A 500 Lumen Single Cree LED flashlight?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's beyond Cree's own specifications, so it can't be true.
Expect around 240 'bulb' lumens at 1A for the P4 bins, and less out of the front end. Even if you pushed the Cree to 2A (which is probably magic smoke territory), the output would never be double.

noorudeenshakur

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I didnt think there was a way to get that kind of lumens without using multiple Cree's.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to raise the flag on that claim.

bsflagvq9.gif

Well, it's E-bay so no surprise there.

IdiotsAbound

Newly Enlightened
noorudeenshakur said:
A 500 Lumen single cree led flashlight?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/500-Lumen-CREE-LED-FLASHLIGHT-TORCH-2-Set-BATT-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ200088545919QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this BS? He lists no specs at all which kinda makes me leary however it does seem to have a very high power source so Im sure it puts out quite a bit of light.

Is it worth ordering? I saw it and am tempted....after all the price is pretty fair for whats included.

What do you guys think?

It smells fishy to me

I bought a couple MXDL flashlights off them before I discovered Deal Extreme and Kai Domain. I had to leave negative feedback and file a Paypal dispute. They never answer emails, ship them in poor packaging, and one of the lights didn't work.

Avoid them.

creampuff

Newly Enlightened
I believe the general Ebay rule, is take their negative feedback, and multiply by 10. So since their neg. is 1.8% (100-98.2) x 10 = 18%.

Too high for my blood..I would avoid them.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like direct drive with absolutely no regulation. I'd be surprised if there's anything but a resistor in there to limit current.
If it's direct drive and it puts out 85 torch lumens on an 18650, the lamp would probably cook itself on 2 CR123s. (Kai's lumens ratings tend to be on the low/conservative side compared to most vendors, so they are probably fairly trustworthy)

It could be some sort of buck circuit -- those fall out of regulation and just direct drive when run on a single 3.7V cell, but would step down the voltage from 2CR123s and provide steady peak output with CR123s but with shorter battery life. If you look at the flashlight revew for the Lumapower M1 and compare the graphs for the CR123 to the 18650 you'll see what I mean.

Well, Ebay, isn't a exactly scientific institution crowded with honest people. You pay less but you get less (or none).
They want almost three times what Kai is asking, I wouldn't call that paying less... :ohgeez:

Last edited: