Help Modding a mag 2AA with LED

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hey Everyone,

Well, my girlfriend is always picking on me about the lights, so I figure, what better to get her for her birthday than a light :grin2: . She loves pink, so I'd like to mod a hot pink minimag 2AA for her. I can't spend an huge amount (though you probably can't put too much $$ into a minimag I guess), because if the only thing she gets for her birthday is a flashlight, I'm in trouble. But I would like her to have a powerful, long-running light to keep with her in the car. It's got to be able to run on AA's, becasue I don't think she'll buy anything else (though rechargeables would probably be ok).

I know there are tons of drop-ins out there, but if I can achieve more light per cost by doing it myself, I'd like to (besides, it'll be one of a kind :laughing: ). My soldering skills are so-so, but I can do simple things. Any ideas? Maybe some cree/seoul stuff? I don't know enough about LEDs to have any idea, so fire away! Thanks!!!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tomcat,
Lat week i mod my Terralux TLE-5 with a soul emitter and replace the stock tailcap with a terralux tailcap and the result was priceless and brighter.
You may go to www.ledreplacement.com and look for a combination of terralux led and the switch tailcap.
Your girlfriend will be more than happy.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats exactly what im selling :) more than enough light to change the spare tire :laughing:

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks nanotech17! I tried the website, but it's just a collection of ads, and other sites. Is the tailcap necessary? Will it still focus, etc?

Hey qip: yup, I checked out your sale thread and was mighty tempted to buy it for myself. But I think she would like pink, and I'd like to try it modding it for her. Cool light though--if I hadn't just purchased more WE the other day, I might get it for myself--I'll keep an eye on it :grin2: .

Thanks for your help...keep the suggestions coming--appreciate it!!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a thread by qip where he mounted the SSC P4 on both driver and it seems that the TLE-5K2 with SSC P4 emitter is brighter and the improvement is huge.You won't be dissappointed:D

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
another thing,if u want a real tense hotspot u might want to try the Edison Opto emitter but that emitter produced yellow corona around the white hotspot but so far i have no complained when i mod my Vinet from dealextreme with it running on rcr123 3.7v and it was very2 good results.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 5k2 w/seoul does not dissapoint & especially now that i have it heatsinked with washers its the brightest 2aa light ever seen but then again i havent got any other 2aa high power lights to compare until this week when i get the L1dce and test it with 2 aa to see if the minimag or fenix is brighter

tomcat017

Enlightened
Nice qip. You have to let us know how it compares once you get your L1D-CE. Did you have any issues focusing the Seoul once you switched it out, or is it pretty straightforward?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you dont wanna spend the $50 for l1dce or f1 the soon 4sale from terralux miniextreme for half the price is certainly good to get and on par with the l1dce & f1 ...as for seoul modding focusing its pretty straight forward no issues just make sure you center before thermal compound sets

here ya go http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1916091#post1916091

Last edited: