Trustfire        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning against McGizmo clips

Default Re: Warning against McGizmo clips

Quote Originally Posted by DM51
    I've just tried this twisting trick with my set-up (as in post #25 above). It is possible, and once I got the knack it wasn't too difficult. However, I don't think it is very likely to happen by accident as the movement has to be exactly right each time to do it. I think this is because the stainless steel split ring I am using is quite thick and it has to be positioned and twisted in a very precise way, which is unlikely to happen randomly in my pocket.
    I just went back to hanging my C-LE from a nano clip (size 1) on my keychain.

The twisting motion worked very easily on the mini clip and the micro clip (size 2), but with a nice small split ring (so it wasn't big enough to touch the gate) I couldn't get the nano to release under reasonable pressure. I say "reasonable" because I'm sure if I had some pliers and was really twisting it, I could break something and it would come loose. But just holding it in my fingers and pressing more than was comfortable, it wouldn't come off. There won't be more pressure or leverage than that when it's on my keychain.

Rolleye11 Re: Warning against McGizmo clips

I just recently lost both Leatherman Micra and Photon Freedom light: they was attached to my keyring via #3 clip (35mm).

Since that switched to regular split rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurveleven
    I tried this and using the rotating movement it is easy to get them to detach.

Sigbjoern
    I just tried it and you're right.

What about having a clip on the ring and on the light. Then attach the lights clip to the ring and the rings clip to the split ring on the light? I may try that tonight.

So I tried the twisting thing with a smallish split ring on a size 1 clip and it popped right off:

But using a very small ring that is not much larger than the diameter of the fat part of the clip (the Leatherman ring attachment happened to be that size) it is impossible for the ring to get over the hinge part of the clip and allow a twisting action to force it open.

I'm switching to very small split rings.

Quote Originally Posted by dammitjim
    But using a very small ring that is not much larger than the diameter of the fat part of the clip (the Leatherman ring attachment happened to be that size) it is impossible for the ring to get over the hinge part of the clip and allow a twisting action to force it open.
    Yup, that was my solution, as mentioned before. I'm glad others found that useful.

Yep; the times I had problems I was hanging a little Arc AAA on its little ring, with the hook through a belt loop. Sit, stand, turn sround, any torsion on the light, along with taking the load off the clip, and it'd let go.

I'm going to hunt up some more springy wire, titanium, if I can find some, to replace the little clips' spring wires and see if that fixes it. Maybe slightly bigger diameter too so it binds a bit more in the holes.

No end of fiddling.

i think these clips are the best! the micro is the perfect size, and i have 3 of them on my minimalist keyring setup. i've never had anything come undone.
    liQht

Flashaholic*

Here's my keychain:

I think the thing that is doing you guys in is the split rings. As you can see, I don't use one for my main loop. I really need to get a clip for that usb drive...

The success or failure of these type clips depends on what they are attached to. As has been mentioned, very small radiused loop can be effective as well as a large radiused loop. What is at end of a loop or attachment bail will also effect the trustworthyness of the system. You can articulate the components of the system and get a feel for its integrety and not just hope things will be OK. There is no magic at play here. If the clip can come in contact with something that will collapse the gate when it is also in a position to unhook, you have a potential problem.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

So, when are you making a tiny locking Titanium clip?

-Ed
    Small: MJP Extreme III Orb Raw Ti and NS
    Medium: Oveready Triple Copper E2e
    MJP-E3e (15-3Ostar) Surefire L4 (MC-E) LensLight Mini
    Large: Surefire M6-WA1185 M-Zep MZXR-7a

Flashaholic

I have several of these and find them to be excellent quality....

HOWEVER, they should never be used to hook onto a split ring, especially the smaller ones, as they will detach very easily, with sufficient movement and twisting action.

The ring it is attached to must be of substantial dimensions and there should be as little movement allowed as possible for this to be reliable.

