new ~$5 shipped 1W 1AA flashlights on DX

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, the DX site is now back and they seem to have new flashlights which are 1W 1AA for around $5 shipped. probably the internals of the Elly in a thinner form. Looks nice. Don't need it but I think I am going to get one anyways.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. They have a few new lights.

New 1xAA and a few 3W MXDL CR123 lights in white blue black and gray for $6.50.

IT looks like all of these may be using the same plastic reflector and LED from the Elly, in which case swapping in a Cree and the new Aluminum reflector from the $10 Cree light would yield a very nice product. The plastic reflectors could then be put back into the $10 Cree lights (which wuld have lower output -- put the reflector in the lights with the best output)

2 Cree Ellys (to cannibalize for reflectors), one of the CR123 lights, and one of the new 1xAA lights, and two Cree stars would cost a grand total of $46 shipped for FOUR Cree lights (a few good 1W and a 3W pocket rocket) all for less than the price of one Cree light anywhere else.

I think I'll wait a couple weeks before ordering anything else, just to wait and see if they make any of these others in a Cree edition.

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will wait the 2 weeks then order and DX will come out with the Cree version a day later...:lolsign::lolsign::lolsign:
2xTrinity said:
I think I'll wait a couple weeks before ordering anything else, just to wait and see if they make any of these others in a Cree edition.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightbug said:
Just ordered one, going to replace the LED with a SSC p4 U-bin.

DX also has a good ipod shuffle 2 clone mp3 player 1 gig for only $18.89, which is a steal.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2128
Wow. the I wonder if that's actually the real factory putting out extras under the table. That's looks like an exact clone. The audio could be much poorer quality for all we know though. Looks like they also have an MP3 player that has a small scren that looks similar to a Nano: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2289. This plays MP4 (.m4a files like the regular iPod, but certainly not Apple's protected .m4p files :D)

kanarie

Enlightened
Those 3W MXDL CR123 light aren't good candidates for modding.
The cicuit board almost melted after putting in a a Cree and a CR123 3,6V.

r0b0r

Enlightened
"This plays MP4 (.m4a files like the regular iPod, but certainly not Apple's protected .m4p files)"

That's why you liberate your media...

"That's looks like an exact clone. The audio could be much poorer quality for all we know though"

Totally possible, though the chipsets used in DAPs has had a very long time to mature and in most cases the generic stuff is pretty good. It's not like you're going to be using a shuffle for real critical listening though :p

I wonder what the battery life is like, and if it does indeed have a RANDOM shuffle instead of those god awful fixed pattern ones. Grr.
That would be the decider for me, as the price is good to have as a spare filled with ~96kbps music for ambience etc (through speakers)

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
really? kai's says it doesn't support shuffle, and that the batt. life is only 2.5.

they seem to sell 2 versions, one with a 2.5mm jack, and one with the standard 3.5mm jack.

I ordered a SD card mp3 player from DX, but would be interested in picking up one of these other iPod knockoffs for beater use, as someone mentioned above. but 2.5hrs is a bit low. Either way though, I'm wondering if anyone's taken one for the team and has experience w/ these?

Also, re these MXDL lights, I doubt the reflector from the updated Elly would fit these, as it's much bigger. The AA and CR123 lights definitely look smaller. Even though they're MXDL lights that doesn't mean that their parts are inter-compatible necessarily. It'd be nice if they were, but I doubt so...

Last edited:

IdiotsAbound

Newly Enlightened
lightbug said:
shuffle 2 clone mp3 player supports shuffle mod according to DX.

Yes, you could see the shuffle button in the pictures on the DX one.

I ordered one from DX, but likely won't get here for a month as the order I placed 2 weeks ago still hasn't shipped according to thier tracking site.

Will let ya guys know what t's like when I get it if someone else doesn't beat me to it lol.

jng

Newly Enlightened
I was going to order one of those shuffle clones, but looks like DX pulled it after some complaints.

IdiotsAbound

Newly Enlightened
jng said:
I was going to order one of those shuffle clones, but looks like DX pulled it after some complaints.

The red one was pulled but Kyle apparently will ship current orders. However I am going to cancel my order as I just found out it only has the 2.5mm jack which would make it hard to find compatible earphones since most are 3.5mm.

The black one is 3.5mm and apparently is still being sold, but it doesn't have shuffle mode.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one CR123 MXDL in Hong Kong.

hongkong2007editedfoodfmx6.jpg

The MXDL Module is off centerd. Has a blueish tint.

I could have got the light cheaper at Deal Extreme. I paid $10.00.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada - how's the output on these - comparable to one of the luxIII CR2 or CR123 chinese lights? have you tried opening one up yet to see if a star would fit? thx...

spideyfan

Newly Enlightened
mcmc said:
ernsanada - how's the output on these - comparable to one of the luxIII CR2 or CR123 chinese lights? have you tried opening one up yet to see if a star would fit? thx...

I have the same question. I am looking for picking up the blue one. That electric blue is amazing but dont want something that has a near non-usable beam.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a few of these lights (the 1AA and the 3W MXDL) I plan to hack them apart and drop a Seoul emitter in there. If the results are good, I intend to order many more. This may be the next good mod to do to DX lights now that the Elly + Cree is available stock.