How to open a Gladius Head?

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
Luminous said:
Does anybody knows how to open a Gladius to change the Led?

I just looked at mine. It dosent look like removing the head without damaging the flashlight will be all that easy. I cant even tell if thats a seam there, the light is so well put together.
Maybe the Led Assembly is installed fom the rear of the light, up through the battery tube.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezel unscrews, but it's cemented closed. I have one Gladius that I could unscrew the head without tools, etc. My other Gladius is too tight for that.

Try at your own risk------> Some wrap inner tubes or otehr material around a pair of Vice Grips, then place the body in a vise, adn unscrew the bezel. Heating it up may help also.

If you do get it unscrewed, watch out for a few small parts that will fall out (i.e. that goofy little ball bearing)

--dan

Illum

Flashaholic
mmm...a ball bearing in an cemented unscrewable bezel....
bearings helps the threads during screwing...but why cement
if cement....why have bearings...

How ironic :thinking:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bearing is there in ensure electrical contact.

My Gladius (1st gen ceramic) won't budge, at all. No chance I will ever try to get it open.

My friend's Gladius (HAIII, with pretty bad texture differences between head and body) unscrewed just fine, OTOH. There was a little glue on the threads, but not much. The reflector and electronics are larger than the ID of the body. The light cannot be assembled from the back. The electronics and reflector are mounted on a plastic tube (you see the end of it at the end of the light when you unscrew the tailcap). It has three flexible flat cables on the outside (for the three modes). The ball bearing is part of the alignment, but also provides contact. My friend got some silicone lube on it, with weird and nasty effects on performance.

Frankly, it looked a little fragile when taken apart. My advice: Don't touch it, unless you really, really, really want the mod.

Last edited:

Luminous

Newly Enlightened
elgarak said:

My Gladius (1st gen ceramic) won't budge, at all. No chance I will ever try to get it open.

My friend's Gladius (HAIII, with pretty bad texture differences between head and body) unscrewed just fine, OTOH. There was a little glue on the threads, but not much. The reflector and electronics are larger than the ID of the body. The light cannot be assembled from the back. The electronics and reflector are mounted on a plastic tube (you see the end of it at the end of the light when you unscrew the tailcap). It has three flexible flat cables on the outside (for the three modes). The ball bearing is part of the alignment, but also provides contact. My friend got some silicone lube on it, with weird and nasty effects on performance.

Frankly, it looked a little fragile when taken apart. My advice: Don't touch it, unless you really, really, really want the mod.

Thanks for your help. Do you know if the newer units are easier to open or does it just varies from light to light? I have a old Gladius but world really a Seoul modded one. I think I will try to open it.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luminous said:
Thanks for your help. Do you know if the newer units are easier to open or does it just varies from light to light? I have a old Gladius but world really a Seoul modded one. I think I will try to open it.
My personal experience is limited to those 2 lights :). Don't know how common it is.

Luna

Enlightened
elgarak said:

I don't but that. It seems to be there to act as a locating 'pin' to prevent the electronics from spinning as you screw the head on.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
I don't but that. It seems to be there to act as a locating 'pin' to prevent the electronics from spinning as you screw the head on.
Yes, but it provides contact. My friend had electrical problems -- light flashing, then going out -- from too much lubricant. He cleaned everything and checked after cleaning each part, but he needed to clean the ball to make the thing work properly.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came off without much ado. Just a twist with my hands and it unscrewed. I THINK it would be quite 'safe' to try twisting it by hand first... and if it can't budge, then its at your own risk if you want to boil, heat, vise etc.... If it budges the first time, then that's great :D

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an old Gladius, vise the body, double side tape then inter tube the head and open. replace the Lux with the Soul and WOW!
When you open the head loose, put the light in the plastic bag and open it by hand so you don't loose any parts.