Permanent Removal of Surefire Clip?

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Anybody figured out how to permanently remove the pocket clip from a Surefire light?

If you look at it, the clip, and the plastic thingy, support the o-ring, so you would need something to take up that space and fit in there where the clip was.

I HATE pocket clips (take them off all my knives, too), and would love to figure out a way to remove them from Surefires, but retain the integrety of the o-ring.

Any ideas?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
removing the surefire pocket clip just removes the lights waterproof condition. if your not going scuba diving you'll be good to go. the other option is to take a cutoff wheel and cut all but the portion that backs up the Oring off and smooth the cut edge.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I removed the clip from my L2 and left the plastic widget in place. That way if you decide to re-install the clip you won't lose the spacer.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
or you could just buy a surefire E1 or E2 then buy a surefire E2E or E1E thenstick the bezel off them onto the E1 or E2. did you lose me?:laughing:

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
I took the clip off my E2e a long time ago, and lost the parts. Are you telling me I compromised my waterproofness?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Daravon said:
I took the clip off my E2e a long time ago, and lost the parts. Are you telling me I compromised my waterproofness?
Pretty much you summed it up correctly—I think. . . :thinking: At least when I removed the clip and did not install the wedge to "hold" the O-Ring in place, it "worms" it way out. :huh:

Like what benchmade_boy suggested above. You can purchase another body in place of your existing one. Maybe Lighthound may have spare flashlight body parts that may fit the bill.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Last edited:

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Ok-I`m curious here. Why would removing the clip compromise waterproofness?

I haven`t tried to remove the clip on my C2, yet I can`t see why it would hurt waterproofness. I mean the rubber O-ring is located further to the head, and I don`t think that sliding out the clip, would hurt the O-ring. Or does it?
What am I missing?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
a bit out of topic, but if anyone decided that he/she wont be using the clip anymore, please PM me. I need the plastic widget for mine.

BBL

Enlightened
akuba, the c-series lights are not affected, for sure.

problematic are the e-series lights, where the o-ring is partially held in place by the pocket clip

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the e series, shouldn't the oring seals between the head and body with regards to the clip is or isn't there? Only compromise would be if the oring has worn off and has bigger diameter...I reckon.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
Perhaps you could fill in the spot where the clip was with epoxy and find a way to have it set up flush to where the bezel would be.
Put some petrol-jel on the bottom of the bezel to keep the epoxy from sticking ,screw on the bezel and put some of that gas tank repair putty in the clip slot.I have used that stuff to make sammies before and the dark grey color would go ok with the SF color scheme...
just an idea.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
If the clip or the plasic peice that goes under are gone, the o ring can squeeze out through the gap and reduce water-tightness.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Led-Ed said:
Perhaps you could fill in the spot where the clip was with epoxy and find a way to have it set up flush to where the bezel would be.
Put some petrol-jel on the bottom of the bezel to keep the epoxy from sticking ,screw on the bezel and put some of that gas tank repair putty in the clip slot.I have used that stuff to make sammies before and the dark grey color would go ok with the SF color scheme...
just an idea.
Perhaps use clear epoxy and put in a tritium vial while your at it :)

Jan

JJH

Newly Enlightened
On an A2 can the clip safely be slid out without messing with waterproofness?
Thanks

Latest posts