DARN thieves

Well, I was finishing off some work in a school computer lab and left my text book there.

The next day, I went to lost & found and no textbook was turned in, yet my book isn't in the lab. CKING THIEVES!! :rant::rant:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Text books are big money - the idiots sell them back to the bookstore, and the smarter ones sell them online. I've lost books before and it sucks bigtime..

greenLED

Flashaholic
:awman: Yeah, those text books have decent re-sale money.

Gotta be careful at Valley too, Handy - there's people just roaming the floors looking for "misplaced" stuff: everything from books to laptops. :green:

goldenlight

Enlightened
Pity they don't cut off a thief's hand. Perhaps the only thing, except for oil, to come out of the Middle East, of real value.... Here in the 'civilized' world, I'd make it for a 3rd offense.

I had a briefcase stolen once; many small valuable items in it, including a gold plated pen and pencil st given to me by my now long deceased father. :scowl:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
goldenlight said:
Perhaps the only thing, except for oil, to come out of the Middle East, of real value....
That, and written language, cement, irrigation and agriculture, algebra, and the wheel and the plough, just to name a few.

That said, if we had that rule in the US, my hand would've gotten cut off when I was 14 and didn't know any better.

john

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
That, and written language, cement, irrigation and agriculture, algebra, and the wheel and the plough, just to name a few.
john
Let's not forget celestial navigation and fundamental astronomical knowledge. A vast number of stars in the sky have Arabic names for good reason.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you ever wonder why the numbers we use (1-9, 0) are called Arabic numerals?

They are a lot more handy than Roman numerals (I, V, X).

Burgess

Flashaholic
Had a College textbook stolen in October of 1971.

My name and ID was "rubber-stamped" all over the thing,

literally DOZENS of times. On many pages, too.

After the theft, i quickly took flyers to each and every Bookstore on campus. Also every Lost & Found site.

Never heard a peep of response from anyone.

More than 35 years later --

it STILL pi$$es me off !
mad.gif

Can you tell ?
icon8.gif

Sorry about your loss, Handlobraesing.

Best of luck (and health) in the future.

swampgator

Enlightened
Burgess said:
More than 35 years later --

it STILL pi$$es me off !
mad.gif

Easy brother, you keep that up and you'll blow a head gasket.

I used to work for campus Police department and I was always amazed that things ever made it into lost and found, considering the cost of textbooks and calculators (this was before laptops were in wide use).

I always felt bad for some poor guy or girl who left their bag unattended in the cafeteria and lost almost $1K worth of stuff.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:

That said, if we had that rule in the US, my hand would've gotten cut off when I was 14 and didn't know any better.

john

I bet if you saw a few people walking around with a stump for a left hand at 12 you would have figured it out by 14.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
dammitjim said:
I bet if you saw a few people walking around with a stump for a left hand at 12 you would have figured it out by 14.
:laughing: You're probably right!

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
swampgator said:
Easy brother, you keep that up and you'll blow a head gasket.

Or more accurately, he will reblow the head gasket that blew in October of 1971.

swampgator

Enlightened
dammitjim said:
Or more accurately, he will reblow the head gasket that blew in October of 1971.

Either way it doesn't sound like fun.

Like my sister tells my two-year old: Out with the bad air, in with the happy air