Free, or low cost software to convert CD's to MP3 files?

goldenlight

Enlightened
I finally had to convert my computer to Windows XP (I HATE IT; at least I have a freind who did it for free..)

Several years ago, I purchased a copy of Roxio Easy CD creator. One of the things it would do is convert my music CD's to MP3 files, with choices of bitrates from 128kbs to 320kbs.

Now the software won't run under Windows XP (Thanks, Bill Gates et al)

So I was wondering if I could get software that will do this, either freeware, or at low cost? The Roxio software cost me $80. I can still burn CD's, but for some reason, it won't do the MP3 conversion. (Do I smell the skunk-like odor (IMHO) of the RIAA?)

TIA

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
CDEX works on Windows XP (Source Forge open source)...

I also use the current version of Windows Media Player to put CD to MP3 files on a little player I have...

-Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
golden - did you try the compatibility mode option? Sorry if you already know this:

(right click on file, select properties, select compatibility tab & OS you wish)

HOWEVER, I do understand that some older wares just won't launch. There are freewares out there to hook you up though if the compatibility option doesn't do it for you.

What version of Roxio is it?

Somy Nex

Enlightened
+1 CDEX is very versatile & completely free, and works very well for me :)

BB said:
CDEX works on Windows XP (Source Forge open source)...

I also use the current version of Windows Media Player to put CD to MP3 files on a little player I have...

-Bill

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd try Sigman's suggestion first, but I've used CDex v1.51 and have converted about 17,000 files and haven't had a single issue with any of them.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Sigman said:
golden - did you try the compatibility mode option? Sorry if you already know this:

(right click on file, select properties, select compatibility tab & OS you wish)

HOWEVER, I do understand that some older wares just won't launch. There are freewares out there to hook you up though if the compatibility option doesn't do it for you.

What version of Roxio is it?

Hmm....can't even find what you're talking about... R-Click file...where?

The Roxio is version 5.0

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, Roxio v5 works fine on my up to date old Windows XP laptop (Roxio has always been a little flaky on several of my PC)...

-Bill

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
goldenlight said:
I finally had to convert my computer to Windows XP (I HATE IT; at least I have a freind who did it for free..)

Several years ago, I purchased a copy of Roxio Easy CD creator. One of the things it would do is convert my music CD's to MP3 files, with choices of bitrates from 128kbs to 320kbs.

Now the software won't run under Windows XP (Thanks, Bill Gates et al)

So I was wondering if I could get software that will do this, either freeware, or at low cost? The Roxio software cost me $80. I can still burn CD's, but for some reason, it won't do the MP3 conversion. (Do I smell the skunk-like odor (IMHO) of the RIAA?)

TIA
So you commit a felony and complain when you can't use the software that comes with the system?
RYFM

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
As mentioned earlier, Exact Audio Copy with the LAME encoder is the best, followed by dBPowerAmp both of which are free. Audiograbber is ok, but not as accurate as the first choice.

Latest posts