• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired F/S McLuxIII-27LT.. withdrawn

cy

Flashaholic
F/S McLuxIII-27LT with a few minutes of runtime. condition is as received from Don. note these came with tiny imperfections on body.

$250 shipped conus usps, insurance is extra. cannot be responsible for loss. withdrawn...

first to post "I'll take it" without change gets it. please PM for PP info

27lt.JPG

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
Re: F/S McLuxIII-27LT

light is original unmodded as received from don and has original 3 watt luxeon. I forget the exact bin... it was the most premium bin available at the time.

Note unmodded lights as received from Don are proven reliable. and IMHO have a higher value too.

lights modded with SSC P4/cree needs special insulation from grounding and are suspect for being unreliable unless proven otherwise. note not only does one need to prevent emitter from grounding. Aluminum MR reflector that was integral to original support structure is suspect to grounding out to tabs too.

SSC P4/cree modded lights have been known to fail. VS unmodded lights from Don have a proven track record for reliability.

this light has one of the best throws of any luxeon light and runs great on 1x 17670 li-ion.

If this light doesn't sell for asking price... will be glad to keep. Lights hand built by Don are precious, especially models he's no longer building.

here's a pic of 27LT showing 17670 li-ion cell. so runtime is not really a factor. ti bezel shown is available for additional $20 with 27LT. note ti bezel was not purchased from don. (will only sell ti bezel with 27lt)

27lt 2.JPG

Last edited:

Silversurfer

Enlightened

I'm trying to understand your point.

You say:

"Note unmodded lights as received from Don are proven reliable. and IMHO have a higher value too.

lights modded with SSC P4 needs special insulation from grounding and are suspect for being unreliable unless proven otherwise. note not only does one need to prevent emitter from grounding. Aluminum MR reflector that was integral to original support structure is suspect to grounding out to tabs too.

SSC P4 modded lights have been known to fail. VS unmodded lights from Don have a proven track record for reliability."

Question:

Are you saying that there have been instances of the 27LT-S failing, and that the 27LT-S should be assumed to be less reliable than the 27LT from Don using Luxeon emitters?

Or are you referring to mod's done by people other than Don?

I have a 27LT-S and I'm just wondering how you would have access to a statistically significant universe of 27LT-S failures.

ibcj

Enlightened

cy,

If you bought it when they were released, then it should be a UX1K. That was the standard for the 27LT at the time.

Gary123

Enlightened

I have the same question as Silversurfer.

Are you saying that the 27LT-S's hand made by Don suffer from reliability issues, and that they are less reliable than the older 3 watt versions? Or are you saying that aftermarket mods converting a 3 watt to a Seoul are less reliable? And where would you be getting your information? I think this is the first I have ever heard of this.

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll Take the Ti Bezel for 20.00 if you decide to seperate them :)

PayPal Standing By :)

cy

Flashaholic

SSC P4 lights by don are designed specifically for P4.

modded P4/cree lights in general (not just 27lt) that use aluminum reflectors that is part of support structure are suspect for problems.

anytime you convert to a positive slug like P4/cree, you bring new ground protection into play.

here's a link to a modded/failed Mcgizmo light with Cree
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150713

Don's SSC P4 specific lights have those ground/support issues worked out. VS a light modded by someone else. which may or may not be worked out.

anyways.... didn't mean to go into all this details... maybe a thread should be started on this topic?

does anyone want to buy my light? :D

Gary123 said:
I have the same question as Silversurfer.

Are you saying that the 27LT-S's hand made by Don suffer from reliability issues, and that they are less reliable than the older 3 watt versions? Or are you saying that aftermarket mods converting a 3 watt to a Seoul are less reliable? And where would you be getting your information? I think this is the first I have ever heard of this.

Last edited:

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 27LT has an annodized heatsink/bulkead, so is naturally isolated.

Ground insulation isn't an issue with these lights.

cy

Flashaholic

would not ever count on anodization as only insulator. but yes ground path for 27LT is provided by internal plated tube.

this is true for all lights that doesn't rely on body tube contact for ground path. HDS, PD, 27LT, etc.

note PD failure in above link also had simular ground path setup.

now back to Sale of my 27LT..... withdrawn..

kakster said:
The 27LT has an annodized heatsink/bulkead, so is naturally isolated.

Ground insulation isn't an issue with these lights.

Last edited: