low doesn't like the higher voltage of lithium or alkaline cells.

I think it is possibly the most useful Luxeon based Fenix flashlight yet, and running Ni-MH in it would allow it to run in regulation on low almost from the start.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have noticed that both the L2T and the L2P are almost identical in the beam department, also the runtime is very close.
I would love to see a Cree version of the L2P V2

22hornet

Enlightened
As found in another thread:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147441
"The output current will be 350 mah instead of 450ma on L2T"
regulation should be better than the L2T at the price of a slightly lower output.

This week I've been using my L2P with alkalines but the light didn't "click" out. It went gradually to a low setting, which was still marginally above it's standard low setting.

Joris

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
gswitter said:
There's at least a slight difference between the L2T and L2Pv2 heads. Using one of the CR123 bodies that 4sevens used to sell, the low output mode of the L2T does not work, but both output modes work fine when using the same body with the L2Pv2.

That depends on which CR123 body you're talking about. There were the orginal CR123 bodies made for the L2P, and newer models made for the L1T/L2T head that also work on the L2P. The newer bodies designed for theL1T/ L2T don't have anodizing on the "head end" threads like the old models, and work perfectly in high and low mode on an L1T/L2T.

There were also a some "naked" L2P CR123 bodies made, and they work with high and low mode on an L1T/L2T with very slight modification.

I will be anxiously awaiting your runtime graphs chevrofreak. I've always been very impressed with the excellent regulation the original L2P provides (two hours flat reg. on high with alkalines!!), and I want to see how the v2.0 compares in high mode.

Last edited: