How Uncommon is the Surefire L1 in Black?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone has any idea hw many of the L1 lights Surefire made in black?

Is the black finish HA (i.e., type III)?

Pic w/ Oregonshooter tail ring:

1070077913_63ae6e6671_o.jpg

Last edited:

zx7dave

Enlightened
Very rare assuming it came from SureFire and was not pieced together using a E1 body. I have never seen one for sale new, or used for a long time. If you have one don't sell it.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also the L1 HA-BK-RD, which has a red luxeon, and is much rarer than the white LED version.

I have one of each, and they're both keepers for sure.

ja10

Enlightened
Wow - I've never heard of the L1 in black. Does anyone have any pictures?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The Black L1 was a first generation L1 with a Luxeon I and a NX-05 optic.

I have 2 black L1s, but they were modified by Mc Gizmo.
They are now 2x123 with PR-T heads. One is a Luxeon III (TWOJ I think) driven at 917ma and the other has a X bin luxeon V driven at 750ma.

For the members that don't know, "PR" stands Pelican Reflector and I think the "T" stands for Trim, because the first PR heads were larger and a later version was trimmed down a little. I also read the "T" stood for Turbo, but Trim seems more appropriate.

McGizmo no longer makes these, but I think he made about 50 of these in the normal hard anodized green color with a Luxeon III.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye said:
$80 on eBay??? I was thinking about that one, but I already have a L1-BK-WH.

The same. It had a BIN of $90 earlier in the day. I've been looking for an earlier/non-TIR L1 in red, so when I saw it at $80 I bit. It is here and looks sharp. I'll try to post pics tonight.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
JNEWELL: Congratulations on your pick up! I also saw it on ebay but passed for some reason. Glad it found a good home...Yes, please post some pics!!

Regards:
Bob

ja10

Enlightened
Wow -- that looks really sharp. So with these odd color Surefires, do people just get lucky and find one in the store? I've only been around here about a year or so, so I have no idea how people get their hands on these (other than BST here of course)

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster said:
There's also the L1 HA-BK-RD, which has a red luxeon, and is much rarer than the white LED version.

I have one of each, and they're both keepers for sure.

Interestingly, the beam on the RD is much tighter than the white, even though both are what I think of as Gen 1 (according to the L1 Evolution thread, the RD is Gen 1 and the WH is Gen 3, but both are pre-TIR).

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing those great pictures. I think Black Hard Anodized Flashlights always look sharp.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
JNewell said:
Interestingly, the beam on the RD is much tighter than the white, even though both are what I think of as Gen 1 (according to the L1 Evolution thread, the RD is Gen 1 and the WH is Gen 3, but both are pre-TIR).

This is because the red luxeon is a different beast to it's white counterpart. The die shape is totally different to the white luxeons' flat, square die.

And congrats on your purchase, you snagged a real bargain there. I paid over double for mine.