need email help for my wife

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I get into this I want to assure everyone that this is a legitimate question and does not involve any spam, virus, or other improper behavior on our part.

We had comcast cable internet at home, then they were bought by timewarner/roardunner and now my wife is having a problem.

At work she has Verizon DSL, but she wants to access her roadrunner email from work, using OutlookExpress. When our home ISP was Comcast she could do this. She just set up another account in OutlookExpress and put in the right POP3 server names and account information. With Roadrunner this isn't working and they're pretty much told us that they don't allow this because they are afraid of spam and viruses from other networks.

First, I've noticed that I get email messages all the time with various "from" addresses, so is there a way she can send email out through her verizon ISP but have it show up as being sent from her roadrunner address?

Second, is there a way to configure OutlookExpress to use one account name and password for incoming mail and another account name and password for outgoing mail? In other words we want to change her account in outlookexpress to have the roadrunner server for incoming, and the verizon server for outgoing.

In case anyone is thinking this, roadrunner does have a webmail access, but it is so incredibly slow as to be virtually impossible to use during the day. I'm talking 15 to 30 seconds to display a single email message, if it displays it at all. My wife is not patient and she would throw the computer out the window if she had to rely on the slow webmail. I've been trying to help her configure this and I know a little bit about email but not nearly enough.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Outlook Express has the capability to show any email address as the sending/from address.

-Open OE
-click on Tools and select Accounts
-highlight the account you want to modify
-select Properties
-change "Reply address" and "E-mail address" to be what you want shown on any outgoing emails (doesn't matter what account you send from or what its real email address is)

To those that worry that this is fraudulent, here is a widely available legitimate use. Many university alumni organizations and industry professional organizations have "follow me" mail forwarding services. Basically you give out an email address like [email protected]. All email to that address is scanned for viruses/spam and then sent to your current email address. This way you can change email providers and real email addresses without having to notify everyone you have given your address to. To make your replies look like they came from the university address, you have to set up OE as described above.

It might be that Time Warner truly does not allow email access from other domains. I did run into something similar when trying to access my home email account from my wireless phone. I will try to recall the exact situation and repost.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
O.T. but I too am a victim of TW RR's aquisition of some of Comcast's assets, and in two weeks, all the photos I've linked into these halls over the last 4.4 years become little red X's. :(

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*
tvodrd said:
O.T. but I too am a victim of TW RR's aquisition of some of Comcast's assets, and in two weeks, all the photos I've linked into these halls over the last 4.4 years become little red X's. :(

Larry
what if ya had pics of litle red x?

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC from having warner they did not allow outgoing access from outside their network, but any e-mail program you can configure separate incoming and outgoing servers and usually you can configure anything for the reply address though some ISP's check that as well.
Also get her as far away from OE as possible, use any program butm OE is the most insecure program there is and responsible for a major portion of the span on the internet as people get infected with script virus that send spam out and they are simple enough to get missed by a lot of AV programs.

Something else to think about too. You will eventually need to leave TW as their customer service began to drop to AOL levels shortly after their merger. Consider signing up your own domain and paying a few $ a year for dedicated e-mail, then you can tell everyone your new address at your own domain once and then you can hop ISP's as needed without needing to change addresses every time.

Last edited:

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Like Eugene had described, I did find that to access my personal email from my wireless Treo I had to configure the incoming mail server to my personal email account server. I had to configure the outgoing email server to be the wireless carrier's email server. They wouldn't allow it any other way (to prevent spam). The program the Treo used was Versamail and specifically allowed for the different server settings.