g&p 1watt led in my g2

Elton

Newly Enlightened
well they say they wont work in a surefire g2 will there wrong i got it from lighthound.com well so far i love its really bright and the beam is perfect heres some pics i think they speak for them self
Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Last edited:

Elton

Newly Enlightened
i thought it may help someone looking to upgrade to led and i didint know there where such leds for the surfires ill thank this fourm for helping me

conor

Newly Enlightened
the reason they say it doesnt work in a G2, is not because of a fitment issue....

its due to the fact that the plastic housing of the g2 doesnt pull the heat away from the LED, which results in the led overheating eventually and dying.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had two of the G&P 3W modules. When they first came out, you had to specify that it was to be used in a G2 vs a 6P. With the G2, it came with an extra spring. My first module was straight from the factory and it had the extra spring. It worked fine and I never tried to use it without the extra spring. The second module I got was actually modded by a member with a TW0J (or maybe a TW0H) and it came with a Maxfire and did not have the extra spring. That module also worked 100% fine without the extra spring in both of my G2s.

A bit later, I got a Vital Gear body for that module and it got a bit warm when run on 2xR123 cells, but stayed perfectly cool with either 2x123 cells or with 1 17670. I'm not offering it as advice, but I think the 1W or 3W is fine in a plastic body as long as you don't run it with R123 cells.

Elton

Newly Enlightened
well my moms got a 6p that she dont use i should buy it from her :D since she uses here streamlight strion more

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elton said:
well my moms got a 6p that she dont use i should buy it from her :D since she uses here streamlight strion more

You've got a pretty cool mom. My mom had 2 plastic 2D lights and a Fenix L2P that I gave her. Did your mom actually buy her own 6P and Strion or did you buy them for her?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. I have 2 of them that I've modded with Seoul P4 emitters. They're awesome, probably between 2&3 times brighter than stock. I'm not kidding. I think the 1W and 3W drop ins run very close in current. I think the 1W runs at 450-ish (at LEAST) while the 3W runs at 650-ish. The modded 1W are INSANELY bright to be running less than 400-ish ma. Its a great upgrade path. You just have to drill out the reflector a bit since you have to screw down the reflector more to get the proper focus, say a 7/16ths' bit.

Elton

Newly Enlightened
na she won the 6p years ago at a raffle and she bought the streamlight her self

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also recommend cutting down the positive spring on these a bit too so theres' not so much pressure on the batteries. You'll need to use a set of needle nose pliers to bend the cut end in toward the center so it makes good contact with the positive battery terminal.

Elton

Newly Enlightened
ok my mom dont have a 6p but its a defender the older one ill be useing that instead of the g2 :) also the stupid spring came off the bulb guess ill be glueing it back on

Last edited: