E2D with cree?

ultimase

Newly Enlightened
Bare with me I've tried to run a search to see if anyone has done this but haven't come up with anything. If anyone knows of a post please direct me in that direction, thanks.

Currently edcing a L4 with a 17670, but thinking about building an e2d with a cree drop in module. It would seem that the cree drop in's can be simply dropped in, in place of the standard surefire lamps. I'm curious if the standard e2d tube fits the 17670 as well?

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE

ultimase

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to apoligize here, I misread the labels on the drop in modules. It looks like thus far there are not any drop in's for the e series.

UltimaSE

LiteFan

Enlightened
ultimase said:
I'll have to apoligize here, I misread the labels on the drop in modules. It looks like thus far there are not any drop in's for the e series.

UltimaSE

We can always hope, it really baffels me why a dropin has not been built:rant:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design of the E-series reflector prevents a drop-in. The base of the reflector is not flat and with the stock bulb, the bulb it raised into the reflector. The opening of the reflector base is smaller than an LED (Lux, SSC P4, or Cree XR-E), so an LED won't go in, and even if the diameter were large enough, the LED would sit way too low as mentioned the stock bulb is raised into the reflector.

To convert it to an LED, you need to either replace the reflector as many do (but I have no idea how to remove the reflector) or bore out the opening quite a bit. And it seems the ECan can be used in conjunction with the ESink to hold the LED and a driver, at least I think. The pics at SS are pretty small and blurry and I don't know how the ECan and ESink fit together or much about them at all. When I tried emailing and posting questions, I didn't get any answers.

I want to convert my E-series head to LED also. I'm still worried about boring out the reflector opening, especially considering how sensitive the reflector coating is. I'm also thinking about making my own LED module...nothing with custom machined aluminum or anything, no machining equipment here, just an emitter mounted on an emitter board and a driver. Just worried about boring the reflector. I don't have a drill press...and I'm sure I'll damage it if I use my dremel. Maybe if I use the dremel bit by hand, but I'm not sure how long that would take.