Arc LS

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Hey guys,

The other day I was in one of my local outdoor supply stores and noticed a rather interesting looking flashlight in a display cupboard. I didn't have a lot of time to investigate but I took a peek and saw the Arc logo on the side.

Now, I'm familiar with the Arc AAA lights of course, but didn't know much about the other versions. After doing a bit of research, I realised that this is, in fact, the Arc LS that this chap has in stock. It is displayed in a rather nice wooden box and looks to be brand new.

Now, I'm rather partial to single CR123 cell lights and its pretty exciting to see such a high end light in my part of the world (he's asking the equivalent of around $135 for it. I've also discovered that this light isn't made anymore by Arc. So is it worth picking this puppy up, or is it quite easily available here on B/S/T? And finally is it worth getting if I already have an HDS 42XR and a Peak Carribbean?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have much experience w/ the Arc LS, but if you already have a B42 I wouldn't think it would add much. And since you didn't know much about it already, doesn't sound like buying it to keep as a shelf-queen or souvenir would be up your alley either, even though it'd be mint.

I'd say, spend the $7 on an SSC from dealextreme.com and swap it into your HDS B42 - very incredible increase in output.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is wild if this light is NOS (new old stock) that has just slipped by without being bought. Great light and build quality, a real gem with plenty of mods available, but if this light is NOS, it would be kind of special since Arc LLC has been gone for some time now and a new specimen remains, someone on this forum would probably be interested. Awesome light regardless.

cy

Flashaholic
I'd say jump on it!

new old stock on ARC LS is all but gone. if it's got a picture on side of light. it's an ARC4+.

ARC lettering on bezel indicates which ARC LS model.

one of the charms of an older ARC LS is the correct amount of light is emitted. it's simply a good overall EDC. it's a completely difference light from ARC4+.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are the collector type, then maybe. Otherwise why pay top dollar for a light that's no longer cutting edge?

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. It would be a bit of a luxury right now, but its intriguing nontheless. I'm going to go back for a better look. Might try negotiating, I doubt the owner knows what he has there. I know the excitement is all about the Cree's these days, but if it gives a useful amount of light and has a long runtime, that's good enough for me. My benchmark is the HDS 42XR, that light is just the shizz in my book. If the Arc LS offers more of the same (without the multi-levels) I would be interested. Its the build quality which appeals to me (and the fact that its not widely available anymore - admittedly.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Arc is coming out with a new version of the LS sometime in the near future. There's a nice long thread in the Manufacturers section. I personally don't think it will arrive for many months and it will surely be expensive when it arrives but I'm thinking about getting one. Most of what I've read about the old LS is very favorable. Then again, I'm almost certainly going to get one of the new HDS/Novatac EDC120's...it's supposed to be here in April/May. Yea!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
I'd say jump on it!

new old stock on ARC LS is all but gone. if it's got a picture on side of light. it's an ARC4+.

ARC lettering on bezel indicates which ARC LS model.

one of the charms of an older ARC LS is the correct amount of light is emitted. it's simply a good overall EDC. it's a completely difference light from ARC4+.

+1

Beautiful lights...even better if you can land a minty fresh, untouched one.
smile.gif

CFU