Dealextreme drop in for G2, 6P, etc???

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I noticed they have 2 for sale.
1 is $14, the other is $12.50
Has anyone tried both?
What is the difference (other than looks like one is disassembled)?
Output?
Which is brighter?
Which has a smoother, beter beam?

Thanks for any answers:)

Vickers

Enlightened
I ordered the $12.50 one (the $14 one was out of stock).

I want to see if it'll fit in a Brinkmann Maxfire LX...I'll report later if it does.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
$14 comes with large spring, which is needed for neg contact within the 501B (Benno).

Probably same for other torches needing neg contact with body of torch.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for my replacement Ultrafire $14 one. The one I got didn't work for me using 8.3v or 9v (2x17670, 3xCR123).

AZ Sky

Newly Enlightened
I just received a pair of the $12.50 drop ins from Dealextreme.
One worked great, the other almost fried my batterys.

There is an inherent design flaw that I discovered. I managed to fix the one that didn't work and I also modifyied the one that was working.
After that I can say that I really like these twelve buck dropins and I will probably purchase a few more.

The following pics are taken at a distance of 25ft from my garage door.

Here is a pic of my SF-6P with its original 60 lm inc lamp and fresh SF CR123's:
75925848.jpg

I then (using the same batteries) replaced the bulb with the Dealextreme $12.50 drop in:
75926512.jpg

Both photo exposures were fixed at 1/2sec f2.8 iso200.

It will take me some time to photo the design flaw and possible fixes - but I need to go to bed now.....
Later -

Radio

Modulated Moderator
AZ Sky said:
I just received a pair of the $12.50 drop ins from Dealextreme.
One worked great, the other almost fried my batterys.

There is an inherent design flaw that I discovered. I managed to fix the one that didn't work and I also modifyied the one that was working.
After that I can say that I really like these twelve buck dropins and I will probably purchase a few more.

What was the FLAW and the FIX? I am using two now and they both work great, one in a G2 and another in a G2Z.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
It's just you!

Just kidding, I'm missing my fix, too.

daloosh

Well, I did my two Hastos yesterday, and one is a loser greenie, which will be perfect to throw a Seoul into!

AZ Sky

Newly Enlightened
One of the two drop-ins I received didn't work, in fact it had a dead short that darn near took my batteries apart before I figured it out.

Here's the deal. The reflector screws down onto the base however there is nothing to stop it from being screwed down to far.
When the reflector is screwed down to far it can easily short the two wires that connect to the emitter causing a DEAD SHORT - which is what happened in my case.
Apparently nothing was damaged as it seemed to work properly once I got it fixed.

I'm not sure what the best way is to insure this doesn't happen. In my case I resoldered the HOT(red) wire so it didn't stick up so high. I also added a dab of solder to the black wire to aid as a stop for the reflector base. I think I will also apply some sort of insulating glue or epoxy to cover the HOT connections.

Here is a pic of the reflector unscrewed from the base:
75946313.jpg

Here is where the problem can occur if the reflector is screwed down to far:
75946908.jpg

On a side note. While I had this thing apart I took some measurements.
The module is definitely regulated, it draws approximately .5amps with a 6 volt feed (the stock P60 inc bulb draws .93amps).
I lifted one of the emitter feeds and measured approximately 660ma of led current with about 3.3 volts across the emitter. This current stayed more or less constant down to a supply feed of 4 volts.

Anyway - that's my story.....

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if that was what was wrong with mine? It would light up for a second and quickly fade off.
I hope Kai begins offering these, I really like how yours looks according to your beam shots! Or that DX comes back, with them in stock.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if that was what was wrong with mine? It would light up for a second and quickly fade off.
I hope Kai begins offering these, I really like how yours looks according to your beam shots! Or that DX comes back, with them in stock.
If that happens, it's often a good idea to take the module out, and check for a short using the continuity checker feature on the multimeter. If it doesn't look like it, hook up some batteries and test the current. If it lights up for a second, then current shoots way up and the light output goes down, that probably means a short that is being caused by heating/thermal expnasion. I will somtimes put a small piece of electrical tape over wires that are in places likely to cause shorts, in the case of this light, putting a little bit over the wires conecting to the LED may be a good idea.