River Rock 2c Aspherical SSC P4 mod?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've often wondered the same. I've got a RR 2C that my son uses, and often wondered if it could be an inexensive host for a Seoul or Cree. Anyone know the drive level on this light?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RR 2C draws 500mA from the two cells which is ~ 1.2 watts for the circuit to work with. At best 0.8 - 1.0 watts and probably less would be available to power the LED. Still, a Seoul or Cree might make this into a more useful light as it lacks sufficient brightness as is.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I have the light apart. I guess my question is, does anybody know if this lens in the 2C will work with the SSC?
Mike

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 AA variety lens does work with SSC, given that the various models have roughly the same beam characteristics it should work on the 2 C model also. SSC gives the same ~ output as Cree. I disagree about the brightness. In the 2 AA the gain in throw is about ten times, from 450 Lux to 4700 Lux. The forward voltage of the Nichia Jupiter is 3.8 Volt and it's recommended drive current ~350 mA and up to maximum 500 mA. It's very suitable to mod with Cree or SSC. Remember that whaterver led you put in this it's always going to be all throw.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
vetkaw63 said:
I have the light apart. I guess my question is, does anybody know if this lens in the 2C will work with the SSC?
Mike
Take pictures and post 'em here! How'd you get the bezel apart- heat?

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Yes, heat and strap wrenches. It was still hard though. The strap wrenches were what they had at work. Too little to do the job correctly. They twisted and gouged my light.Lowes has a pair of Kobalt, life time warranty for 15.00 . I will get those so that I am prepared.
Mike

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I put the SSC in my light tonight. It was not worth the time. Huge donut rings. A Crees emissive pattern may work better. I will try that when I get another. It is not as bright, or throw as far, as a Dorcy cr123 super 1 watt with a Cree P4, using a Cree optic. I really like the Cree optics!!!!!
Mike

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I put 3 sub c cell nimh's in the light tonight. 3.6 volts is what this light needed! Now this is more like it should be. Throws about a hundred yards. Quite bright out to about 50 yards. It should have a respectable run time with nimhs.
Mike