Mag-Num Star

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just changed the stock bulb in my MagLite 6D for a Mag-num Star 6 cell. I wasn't expecting much from a £5 ($9) upgrade but I must say, I am very impressed. Perceived output has nearly doubled, beam is a pleasent white rather than horrible yellow. And, if that wasn't enough, the beam profile has been tidied up considerably. My 6D is back in service!

And my faith in incandescents restored.

I bought a brand new reflector and have a glass Mag-charger lens (window) on the way.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why exactly did you order a new reflector?

Do you want a more diffused beam or something?

Either way, glad you like your upgrade. I rarely have anything bigger than a 4D, and mostly I stick with the lowly 2C. One popular/cheap mod is to use a KPR112 or 113 on 3x123 cells in a 2C. Definately brighter than stock, but that's overdriving the bulb quite a bit. You can also pop that Xenon/Magnum Star 6D bulb in on those same 3x123 cells. Shorter runtime, but very bright light in a 2C package.

I'm pretty sure some have suggested using the 5D Magnum star bulb on the 3x123 cells, but I've never bought any to try. That would be overdriving the Xenon bulb a bit and would probably be at least 20% brighter than the same cells on the 6D bulb.

Also, in my experience, the Magnum Star bulbs tend to throw a bit better than similarly bright (and/or overdriven Krypton bulbs) because of the filament design.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to get a new reflector because I polished the old one a little too much, and managed to rub straight through to the blue plastic, oops. Had I had the fortune to live in the US, I would have got a metal, LOP or MOP reflector. In the UK, those are virtually unobtainable so it was easier to get another stock.

I do have a stock 2D just lying around. I might order another Mag-Num Star 6-cell and fabricate some kind of holder for 3 x 123 cells. That would be a cool little sleeper flashlight. Thanks for the inspiration.

Last edited:

robm

Enlightened
Mike - do you mind me asking why you cannot order an aluminium reflector from the US?
I am also in the UK, and source most parts from abroad.

Rob

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
robm said:
Mike - do you mind me asking why you cannot order an aluminium reflector from the US?
I am also in the UK, and source most parts from abroad.

Rob

Well, I could do, but I would need to investigate which suppliers will ship to the UK, and will do it reliably. I don't want shipping to cost the earth either.

Do you mind shedding some light on who you would obtain a LOP or ROP aluminium cammed reflector from? Help very much appreciated, thanks.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also changed my 6D krypton bulb with a xenon one and the result is very good especially for beam which is very brighter , but do you think that I can use another more powerful bulb with standard batteries??
thanks Filippo.
:sssh:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILIPPO said:
I have also changed my 6D krypton bulb with a xenon one and the result is very good especially for beam which is very brighter , but do you think that I can use another more powerful bulb with standard batteries??
thanks Filippo.
:sssh:

I think we may be approaching the output limit for current from the D-cell batteries with the Mag-Num Star bulb, and so the batteries couldn't keep up with a more powerful bulb. The solution I think is to use batteries more suitable to high-drain applications such as rechargables. If we were to use rechargable D cells, the 6D would only provide 7.2 volts, rather than the 9.0 it produces now.

At the moment, ROP and Mag85 upgrades are specifically for 2-3 cell Mags, not our 6Ds. Whilst you could just use dummy cells, I'm hoping for a 'SuperROP' conversion to be trialled soon. This would have 21.6 volts available, which I think is similar to what is required for the Osram Ostar LED array (for long life), or it could be a really powerful Incandescent.

Empyfree

Enlightened
MikeSalt said:
Well, I could do, but I would need to investigate which suppliers will ship to the UK, and will do it reliably. I don't want shipping to cost the earth either.

Do you mind shedding some light on who you would obtain a LOP or ROP aluminium cammed reflector from? Help very much appreciated, thanks.

Have a look in the Custom threads for "Fivemega" and his dual function aluminum reflectors. Mine arrived in the UK today with no fuss, and it's top quality kit.

robm

Enlightened

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
MikeSalt said:
At the moment, ROP and Mag85 upgrades are specifically for 2-3 cell Mags, not our 6Ds.

Don't dispair my big Mag owning friend.
6 NiMH Ds make a great ROP Hi. Also, it can drive a 5761 for over an hour.
9 NiMH 1/2Ds will run an 1185 for over an hour.
11 NiMH 1/2Ds will run a Mag625R

I'm going to be breaking up a 12V power pack for 6 of the Ds that will be going into my HA-III 6D for a SuperMag275.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Aha, so the 6D can become a Mag85 or ROP with truly usable run times?!?! Brilliant! I've got a glass lens (window) and I'm going to be ordering a FiveMega reflector in the near future anyway, so I' a good way there already.

Thanks

Mike

swampgator

Enlightened
MikeSalt said:
Ok, so I just need a bulb holder and maybe uprated switchgear (oh, and a bulb of course) and I'm there?

You need an upgraded reflector and an upgraded lens along with the 3854 bulbs. I would think the stock switch would be fine.