• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Warning against McGizmo clips

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using one of these McGizmo clips to attach my TiCN Draco to my keychain so it is easily detachable, what I discovered yesterday was that it was a little bit too easily detachable since it detached on its own. When I got home and was locking the door I was shocked to see that my Draco was no longer there :mecry:
I backtracked my steps through the day were I had used my keys, and when I drove back to were I had parked my car earlier I found the Draco lying in the middle of the road not far from were my car had been parked :sweat: It was still in perfect shape (so I doubt any cars have driven over it) and still attached to the clip. The clip must have opened when I took the keys out of my pocket. When getting home I did some testing and these clips comes off easily if subjected to pressure in the wrong place. So I will warn you against using these clips on your keychain, at least for high dollar items you are afraid of losing.

Sigbjoern

DM51

Flashaholic
Which size clip was it? There are 4 sizes. The largest size is very robust and ideal for a keychain, although too big for a Draco. The next one down is pretty good too. The 3rd one seems OK but is quite fiddly, but I agree I wouldn't trust the smallest one -- it is only a half-inch long, the spring is very weak and it could easily open by accident.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would guess maybe 3 or 4 years ago there were a number of threads discussing and detailing the issue and cautions of any type of clip that does not have a locking mechanisim. These clips and carabiners can capsize rather easily in the right (wrong) conditions. It is often a case of geometry and even a right and wrong way to clip the clip to the devise intended. Too tired to dredge it up now.

I am glad you didn't loose your light!!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
Which size clip was it?

It was the 25 mm, but I wouldn't trust the other sizes either, and as McGizmo said, this can happen to any clip/carabiner without a locking mechanism.

Sigbjoern

arty

Enlightened
I used the smallest size for awhile to attach my ARC AAA to my car key. It wound up separating the light from the kety in my pocket too many times, so I stopped using it.

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
good thing you found your light. sad to see a great light been lost again.

cy

Flashaholic
had a similar thing happen with surefire clip and have never trusted these type clips.

instead use a direct connection to lanyard for M6

paulr

Flashaholic
I've been using the 25mm on a rather thick split ring (1.5" diameter). Never had it separate unintentionally and I think it would be difficult for it to do so.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the same issue right away, so I just squeeze the opening in the tips of all sizes with needle nose pliers (creating a hook if you will) so it wont easily come off. Haven't had a problem yet......knock wood.

LouRoy

Enlightened
I, too, have been using the smallest size for a Squirt P4 and an Arc AAA on my keychain. They have both come unclipped several times. I think I will just go back to a direct connection, although I like being able to quickly disconnect the light or the tool from the keychain.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all four sizes and use them all, but for different things!

From experience, I confirm the very smallest one is far too weak to rely on for anything heavier than my disposable earplugs-on-a-string. Very handy for those, clipped through a buttonhole.

The spring wire on the small ones is too thin or weak, or the holes aren't offset enough, or both.

I assume it's stainless not titanium wire? Any ideas for aftermarket replacement spring material, anyone?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the same clip for several months to carrry my Draco on a neck chain. I have never had it come loose. I think these get unclipped when the light twists around the clip so that it is pulling on the gate and not the immovable part of the clip. For my keychain carry, I don't use these clips. Instead I use a keychain like this.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I'll add to the chorus of "don't depend on these". They're great for quickly clipping to things, but not the best for keeping a light on a keyring. If they twist the right way, it's pretty easy to put pressure on the gate and open it up. I've never had a problem with clipping them to something flexible, like paracord.

I've got my JetBeam C-LE on my keyring with a size 5 split ring, and a McGizmo clip hanging off of that. If I want to detach it from my keyring, I run it quickly through the keyring split ring and then have the clip to quickly attach it to a necklace or whatever.

I ordered some titanium quicklinks from CountyComm that I'm going to try out and see if they allow me quicker access to my light.

:candle:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I think mine are the 25mm size and I use them for my Photon and my SAK. I've never had any problems with them coming apart or opening accidentally and just sitting here playing with them, I don't see how it could happen. :shrug:

I'll post a pic of my keychain when I get home. Maybe its because I don't use a split ring (its a a locking cable) and my keychain doesn't have a whole bunch of stuff on it.

I'll definitely take any of these that you guys don't want. I've been meaning to place another order...

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I use the 35MM ones that rotate on one end. I've had them detach twice within the last 8-9 months. I've never lost a light but I have ended up just holding my lanyard when I thought I would be holding my light.:huh2: Now that I've read this thread I'm thinking of connecting my lanyards directly to my lights. I never really disconnet them anyway.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead said:
I noticed the same issue right away, so I just squeeze the opening in the tips of all sizes with needle nose pliers (creating a hook if you will) so it wont easily come off. Haven't had a problem yet......knock wood.

Pic added...

img0935cq5.jpg