20 must-have Firefox extensions

cy

Flashaholic
thought the same thing on adblock. been using for some time. works great!

thanks for reminding me of tinyurl... just reinstalled

LuxLuthor said:
They neglected Adblock which is one of the more useful ones, and TinyURL

atm

Enlightened
Agreed re Adblock, and NoScript I find similarly useful.

If anyone knows of an extension that allows renaming of tabs I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened
that firefox showcase looks pretty cool.

adblock......gotta try that. still new to firefox, been using opera for ages, and i finally gave up on it. extremely glad that i did

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, it is now Adblock Plus that you want to look for... The old Adblock is not supported anymore:

http://adblockplus.org/en/

And NoScript is at:

http://noscript.net/

If you use the onboard user name / password vault--then you should use this to automatically logout your automatic password fill-in if you walk away from your computer:

http://www.jetr.com/master_password_timeout/

And if you go to forums and such where they don't always code the URL's but leave them as plain text instead--just highlight the text and right click to open the link (in page, new tab, new window):

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~jchien/code/ftu.html

-Bill

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link to the article. :) Picked up a few cool extensions I didn't know about. :grin2:

cy

Flashaholic
for those who have not experienced the power of firefox extensions.

try em... you'd like em..

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Jeez - that site had 2 pop-ups blocked... It's no wonder they didn't recommend AdBlock... :thumbsdow

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I used to purposely not install Ad Block / NoScript because I realize that the folks that offer on-line content "free" need some form of revenue...

However, once they started all sorts of Java/Flash/etc. junk to force you to pay attention to ads (wipes/blinks/delays/pop ups/pop unders/sound/loading adware/tracking ware/software/spyware/etc. and just about anything else they believe that they have a right to on my computer--I switched to FireFox and (a bit later) locked my machine down tight.

I still have a few pangs about not supporting "ad supported" content--but they did it to themselves.

Now, with cookies blocked, java blocked, ads blocked, scripts blocked, except for those few sites I white list--I am back to the browsing experience of 10 years ago (few ads, no pop ups/unders, no spyware, etc.).

-Bill

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
McAfee SiteAdvisor

Shows which sites have bad(virus or just plane annoying) links and stuff. I find it useful. It does not block any websites, just shows four different colors for differet levels. Green = good, yellow = Ok, red = Warning(some websites show red but are perfectlly safe, the links are to ba sites though), White = Unknown/Testing.

Last edited:

InFlux

Enlightened
atm said:
Agreed re Adblock, and NoScript I find similarly useful.

If anyone knows of an extension that allows renaming of tabs I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.
Page Title Eraser does that :) (but you can only specify one new title at a time.)

TabRenamizer looks like it may be more what you're looking for, but I haven't tried it. :grin2:

Last edited:

goldenlight

Enlightened
K A said:
Link works fine for me. Try it again?

I tried it with both Firefox, and Opera. I get to ComputerWorld, with the message:

'The page you requested cannot be found'.

Is the info somewhere on the site that's not obvious?

Thanks