Surefire L7 thoughts

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Surefire dealer has a few L7's in stock, and I was thinking about picking one up. I did a search but did not find too much info on the L7, is it really that rare?

I just got rid of an L5 to a friend that really wanted it, and I was very happy with the performance from it. I figure the L7 will be very close...but looking at pictures, it appears to have a slightly deeper reflector more like the L6?

Should I try out the L7? They also have more L5's, a Kroma, a couple M3-CB's, and a bunch of E-series of course. What do you guys think?

zx7dave

Enlightened
The biggest differences are if you want a smooth body or if you want the Combat Grip or the normal shank (like the M4 or 9P). The other difference is the L7 is rechargeable from the factory. That can be a good or bad thing depending on the uses for the flashlight. Sometimes it is nice to take a handful of CR123's and head into the woods for a few weeks. On the otherhand most security and police love rechargeables. Both lights come with the KL6 head which is 5 watts Luxeon IV 100 lumens.
There may be something newer froming out from SureFire soon. Possibly a Cree powered version, but you would have to wait and see like the rest of us.
If you went with the L6 then you can use CR123's or you can use two 17500 rechargeables from Lighthound, so that way you have a choice.
My thoughts on the rest of your choices (and this is only my opinion)
L5 - Might as well get a L6 unless size is a issue
Kroma - Over priced and why would you need all those options, and it is the most fragile of all the SureFires
M3-CB - A great light, but not LED if that is important to you. But you can run a KL6 head on it which would make it a home made L6.
E Series -
E2D is good, but needs to be updated with a black KL4 which is hard to find as they only come on weapon lights.
L4 is one of the best light output for the size and price.
E1 or L1 nice small pocket light and can run a KL4 when you use a 3.7v rechargeable.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the wonderful reply. I guess I am looking for an LED, as I already have enough incans for now.

iced_theater

Enlightened
I like my L7, using the stock battery the light will go for awhile at near full brightness, but with my new battery pack from Silverfox it seems to last forever.

I owned an L6 but it's been awhile so I don't remember how it compared to the L7. It has pretty good throw considering it's a Luxeon V LED.

zx7dave

Enlightened
Hmmm I mis-spoke the KL5 and KL6 are indeed Luxeon V's. My mistake...I thought they were luxeon IV's.

zx7dave

Enlightened
I know I read the on the internet some of the KL series were Luxeon IV's. Not sure where I got that info. oh well.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
zx7dave said:
I know I read the on the internet some of the KL series were Luxeon IV's. Not sure where I got that info. oh well.

Time to change your signature :grin2:

Back on topic, what is the voltage of the battery-pack in the L7? I know the KL5 head that was on my L5 performed really well at higher voltages(2x3.7V li-ion's).

Paladin

Enlightened
When I asked my favorite flashlitecrack dealer about the L7, he mainly pointed out it's tailcap is momentary only, and you must twist the bezel for constant on. He felt that was not as intuitive as the normal Surefire "press for momentary, press harder and click constant on" switch operation.

Paladin

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
iced_theater said:
3.6V I think it uses three Sub-C cells.

If this is the case, its the same size and voltage the electric rc uses. These batteries comes in around 4200mAh nowadays.....get one of those six pack, split it and you get 2 sets..............imagine the runtime!:)

Last edited:

iced_theater

Enlightened
I already have one of Silverfox's NIMH GP3700 packs. From his testing, that was the biggest that would fit in every light the B90 works in. It works great too, unbelievably long runtime on it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The diameter of the L7 head is the same as the KL5, 1.47 vs 1.62 for KL6. The L7 would have a boost circuit, the same as the KL5, but maybe not the same boost circuit, though not sure. Do a search for SilverFox. He is offering high capacity NiMh batteries that will work with the L7.

Bill