Acebeam        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning against McGizmo clips

Exclamation Warning against McGizmo clips

I have been using one of these McGizmo clips to attach my TiCN Draco to my keychain so it is easily detachable, what I discovered yesterday was that it was a little bit too easily detachable since it detached on its own. When I got home and was locking the door I was shocked to see that my Draco was no longer there
    I backtracked my steps through the day were I had used my keys, and when I drove back to were I had parked my car earlier I found the Draco lying in the middle of the road not far from were my car had been parked It was still in perfect shape (so I doubt any cars have driven over it) and still attached to the clip. The clip must have opened when I took the keys out of my pocket. When getting home I did some testing and these clips comes off easily if subjected to pressure in the wrong place. So I will warn you against using these clips on your keychain, at least for high dollar items you are afraid of losing.

Sigbjoern

Default Re: Warning against McGizmo clips

Thanks for the heads up, and I am glad to hear you found your baby
    EDC: Ra Clicky 100WWCn/ Muyshondt Aeon
    Other Favorites: Surefire LX2/Eagletac M2XC4/ DBS V2 1S-R2, MC-E

Super Moderator

Which size clip was it? There are 4 sizes. The largest size is very robust and ideal for a keychain, although too big for a Draco. The next one down is pretty good too. The 3rd one seems OK but is quite fiddly, but I agree I wouldn't trust the smallest one -- it is only a half-inch long, the spring is very weak and it could easily open by accident.
    Resistance is futile...

Glad that you found it

I would guess maybe 3 or 4 years ago there were a number of threads discussing and detailing the issue and cautions of any type of clip that does not have a locking mechanisim. These clips and carabiners can capsize rather easily in the right (wrong) conditions. It is often a case of geometry and even a right and wrong way to clip the clip to the devise intended. Too tired to dredge it up now.

I am glad you didn't loose your light!!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by DM51
    Which size clip was it?
    It was the 25 mm, but I wouldn't trust the other sizes either, and as McGizmo said, this can happen to any clip/carabiner without a locking mechanism.

Sigbjoern

I used the smallest size for awhile to attach my ARC AAA to my car key. It wound up separating the light from the kety in my pocket too many times, so I stopped using it.

good thing you found your light. sad to see a great light been lost again.

*Flashaholic*

had a similar thing happen with surefire clip and have never trusted these type clips.

instead use a direct connection to lanyard for M6

Super Moderator

So what do you guys use for items you want to detach from your keyring quickly?
    Resistance is futile...

I've been using the 25mm on a rather thick split ring (1.5" diameter). Never had it separate unintentionally and I think it would be difficult for it to do so.

I noticed the same issue right away, so I just squeeze the opening in the tips of all sizes with needle nose pliers (creating a hook if you will) so it wont easily come off. Haven't had a problem yet......knock wood.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

I, too, have been using the smallest size for a Squirt P4 and an Arc AAA on my keychain. They have both come unclipped several times. I think I will just go back to a direct connection, although I like being able to quickly disconnect the light or the tool from the keychain.

I have all four sizes and use them all, but for different things!

From experience, I confirm the very smallest one is far too weak to rely on for anything heavier than my disposable earplugs-on-a-string. Very handy for those, clipped through a buttonhole.

The spring wire on the small ones is too thin or weak, or the holes aren't offset enough, or both.

I assume it's stainless not titanium wire? Any ideas for aftermarket replacement spring material, anyone?

Flashaholic*

I have been using the same clip for several months to carrry my Draco on a neck chain. I have never had it come loose. I think these get unclipped when the light twists around the clip so that it is pulling on the gate and not the immovable part of the clip. For my keychain carry, I don't use these clips. Instead I use a keychain like this.

I'll add to the chorus of "don't depend on these". They're great for quickly clipping to things, but not the best for keeping a light on a keyring. If they twist the right way, it's pretty easy to put pressure on the gate and open it up. I've never had a problem with clipping them to something flexible, like paracord.

I've got my JetBeam C-LE on my keyring with a size 5 split ring, and a McGizmo clip hanging off of that. If I want to detach it from my keyring, I run it quickly through the keyring split ring and then have the clip to quickly attach it to a necklace or whatever.

I ordered some titanium quicklinks from CountyComm that I'm going to try out and see if they allow me quicker access to my light.

