Long time listener, first time caller....

notsosurefire

Newly Enlightened
Hello all

I've been reading the forums for a little while now whilst I was trying to buy a torch for work. I'm in the UK, so getting a really decent torch has been very difficult.

I finally decided on a Surefire 6P, imported from America, and I'm very happy with it. I am very suprised by the way it lights up the place, as when I'm shining it on buildings that are clearly about 100 metres away it lights up the wall.... The size is perfect, although I would like it to be brighter for some reason...!

I've developed a bug - I want more..... They're such cool gadgets, my mate at work has a Surefire E2E which is very decent but I swear is not as bright as my 6P!

I've been looking at loads of torches, Wolfeyes (can't get in UK for love nor money), new Cree Huntlight, but I really want a Streamlight TL-3 - it looks even brighter than my 6P and not much longer in length and it looks like it will fit in my belt holster.

Well, any tips and tricks, advice etc will be appreciated!

Shaun

Majord

Newly Enlightened
Welcome form a fellow newbie. I too just recently joined (a couple months now). When I joined I owned 1 AA minimag, 1 Coast Lenser something that I gave away and some regular CHEAP D cell lights.
I've been hooked bad! (signature line :ohgeez: ) My lights are definitely "users" as I will have all of them in the woods camping, hunting etc... I can't wait for the seasons to begin! I also can't wait to start buying Surefire Crees and a KT2 BK Turbohead for my 9P when it becomes available.

Welcome again!

Last edited:

Mike 208

Enlightened
You may want to consider buying the A19 adaptor from Surefire, which extends the body one battery length; using three batteries, you can then run either the P90 lamp assembly (105 lumens for one hour) or the P91 lamp assembly (200 lumens for about 20 minutes).

notsosurefire

Newly Enlightened
Mike 208 said:
You may want to consider buying the A19 adaptor from Surefire, which extends the body one battery length; using three batteries, you can then run either the P90 lamp assembly (105 lumens for one hour) or the P91 lamp assembly (200 lumens for about 20 minutes).

Sounds like a plan, do you recommend this over the Streamlight TL-3?

notsosurefire

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at the L2D-CE as a Cree based LED option, although will it be brighter than my 6P?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D-CE should definately be brighter than the 6P with the P60 lamp. Should be cheap on batteries as well.

The quickest upgrade would be a replacement lamp for yor 6P. You can get the P61 - it's twice as bright, but the batteries only last about 20 minutes and it doesn't really seem to throw any further. You could get a 9V lamp, and use 2 R123 cells. 'Free' runtime, but runtime will be short.

The TL-3 is a great option for an incand. It's about three times as bright as your 6P and probably throws twice as well. You can run it on 2x17500 cells for 'free' runtime.

Be sure to read about the dangers of using LiIon cells though.

notsosurefire

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean about "free" runtime?

Also, dangers about LiIon cells i.e. they like to explode now and again? Most cameras, mobiles etc. use Li cells, and I have loads of them around....!

I'm on the verge of purchasing the TL-3, unless someone can convince me that there is something that will kill it costing around the same, plus making my 6P look like a church candle!!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Free runtime means running on rechargeable cells. With 2x123 lights, it's pretty hard to find a rechargeable option. With the 3x123 cell lights, or with a 2x123 light but with a 3x123 bulb installed, you can run on either 2xR123 cells or 2x17500 cells.

If you want throw, the TL-3 is definately the way to go in that price range. Some other lights will put out as much total light, but with less throw. They are perhaps better for completely lighting up a relatively small area. For outdoor use, the TL-3 is awesome and to be honest, it's pretty much the only incandescent light I still use.

roadie

Enlightened
how abt do a MOD a MAG project?? or get a readily one? or half half ???

via cree, Luxeons, leds (...) or halogen 20w to ... 250w ??

:)

molite

Newly Enlightened
Welcome Notsosurefire!
"Free run time" refers to rechargeable batteries as apposed to disposable.

You said you like Wolfeyes...

Mike@pts is a member here and his web site says he ships internationally.
He gives all cpf members 10% discount you have to set up an account on his website, then e-mail him then he updates your login to give you 10% discount on everything you order.
I really don't think you'll be happy with anything less than 500 lumens.
My experience is you keep wanting brighter than what you have. So you keep spending your way up the lumen ladder.
I spent A LOT of money on that ladder and would have saved a ton of money if I just went to the top rung to start with.
With that said, check out this 1800 lumen Wolfeyes HID I have one it is really sweet.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-17-74-6236&tb=1

Or you can spend your way up the lumen ladder and spend 5 times the amount of the 24Wboxer to only buy it later like me.

And check out the Mag Mods 700 lumens through 4500 lumens available here on CPF.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Mike 208 said:
A similar, but less expensive, alternative would be to get G&P 1 cell extender and G&P 9V bulb from Lighthound.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there Shaun, welcome to CPF.

Yep the UK and Malaysia share the same fate, expensive surefires!. So hang around here and the B/S/T section, alot of reasonable offers. Get lights that uses rechargeables, cheaper in the long run. One member AW sells these with many sizes and also chargers here at the dealer corner. Another member/moderator UNFORGIVEN also does overseas shipping ....could be useful to you. GTG and all the best...........
Meor

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
doh, Surefire and prices :( Just searching for a Z59 for my 6P-Cree-18650-flupic mod. € 58,-- here by now.

unfortunately You got the wrong light. Some 15 years ago, the 6P was great. And a start for more (8X, 9N, ...) for me.
But now, nothing in this size range beats the Fenix L2D-CE AND this light has more output by more runtime, white light, the very useable multilevel and much cheaper batts.

The 6P by now is only a good host for powerled application with larger battery than AA (which is Fenix-Land)
same goes for almost every light in this size. f.e. my 8X (modded with Lux III and Mobdar) will soon see an upgrade to Cree --> 3.5 hours on 1000 mA from the 4000 mAh battery.

Last edited:

notsosurefire

Newly Enlightened
The cree dropin for my 6p sounds great, I might give that a bash....

That Wolfeyes HID is too big. The 6P is about the size I need, which is why the TL-3 is so tempting, it's not much bigger at all and it fits in my duty holster..

The only thing is, I might wait to see how the Cree revolution takes hold, the runtimes are really making me consider a purchase and dump the incans!

tacticalstuff

Newly Enlightened
welcome and you will soon find uses for every light you buy. One for each room in the house, 4 in the car, 2 in the office, etc etc ... you get the idea!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome fellow UK member.
WARNING: It all starts very simply, "I just need a torch for work", and then it's downhill all the way. Six months time you will be very poor. Your friends and family will be fed up with you. Their eyes will glaze over when you show them yet another new torch that you have purchased/modified/broken.
Or is that just me.....?