Kl6 reflector plus 1xC-cell body - rendering

dcjs

Newly Enlightened
Gi there,

I just had a brain fart and wanted to check whether I'm out of my mind or if there's someone else who thinks this might be worth some more thought.
When AW announced his C-sized (well, just about) lithium cells I immdiately thought how cool a single C-cell body fo the KL6 would be, so I've been entertaining that thought for a while.
Now since the KL6 driver wouldn't run off a single 3,7 cell properly, it came to me to just use the awesome reflector (driver with LED can be removed via 3 screws, no permenant modification to the Kl6 needed!) and design a body with a new light engine.
The quick rendering below dimension-wise shows a body which houses a light engine with dimensions identical to the Maxlite light engine, which would allow me to use my Maxlite Seoul light engine with a regular 1,5V C-cell alkaline (would run forever with good throw) or another light engine (GD1000 with SSC LED? ) with a li-ion cell. Alternatively, the body could probable be made to fit a common Aleph light engine for exclusive use with li-ion cells.
Just imagine the runtimes you could get from 3300mAh of capacity! This should run something like in excess of 2,5 hours with 1 amp to the LED and throw like hardly anything else!:devil:
The lenght oft he whole package with a McClicky switch is 5,5 inches. I'm not aware of anything that would come close to offering this kind of output/throw and runtime in such a small package.
KL6-1xC-Cell.jpg

Now am I nuts or is this cool? :touche:

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the looks of it :D

Will a C-Lion reach all the way in the head or will it be to fat?

Benny

dcjs

Newly Enlightened
MorpheusT1 said:
Will a C-Lion reach all the way in the head or will it be to fat?

It would'nt be too fat, but since there has to be some space for the light engine, it doesn't go into the head anyway. The frnt end of the battery is sitting just at the end of the KL6 head.

I know this would be expensive to have it made, but maybe I can get the opportunity to use a lathe and make it by myself. Right now this just has "brain fart status" though, nothing serious and not at all thought-out as well as it should be for serious consideration.

Last edited:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw, nice rendering !

My opinion: Keep the single-cell config but have the KL6 head modded with more efficient high-power emitter (Cree or SSC, maybe Rebel, depending on focus/beam in L6 reflector).

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing more nice things from you.
Cheers !!