The other option is to use a swivel clip, which Lighthound also stock. These are also very good quality and the one I have has a VERY strong gate spring.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1520
    Wolf Eyes Raider 9DX / Surefire L2 / Novatac 85P / HDS 42XR / Peak LED Caribbean brass / Fenix L2D Rebel / Peak LED Matterhorn 3LED HA / Inova X03 / Inova X5 / Fenix E1

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalohump
    ...they should never be used to hook onto a split ring, especially the smaller ones, as they will detach very easily, with sufficient movement and twisting action.

The other option is to use a swivel clip, which Lighthound also stock. These are also very good quality and the one I have has a VERY strong gate spring.
    It depends on the size of the split ring they're hooked on to. As I said before, I hooked a nano clip onto a split ring, and was unable to get it to release. The next day, I got a titanium screw-link which has a smaller diameter than the split ring. It popped rignt off.

So I'm back to hanging my C-LE from the split ring that attaches the clip to the light!

I also have some Lighthound clips, and the gate IS very strong. My problem with them is that they're chrome over low-grade metal, not solid stainless steel like the "McGizmo" clips are. Still, they're very useful in areas where corrosion might not be a factor.

I learned the Hard Way. Lost my favorite cigar punch. It's somewhere out there

I've been able to twist off all of the rings that i have through the gate of these clips like Houdini. I suggest each person try and then decide for themselves. I lost my cigar punch which was clipped to my main ring when i was in a rush. Usually happens that way and you don't see it until later.

On another note my wife lost a car remote whose split-ring came off the main ring. So anything can happen.

SF2
    Last edited by starfiretoo; 03-14-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwood
    So, when are you making a tiny locking Titanium clip?

-Ed
    How about a SS clip similar to what's out there, but with a small embedded swivel?

A good swivel is great in many applications but not trivial or inexpensive in manufacture. With the tiny clips, the swivel can often make it much more difficult to get a good hold on the clip for cliping and un cliping.

I have been after a Ti version of a clip like the 35 mm or 25 mm clip for years but haven't found a vendor yet. I did get some samples of the clips done with TiCN plating and these were nice but the plating was as expensive as the clip and since these clips are 316 stainless with good corrosion resistance, the plating was effectively a cosmetic feature and not worth it, IMHO.

The major weenie told me he found a source for a small Ti clip but I don't think he ever acted on it.

When I was with Suncor, they had a vendor in the Ukraine who provided many with Ti hardward (marine related) and they had a version of the tiny Wichard snap shackle they had done in Ti. I bought a good number of them and rotate them among items and tethers on stuff I simply can't afford to have release from their connection. The snap shackle is not cheap and it is not quick but it is significantly more secure!

With good geometry in your system, these little clips and carabiners will never let you down in use but with the wrong geometry, you can cont on the clips capsizing and you don't even to depress the gate directly yourself when you learn the puzzle and how to accomplish the capsize. I have had static hanging systems where I intentionally used the attachment point to capsize the gate and I could rotate the clip and capsize the gate easier than depressing it with my digits.

The best phillips screwdriver in the world will not work on a slot screw. These clips serve a function but you need to understand their nature.
    Last edited by McGizmo; 03-14-2007 at 01:07 PM.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I agree with Don. The more you understand your equipment's limitations the better you can use it. These clips are so tiny that i remove them by twisting off vice trying to get my finger to push on the spring. For a more "permanent" connection i prefer clipping these to THICK rings that barely fit through the gate. I can't twist these off and have to use the harder method of depressing the spring with my finger.
    SF2

Reviving an old thread... Who is the manufacturer of these clips and how can I contact him? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vatra View Post
    Reviving an old thread... Who is the manufacturer of these clips and how can I contact him? Thanks!
    I've gotten them from Berkeley Point in the past https://berkeleypoint.com/products/h...ndex_clip.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vatra View Post

I have these clips made for me from a factory offshsore. I import them and sell them wholesale.

I love your clips and use them on all my car keys without issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12