Flashaholic

I've never had an issue with the larger sizes (>25mm). The smaller ones, yes.
    Cribbage
    ---------------------------------
    "More light! Give me more light!"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Flashaholic*

Hmmm, I think mine are the 25mm size and I use them for my Photon and my SAK. I've never had any problems with them coming apart or opening accidentally and just sitting here playing with them, I don't see how it could happen.

I'll post a pic of my keychain when I get home. Maybe its because I don't use a split ring (its a a locking cable) and my keychain doesn't have a whole bunch of stuff on it.

I'll definitely take any of these that you guys don't want. I've been meaning to place another order...

I use the 35MM ones that rotate on one end. I've had them detach twice within the last 8-9 months. I've never lost a light but I have ended up just holding my lanyard when I thought I would be holding my light. Now that I've read this thread I'm thinking of connecting my lanyards directly to my lights. I never really disconnet them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead
    I noticed the same issue right away, so I just squeeze the opening in the tips of all sizes with needle nose pliers (creating a hook if you will) so it wont easily come off. Haven't had a problem yet......knock wood.
    Pic added...

Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Pic added...

Gonna have to try that.

I've seen a pic where someone used two of them, facing each other. Much more hassle to remove but would be very unlikely to come undone.

Another option might be to use 2 split rings on your keychain and feed them both into the clip.
    Last edited by 9volt; 03-12-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurveleven
    I have been using one of these McGizmo clips
    There should be a number stamped on the side of the clip to indicate it's size, what number is yours? I don't trust the 0s but the 1s seem ok.

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Quote Originally Posted by dammitjim
    I've seen a pic where someone used two of them, facing each other. Much more hassle to remove but would be very unlikely to come undone.
    The same technique is used in certain situations in rock climbing with carabiners. I've thought about doing it with my Draco as well, as it's fallen off the clip once when it was around my neck.

This is the exact reason why I want two Draco's - one for my keychain, and one for my neck, so I wouldn't have to switch between the two, thus eliminating the clip altogether!

Beamhead - nice idea! However I wonder, since it keeps more pressure on the spring that if it were not bent, wouldn' the spring wear out quicker?

john

Super Moderator

These clips are #3 size (~1.2” long). They make things easy to attach/detach from the main keyring. I unclip whatever I need to use from the main keyring, leaving the other items still attached, in my pocket. The cord goes to my belt.
    Resistance is futile...

Here's a thread discussing the same topic over on EDCF:
    http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=6026.0

It was suggested that lateral shearing forces were bending the clip out of shape and causing them to open. I disagree:

I agree that using a swivel might help, but it's not lateral shearing forces that opens the clip's gate:

I was playing with some of my McGizmo clips to see if I could replicate this. From my testing, I can say it's not the shearing force deforming the gate until the clip opens. What I'm seeing is the split rings attached to the clips get twisted onto the gate as you rotate the clip (or the attached object). If you continue the rotation, the edge of the split ring will push the gate open, which will release the object from where it's attached.

I have the motion down to where I can detach my wife's SAK from her keychain with a swift rotating movement. I can totally see how this could accidentally happen in somebody's pocket, or under normal use. The solution? Use a smaller slit ring (one that fits onto the clip, but does not touch the gate when twisting.

Another reason I don't like to add swivels is that they add to the total length of the attachment, and I like to keep things compact.

Nice idea, will try it out when my hand gets good enough to use pliers (slipped and hurt my hand when hiking yesterday, I also managed to cut myself on a knife on the other hand, yesterday was obviously not a good day for me. Sorry for the digression).

Sigbjoern

There should be a number stamped on the side of the clip to indicate it's size, what number is yours? I don't trust the 0s but the 1s seem ok.
    It's a 2, i.e. 25 mm.
    Using the rotating movement Greenled quotes from EDCforum, I find it most easy to get the 35mm clips to detach unintenionally when using a standard size keychain split ring, the 20 mm clips was harder to get to detach than the 25 and 35 mm ones. It is really scary how easy it is to detach them using the rotating movement.

Sigbjoern

I tried this and using the rotating movement it is easy to get them to detach.

Sigbjoern

Super Moderator

I've just tried this twisting trick with my set-up (as in post #25 above). It is possible, and once I got the knack it wasn't too difficult. However, I don't think it is very likely to happen by accident as the movement has to be exactly right each time to do it. I think this is because the stainless steel split ring I am using is quite thick and it has to be positioned and twisted in a very precise way, which is unlikely to happen randomly in my pocket.
    Resistance is futile...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast